Megaminx Algorithms

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by cubeclimber, Mar 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. cubeclimber

cubeclimber Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Hi,

Could someone please post a list of algorithms for solving the Megaminx!!

I am strugging and cant work out how to progress from the stage i am at. I have solved one face and 2 layers including the middle corners to the other faces.

Thanks

2. coolmission

coolmission Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Luxembourg & Aachen
    WCA:
    2009SPAN01
  3. blgentry

blgentry Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    You'll hear over and over how the megaminx is "just like" or "very similar" to a 3x3x3. It's mostly true: It's quite similar. You can do F2L to solve several "layers" of the megaminx. The first set of F2L is sort of obvious: It's the first layer corners and the edges above them. The next set of F2L pairs are the corners and edges above the ones you just solved. It's a little hard to describe in words, but you can use F2L to solve the vast majority of the cube from here, being a little creative.

When it comes to the last layer, I had trouble. I was able to get it partially done using adapted algs from the 3x3x3, but I honestly couldn't get the whole way by myself. Maybe it's because I was doing it with a megaminx simulator (I don't have a real megaminx puzzle). Maybe I was too lazy.

Either way, I went looking for solutions and didn't find many that I liked. There are a few here on the wiki page:

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Megaminx_Speedsolving_Methods

One of those might float your boat. If not, I found a very simple solution that I like quite a bit at the Meffert's site (google found it for me). It's here:

http://www.mefferts.com/puzzles/megasol1.html

You can use that as a complete solution, or do what I did, and use F2L to get all but the last layer, and then use the end of that solution to solve the LL.

Finally, the simulator I was using has two solutions, but they are mostly in words, as opposed to algs. They list a few algs, but not many:

http://virtualpolyhedra.googlepages.com/megaminx.html

I was able to get most of the way there with their words explanation, but I couldn't ever quite complete the last layer with their method.

I hope that helps.

Brian.

4. IanTheCuber

IanTheCuber Member

Oct 28, 2011
    In the clouds
    WCA:
    2013SCAH01
    YouTube:
    UCZVfZuvPSoBn3Ch2s2v
    I can try to help, but I can't make a website or anything like that.

I can make some images using paint on Windows 7.

5. drewsopchak

drewsopchak Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Central Upstate New York
    WCA:
    2010SOPC01
    YouTube:
    sebucwerd
    MAN! learn to use google.....

6. Jaysammey777

Jaysammey777 Member

Nov 24, 2009