• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets Discussion and Help thread

teh yoshi

So I just added plastic thickness measurements for the new YuXin Black Kirin 3x3 and 4x4 to my spreadsheet.

These puzzles are quite interesting. Especially the 3x3, they come out of the box with no lube and feeling sandy to the point it's really a gross feeling, like it gave me goosebumps because the plastic is so frosted, it's probably more accurate to compare it to peach fuzz than sand paper. But because of this weird texture, they break in incredibly fast and will leave a lot of plastic dust behind only after a few solves. I can't say for sure how long they can last because of this oddly soft plastic, but the more broken in they are (which doesn't take much), the more promising they become. Their plastic thickness is the thinnest I've come across yet, especially the 3x3, so any magnets may be easily susceptible. I can't wait to see how they'll react to 50k, but I'll have to magnetize them first.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Does anyone know what are the magnets used in the galaxy v2 m? I want to magnetize mine.

Well there's this video, but when I looked up the magnets he recommends I found out that it would actually cost me more to buy the magnets than to buy a factory-magnetized version (which I've heard actually has slightly different-shaped pieces inside). I decided that for now the non-magnetic version is pretty darn good for me, but good luck!

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Does anyone have an idea what magnets are used in the factory Yuxin Huanglong 3x3 M ? I have the M version and a standard version which I want to magnetise with slightly stronger magnets if possible but need to obviously know what is in the factory M version.

teh yoshi

Does anyone have an idea what magnets are used in the factory Yuxin Huanglong 3x3 M ? I have the M version and a standard version which I want to magnetise with slightly stronger magnets if possible but need to obviously know what is in the factory M version.
N35 4x2 in corners and N35 4x1 in edges. If you want something just a tad stronger, you can just use N35 4x2 all around. Or since you already have the M version, just get some N35 4x1 and double up the magnets inside the edge pieces.

If you can find some, I'd prefer getting N35 6x1 if you want to magnetize a new cube. The wider diameter gives off a larger magnetic field, which provides a smoother snapping feel and corrects rotations earlier than 4x2.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
N35 4x2 in corners and N35 4x1 in edges. If you want something just a tad stronger, you can just use N35 4x2 all around. Or since you already have the M version, just get some N35 4x1 and double up the magnets inside the edge pieces.

If you can find some, I'd prefer getting N35 6x1 if you want to magnetize a new cube. The wider diameter gives off a larger magnetic field, which provides a smoother snapping feel and corrects rotations earlier than 4x2.
Awesome, thanks for that. I do have a bunch of 4x2 N35's. I also have some N38 5x1.5 but they may be a little too strong. Anything else I will have to order off of eBay which will unfortunately take about 4 months to get to me with our useless postal service.

teh yoshi

Looks like you'll have to open up the cubies and take a look inside to see if any of the magnets have shifted. Magnets don't just weaken or anything, so something probably has come loose.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
FWIW: the YLM 6x6 has room inside for 4mm diameter magnets, but no larger. Thickness between corners and outer wings is approximately 0.059", the other 2 layers thickness is approximately 0.065". I intend to use 4x1 n38 on the inner slice, 4x1.5 n38 on the second slice, and half and half 4x1 n38 and 4x1 n52 for corners. I'll report back in a week or two, I've only just ordered the magnets.

Trexrush1

WCA
2013MAZU02
My Huanglong M 3x3 has had 3 magnets dislodge over time, so i disassembled but i dont know how to reglue the magnets back on. Any tips?

teh yoshi

If you're on a budget and you don't mind waiting nearly a month, you can look for any magnets on eBay as long as they're N35 grade.

If you need specialized magnets such as different grades in a more specific dimension, like N42 5x1mm or N52 3x2mm, and you don't mind paying more for what you need, and you need magnets relatively quickly, you can check out Gaussboys.

Bui An

So I recently magnetised weipo, yuxin little magic and wuque and i think i did quite well

weipo: i feel like i can barely feel the magnet, like mgc feel. however it does its job, less overturning

yuxin little magic: it feels quite strong at first because i follow same non magnetise tension. after loosening the tension, it feels good. i have always like its scratchy feeling

wuque: the outer layer a little strong but inner is okay

next project is yuxin red. i have weichuang gts as my 5x5 but i dont feel like magnetise it because i think i will just get aochuang gts m

Did anyone try to magnetise yuxin red and how does it feel if I follow teh yoshi sheet?

And if I cant find n52 4x1, can i replace with any more traditional sizes

Bui An

N35 4x2 for yuxin lm 3x3 and weipo

N35 4x2 outer and 2 n35 3x2 inner( basicall n35 3x4). I asked you about the inner few days ago