Magnets thread

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Rcuber123, Nov 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Just magnetized my third xinghen - I've done 4x1 N35, 4x1 N38 (magnets from gaussboys) and just did 1/10'' x 1/16'' N42 magnets from Apex (I think?)

This third magnet comes in between the 4x1 n35 and 4x1 n38. I found the n35 too weak (another forumer agreed) and the n38 is nice but I wanted to back off the strength just a hair...

I think for my preferences, these magnets are perfect! The click is noticable but its subtle, less pronounced compared to the N38 4x1. Diameter may also play a role - these are 3 vs 4mm. Anyway I'd recommend either the N38 4x1 or 1/10'' x 1/16 n42.

I have 50 more so will do a chuwen and see how that feels. I have 4x1 n38 in a chuwen and I like it better compared to 4x1 n38 in a xinghen.

Still need to do my sail, will report in. Actually I have notes for all the cubes I've done and will put a chart in here at some point.

Thanks again to DMCubing for his awesome videos and feedback, I'd never have tried this without his hard work + feedback.

DMCubing likes this.
  2. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Had a little more gas in the tank so did a chuwen with the same magnets (1/10 x 1/16 n42) - works well, but I prefer the feel of these in the xinghen, its a little too weak in the chuwen for my preferences anyway, though still stabilizes the cube without getting in your way while turning.

Neither cube is lubed - I can balance this out with a slower lube in the chuwen. But for me anyway 4x1 n38 in the chuwen is great.

UPDATE: after some more time with the chuwen with 1/10 x 1/16 n42 I like it more, I think this magnet works well in this cube as well!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    My next 2x2 to magnetize is the cyclone boys feihu sculpted - awesome 2x2 out of the box. I'll start with 4x1 N38 but would love to hear suggestions.

4. dboeren

dboeren Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Marietta, GA
    I decided to give magmodding a try on a couple of cheap cubes that were on sale at TheCubicle. So I've got a CangFeng 4x4 and a JiaoShi MF3 3x3 on the way as well as a batch of 4x2 N35 magnets off eBay. If all goes well and I want to do some of my better cubes I'll pick up gauss boys for sure.

My eventual goal would be to try magnetizing one of my 6x6's - I have a WuHua that I really like and I just ordered a Yuxin Red plus Yuxin 5x5 springs to try modding. What magnets would be recommended for these? Do I have to worry about magnets not physically fitting inside the small pieces?

Has anyone tried putting magnets in JUST the inner edges on a big cube and not doing the corners to keep the outer layers as fast as possible? Just curious... I may try doing my 6x6 in two phases where I magnetize all the inner edges first, try it, and then magnetize the corners so I can compare the feel both ways.

5. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    On the 4x4 you're going to want slightly weaker magnets on the center slice than on the corners. It's better with stronger pull on the inner layers, but you have to double up the magnets there and I don't think you want double the strength. I used 4x2 N38s on the outer layers, and 4x1.5 N38s on the inner slice on my Yuxin Blue, and it's a pretty strong snap but a good balance. I might use the same sizes in N35 if I did it again.

Yes. I don't have a WuHua or a Yuxin Red, so you may be fine, but when I magnetized my Aoshi I had to use 3mm diameter magnets along the inner slice. I used 4x2 N35s for the outer layers and corners, and 3x2 (actually 3x1 stacked) N50 (advertised, probably weaker) on the inner slice. The outer layers are about right, but I would definitely go stronger on the inner slice. I might also go a little stronger along the slice between the inner and outer wings.

I'm really happy with my Yufu that I did that with. I didn't do it so much to keep the outer layers fast, it was just because I couldn't fit magnets in the corner pieces, but it worked out nicely. The hard part of a 6x6 is the middle, because the wing half is a small piece, and in 24 of them you need 2 separate magnets. I used a plastic picnic knife to keep them separate.

6. dboeren

dboeren Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Marietta, GA
    Thanks for your advice One Wheel. I'll start with the 3x3 first. I will only have one size/strength of magnets so I'll have to decide whether to have too-strong centers, pad them out with some paper or thin cardstock to weaken them (my wife is into crafts and has all sorts of paper), or place another order and have to wait for them come in to do the 4x4.

I guess if I eventually do the 6x6 I'll need to open the pieces and measure what diameter magnets will actually fit before planning what to order.

7. Zmily

Zmily Member

Aug 2, 2017
    So, i'm trying to figure out what magnets should i buy for my 2x2 chuwen and 3x3 gts2 and i messed around with magnets calculators to have an idea of the pull force for each magnet and i'm getting mixed results.
    I've tried supermagnete.pt, kjmagnetics.com, frenergy.com.au, magcraft.com and usneodymiummagnets.com calculators and i get this results for this magnets:

3x1.5 n52 - 290g 217g 330g 337g 348g
    3x2 n35 - 228g 181g 280g 317g 320g
    4x1 n38 - 224g 149g 170g 237g 224g
    4x1 n50 - 297g 195g 230g 300g 293g

The proportions don't make sense, in some calculators a magnet is stronger and in others it's weaker by comparison to another magnet.

Which one is correct or am i missing something here?

8. The calculators are a useful tool in helping to give some predictable values, but until you actually try the magnets in a cube, you really don't know how they're going to feel.

After making 11 prototype GTS2 M cubes I can fairly confidently say the N48 5x1 magnet (apexmagnets.com) is probably the best one for that cube for a nice medium magnetic pullforce feel.

For the Chuwen, an N52 3x1.5 (gaussboys.com) works well.

9. Zmily

Zmily Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Hey, you are everywhere :) i saw those videos and i'm trying to figure out which comparable magnets (but i think lighter, from other opinions in this forum and in yt comment section) should i get from the stores i've available in my country.
    You told me in your last video comment section about the magnets365.com and they have 3 magnets that i'm trying to figure out if i should get the 3x2 n35, 4x1 n50 or 4x2 n35 (which i know it's 4x1.75 n35) or a store in the uk that would be a bit more expensive but has the 4x1 n42 and 5x1 n42 that i think i would like for the 2x2 and 3x3 respectively.

DMCubing likes this.
  10. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Still haven't gotten to magnetizing sail / big sail, but had some failed attempts that I wanted to share on the thread:

Weilong GTS: I positioned the magnets wrong - rewatched DMCubing's video and learned from my mistake. Will try again.

Mojue M3: big heads up on this cube. I dove in on a 5x1 N48 project, did the edges my usual way - all the way down nestled against the post for consistent placement. So far so good.

When I went to glue the corners, I found in that position 5x1 magnets won't stay flat :(((((( the corner pieces have a curved area that lifts the magnet in the edge piece.

Realized this after doing _all_ the edges, so not a good situation.

I have two m3s, so I just tried to pair an edge and corner up - still getting some lift in the edge on this one even with full freedom to place the magnets. 5x1 may not work in this cube :(

DMCubing likes this.
  11. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Just checked with a second edge / corner - 5x1 is very hard to position correctly. You will almost certainly get a tiny bit of lift in the edge magnet. For precision placement, this is an unforgiving cube for sure.

Smaller magnets diameter wise may be the way to go.

12. Aysha

Aysha Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Bahrain
    WCA:
    2017JAMS01
    I just attempted to magnetize my Yuxin Blue and it was a success!

I wanted the feeling to be similar to the Cubicle's Wuque M with lighter magnets in the outer layers and stronger magnets in the inner layers.

So these are the magnets I used:
    • Inner Layers: 4x1.5mm N42's
    • Outer Layers: 4x2mm N35's
    (All magnets were purchased from Ali Express)

The turning is perfect: stronger on the inner layers and lighter on the outer layers just as I wanted.

There was a minor issue with the right piece (on the left side) of the inner layer, however; the 4mm magnet barely fits but once you push it down it should fit in snuggly.

13. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    I just magnetized the MFJS 50mm cube (newly released) - I went with 1/10 x 1/16 inch N42s from K&J, a nice 2x2 magnet. Did it on a stock cube and added lubicle silk afterwards. I like a lighter magnetic feel - the new GTS2 magnetic commercial or cubicle version is great, I like the lite as well. This is close to what I would prefer, not lite, but not regular either. Good match in the magnetic strength for my preferences. I'll try something a bit stronger in the next one.

Magnetizing this cube was straightforward - I put these magnets in place in the edges indexing off a post in the edge, and then matched the corners. Larger diameter magnets should be no problem, but be aware, this is a smaller cube so check your fit before doing any gluing. I'll do weaker 3x1.5 in the next one most likely.

14. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Hit this cube with a generous helping of standard lube and lubicle-1 and it feels really nice (for my preferences anyway). Still would like a little more punch with the magnets, but this is somewhere between "lite" and "regular" on the cubicle subjective scale for me with the GTS2.

15. Zmily

Zmily Member

Aug 2, 2017
    So both those stores actually ship to Portugal but it would be 10$ or 15$ just for shipping. Uk and spain stores also charge quite a bit for handling and shipping so i ended up ordering from magnets365.com because of the low prices and free shipping.

I ordered a pack of 200 3x1.5 n50 for the chuwen and a pack of 50 5x1.5 n35 for the gts2 for only 15$ with shipping. No idea what i'll be doing with the other 152 3x1.5 magnets but oh well, still cheaper than the other stores and i'm actually counting on these magnets being a bit weaker than those of gaussboys and apex. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for your videos and feedback DMCubing.

DMCubing likes this.
  16. chron0s

chron0s Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Magnetized a cyclone boys feihu 2x2 sculpted tonight - I used 1/10 x 1/16 inch N42s from K&J - its becoming my preferred magnet in 2x2s.

For my preferences this is PERFECT. The feihu is a light, snappy cube and I didn't want the magnets to add any drag when starting algorithms. These add stability but stay out of the way - they don't interfere with the speed of this 2x2.

I lubed it with some lubicle silk, that's it so far.

17. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    Just bought some magnets to do my WuQue... I decided, after a great deal of thought, to try 4x2 N35s in the outer layers. It's what I have in my DIY Valk M, which is awesome, and it's the same plastic and you need the same movement in the outer layers of 4x4, I guess?

For the inners, I went for 3x2 N52s. I was looking for 4x1.5 N35s, but the good ol' K&J calculator says the smaller N52s have only marginally more pull strength (0.07lb vs 0.06lb at 2mm magnet to magnet). I also think having 3x2s will make it easier to distinguish the magnets from each other, just in case I have a bit of a nightmare along the way!

Arriving Tuesday, watch this space!!!

DMCubing likes this.
  18. Iamdrewbrees

Iamdrewbrees Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Anyone know what magnets are best in a spring swapped yuxin red?
    (4x4s and 6x6s are complicated with strength ugh)

19. pipkiksass

pipkiksass Member

Jan 1, 2013
    YouTube:
    pipkiksass
    Just thought I'd share the outcome of my experiment at making a WuQue M, and a few tips I've worked out along the way, just in case anyone could benefit from them. If anyone wants me to do so, I can edit the guide and add images.

I used this video as a starting point:

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jT-wiYtd_Zc?vq=hd720&amp;iv_load_policy=3&amp;rel=0&amp;showinfo=0&amp;theme=light&amp;color=white&amp;autohide=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But that's about it, my method diverged quite a bit. Here's what I did:

Stage 1: Edges first:

NOTE: a 4x4 cube has 8 edges of each colour. When edges are split in half, you will end up with one "left-handed" piece, one "right handed". What I mean by this is if you were to line up a corner piece, two edge pieces, and another corner piece (as below), one edge piece will sit on the right, with the corner piece on IT'S right. I'll call this one the "right-handed" piece, for ease of reference.

upload_2017-8-16_14-27-33.png

1.1: White edge pieces

Having dismantled my cube, I paired up two white half-edge pieces, and placed a single magnet inside both. I positioned them carefully using a cocktail stick, as these would form the template for all edge pieces. A single drop of superglue on each magnet and 30 second wait later, I separated the edge pieces and gave each a tap to ensure the magnet was stuck.

I then used each white half-edge to produce an additional 2 half-edges, taking care to remember which were the stuck magnets, which were the newly-placed magnet. Note: it's REALLY annoying trying to keep track of which edge pieces require gluing. Stick with this method, it gets much easier after this step!

Repeat with your 4 half-edges, using these as the template for the remaining 4 white half-edges. This is the last time you'll have to remember which magnets require gluing.

1.2: Remaining edge pieces

From here on in things become much easier. You have four "right-handed" white half-edges, four "left-handed". Pick any colour. I chose red.

