• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Magnets thread

N50 4x2 is ridiculously strong for any 3x3, provided they are the real deal (since many sellers on eBay will actually end up being N35, anyway). N35 4x2 will be far too weak for the GTS2 due to how thick the plastic is in that cube. In general, you want strong magnets for fast cubes and weaker magnets for slower and controllable cubes. The GTS2 is on the faster side, so I believe the best magnets for that cube would be N42 5x1, but you'd have to buy that at special magnet shops online such as Gaussboys if you're based in the US. The feeling of that magnet is strong, but not overbearing, and due to it being wider than 4mm discs, they feel a lot smoother and less bumpy or snappy.
OK, so where can I get this type of magnet if I am not in the US? I searched eBay, and the closest I could find was N42 5x2mm, and N42 5x1.4mm. Do you think this is fine? Or is it too strong as well? I also found N50 5x0.5mm and N35 5x2mm.

Last edited:
OK, so where can I get this type of magnet if I am not in the US? I searched eBay, and the closest I could find was N42 5x2mm, and N42 5x1.4mm. Do you think this is fine? Or is it too strong as well? I also found N50 5x0.5mm and N35 5x2mm.
You can find N42 5x1 on AliExpress.
You can also find N45 5x1 on Supramagnets. They're from China, so surely they'll ship internationally. The difference in strength from N42 5x1 is hardly noticeable to basically negligent.

The magnets I recently ordered from FastTech just arrived, and it's finally time to make all of my remaining non-magnetic puzzles magnetic!

Just a quick note for anyone else ordering from FastTech: the actual sizes of the magnets seem to be about 15% smaller than the listed sizes.
- "4×1.5" is actually 4×1.30
- "4×2" is actually 4×1.71 (this is closer to 1.5 than to 2, lol)
- "5×1" is actually 5×0.83

I think @One Wheel mentioned that 4×1.5 won't fit in the Wuji's corners, but hopefully these 4×1.3 magnets will fit? (Worst case is that they don't fit and I don't magnetise the outer layers, I guess.)

---

On a mostly unrelated note, have people tried magnetising the internal edges of a 4×4×4?
So, I tried this on a spare Wuque, with the 5×0.8 N52 magnets in the internal edges and 4×1.7 N38 in the wings. (I earlier mistakenly assumed that the internal edges would fit 1-mm thick magnets, but they don't. Just as well that the magnets I got were actually slightly thinner.) Way too weak, barely even noticeable. The plastic gets in the way of making the magnets perfectly aligned, so it looks like this (side view; not to scale). I used Blu Tack rather than glue for these magnets, so I can remove them and try modding the pieces to make the alignment better, although I don't really expect this to change much.

Also, as the magnets are significantly closer to the core (compared to how the inner/inner layers are usually magnetised), that also means less torque for the same amount of force.

Up next: Wushuang M, then Wuji M.

Last edited: