Megaminx beginners method

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by Zarxrax, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Zarxrax

Zarxrax Member

Jan 7, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm trying to learn to solve the megaminx but I'm having trouble. I've tried watching some videos on youtube, but the ones I have seen are kind of hard to follow. I think it would be better if I just had a list of algorithms like I used when I learned the 3x3.
    Specifically, I'm getting stuck about half way through. I solved the first layer, and then all of the edges on the 2nd layer. I don't understand how to insert the 2nd layer corners though.

2. Ellis

Ellis Member

Sep 23, 2008
    WCA:
    2008HALL02
    All the corners apart from the last layer can be put in exactly the same way as the corners of the first layer.. just pretend one of the colors is really the D face color.

3. Zarxrax

Zarxrax Member

Jan 7, 2009
    North Carolina
    I can solve the outermost corner with no problem, but how do I solve a corner that is between 2 solved edges? Was I supposed to solve the corners first?

4. Ellis

Ellis Member

Sep 23, 2008
    WCA:
    2008HALL02
    well not all the corners, typically what you want to do is put one of the edges in, then put in a corner/edge pair. You don't want to have two solved edges with an unsolved corner in between.

edit- to clarify... having 2 solved edges with an unsolved corner that is above and between those edges is ok, but you don't want an unsolved corner to be below two solved edges.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. Zarxrax

Zarxrax Member

Jan 7, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok, I think I've got it now.

6. hr.mohr

hr.mohr Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Odense, Denmark
    WCA:
    2007CHRI02
    YouTube:
    hrmohr
    Zarxrax: check the example solves done by Erik and Nakajima, or Simon Westlund's beginners tutorial. They are great videos.

7. TMOY

TMOY Member

Jun 29, 2008
    WCA:
    2008COUR01
    Why ? It happens to me all the time :p
    Say the bottom two edges of the F face are solved but the bottom corner is not. Say also that corner is in the UL(BL) position. To solve it:
    - if the F sticker is on the L face, apply F2 U' L U L' F'2;
    - if the F sticker is on the BL face, apply F'2 U'2 R' U2 R F2;
    - if the F sticker is on the U face, apply DL' L U' L' DL.

8. Ellis

Ellis Member

Sep 23, 2008
    WCA:
    2008HALL02
    Well yea, you can solve those cases without too much trouble. I usually just do it like a standard f2l case, although yours look better (I haven't tried them). What I was really getting at is your goal should not be to set up the edges like that to insert all the corners this way.

9. MichaelErskine

MichaelErskine Premium Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Sherwood, Nottingham, UK
    WCA:
    2008ERSK01
    YouTube:
    msemtd
    I think the Megaminx, more than the cubic puzzles, is best learned by 1-to-1 tuition.

Yeah, I know it's hard to find! :)

It took me a good while to get my head around the "masses-of-F2L-at-funny-angles" and I'm sure I would've just "got it" if someone were there to point out the similarities with (and differences from) the 3x3x3.

10. TMOY

TMOY Member

Jun 29, 2008
    WCA:
    2008COUR01