Pair up four "right-handed" white edge pieces with four "left-handed" red half-edges, and vice versa. Carefully drop a magnet into each of the 8 red half-edges in turn, then put a single drop of superglue on each magnet. 30 seconds later you've done 1/3 of your edge piece! Note how much bl**dy easier it is when you know you only have to glue e.g. red edge pieces!

Now choose another 2 colours. I chose the opposites, so yellow and orange. Pair the 16 glued edge pieces with your 16 non-glued edge pieces. Drop and glue 16 magnets. 30 seconds later you've done 2/3 of your edge pieces.

Now you just have 2 colours remaining to do. Pair your 16 remaining non-glued edge pieces with any 16 of your glued edge pieces. Drop and glue the last 16 magnets. 30 seconds later you're done. Congrats!

2: Corners

This is where the right/left-handedness of edge pieces comes in to play. You want the polarity of both magnets in the right-hand edge to be the same. The easiest way to achieve this is as follows:

2.1: Creating a template with correct polarity

Take a white left-hand edge and a white right-hand edge and place them together. Place a white 1/3 corner piece to the right of this pair of edge pieces.

Take the right-hand edge and flip it over so the non-magnetised side is touching the left-hand edge. Drop a magnet into your corner piece. This will match the polarity with your edge correctly. Hold the magnet in your corner piece in place.

Flip the right-hand edge back over and hold it together with your corner piece (the one you're currently holding the magnet in place onto). Take another magnet and carefully drop it towards the right-hand side of your edge. It should snap onto the magnet in your corner piece.

Take a cocktail stick and carefully move the magnets into their desired position. Remember this will be the template for all corners, so take care to get it right. Drop a little glue on both when you're happy. After 30 seconds, separate and give them a tap to ensure the glue has done its job. To check the polarity, flip the right-hand edge back over and make sure you can join the three pieces together, regardless of which way up the right-hand edge is.

Congrats, that's 1/24th of your corners done!

Oh no, we're back in the situation of having to remember which pieces are stuck and which aren't! Never fear, work colour-by-colour and it'll soon pass.

This is the fiddliest part of the process - take care when dropping magnets into your right-hand edge pieces, because there's already a magnet in there (on the left-hand side).

Use your white right-hand edge piece and corner piece as a template to create another white right-hand edge and corner piece. Repeat this process and you've finished your white corners. Hooray!

2.2: remaining corners

Pick another colour. I chose red (again). Use your white right-hand edge pieces to create four red corner pieces. Use your white corner pieces to create four red right-hand edge pieces.

Repeat the process with another 2 colours.

Repeat the process with your remaining 2 colours.

3: Reassembly

Take care when reassembling. While it's not possible to connect edges the wrong way round, pay attention to your colours. You need to have one "right-handed" and one "left-handed" edge of each colour pair (i.e. one white/red; one white/blue...). It's easy to mess this up. I used a 3x3 for reference.

When you have all your edges and corners reassembled, remember that a magnetic 4x4 can hold itself together like a void cube. You can build a corner, then slot the internals in, making assembly much easier.

The whole process took me a little under 2 hours.

Choice of Magnets:

For the outer layers, I used 4x2 N35s. This is what I have in my DIY Valk M, and I think it's turned out very nicely. 3x3 stage is far more fluid, and I don't feel the magnets obstruct my turning in any way.

For the inners, I went for 3x2 N52s. These help hold the inner layers together, and prevent any unintentional movement. I was concerned about how it might affect parity execution and edge pairing, but it's actually made both easier, due to pretty much perfect alignment for every turn. You don't really notice the added resistance after a while.

Thoughts:

I've already set my PB Ao5 (1:05.xx), and only done about 20 solves on this cube. As a yardstick, my current timer session has over 1,000 4x4 solves in it. Is it fast? Maybe. It's more the added stability and control that make this cube fantastic.

The magnets and glue cost me a grand total of £8.13, and my WuQue cost about £17. That's a total of £25, vs. £46 ($60 US) for a Cubicle Labs WuQue M. As above, the labour took me less than 2 hours, and it was pretty fun.

Would I recommend doing this? Hell yeah - it's great fun, takes very little time, and results in a fantastic cube, providing you take a little care.

Malkom likes this.
  20. king2j

king2j Member

Feb 24, 2017
    What about the mf3rs and what magnets should I use?