Math Problem - 12

Discussion in 'Puzzle Theory' started by Lucas Garron, Aug 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

Sune as a single commutator

I think I should post a problem sometime. This, however, will be a cube problem; nevertheless, it's a lot like the others presuming some cube knowledge.

Many cubers know knows that the Sune (RUR'URU2R') can be written as a two commutators ([R, U][U2, R]) or as a conjugated commutator ([R U2; U', R']). But even Johannes didn't know it could be written as a single commutator. In fact, I wasn't even sure until I tried it, and the task turned out to be pretty fun.

So, the problem: Write the Sune as a commutator in the pure form [moves, moves].
    (Doesn't have to be pretty unless you want it to be.)

If you've found it or already know it, please use spoiler tags, as seeing a solution even for a glance may be distracting for people who haven't solved it yet.

And if you think that's too easy: It's well-known that commutators generate all the even permutations. Show that any even permutation can be written as a single commutator, or show that it can't be done.

2. DavidWoner

DavidWoner The Punchmaster

May 7, 2008
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    WCA:
    2008WONE01
    YouTube:
    vault312
    i found the ones for U-perm, still working on the sune one.

EDIT: im pretty sure these are actually wrong. yes. they are wrong. i will remove them now.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  3. Tim Reynolds

Tim Reynolds Premium Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Boston, MA
    WCA:
    2005REYN01
    YouTube:
    timbreynolds
    That was fun to work on...I can't really explain my steps very well, but I got
    [R U R2, R U2 R2] = R U R2 R U2 R2 R2 U' R' R2 U2 R' = R U R' U2 U' R U2 R'= sune
    now working on the general case...

4. nitrocan

nitrocan Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    WCA:
    2008CETI01
    YouTube:
    nitrocan
    I don't know commutators that well, but this doesn't require so much commutator knowledge I guess. I will give it a try:
    R U R' U R U2 R' as A B A' B'
    I'm guessing A will start with R U and B will start with R U2 and they should be 3 or 4 moves most. I will call the 3rd (and if it's 4 moves the 3rd and the 4th) move x(A) and y(B)
    Our commutator can be written as : R U x R U2 y x' U' R' y' U2 R'
    so x R U2 y x' U' R' y' must be R' U R
    then our x becomes R2 and then we can see that:
    R U R2 R U2 y R2 U' R' y' U2 R' = R U R' U R U2 R'
    then U2 y R2 U' R' y' must be U R
    then y is R2 so that in cancels the R2 and U2 U' makes U and R' R2 makes R
    so R U x is R U R2 and R U2 R2, our commutator becomes:
    [R U R2, R U2 R2]
    this wasn't so easy so I'm not going to answer the 2nd question :D

5. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Do you know the answer?

6. cuBerBruce

cuBerBruce Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Malden, MA, USA
    WCA:
    2006NORS01
    YouTube:
    cuBerBruce
    Actually, every legal position of Rubik's cube is an even permutation, and half of them can't be generated by commutators (of legal Rubik's cube moves). Apparently by "even permutation," you really meant that the edge permutation is even and the corner permutation is even. :)

Assuming that's what you really meant, Joyner's book Adventures in Group Theory has the answer, but his proof "cheats" by using another theorem.