Links to specific posts changed since forum upgrade.

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by Christopher Mowla, May 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Christopher Mowla

Christopher Mowla Premium Member

Sep 17, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    YouTube:
    4EverTrying
    I noticed the url format of links to specific post numbers has changed since the upgrade. As a result, clicking on previous links that I made all go to the first post of the thread. (This is especially bad for mega threads.)

I would just like to ask if the format is going to change again in the next upgrade, or will this be permanent?

I have (and am planning on) citing specific posts on the 4x4x4 parity algorithms wiki page, in my book, and on other internet forums.

2. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    Can you give me two examples specifically? I may need to adjust the redirects so that old posts will remain correct. The goal in doing such an upgrade would be to have all old links remain functional.

3. Christopher Mowla

Sep 17, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    YouTube:
    4EverTrying
  4. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    In the first link, you're missing a "-" between the "post" and the post number. So this URL actually redirects fine (notice the "-" I added between "post" and "1090727" at the end:
    https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...-Kevin-Hays&p=1090727&viewfull=1#post-1090727

Additionally, and perhaps easier, use this URL:
    https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/posts/1090727

While there are no plans to change the permalinks in the future, and any future changes would include redirects, if you're publishing a book you may want to use a link redirect service so you can update URLs whenever you want. So you could use like bit.ly/mylink which redirects to the link above. And if the link above changes, simply change where bit.ly/mylink redirects.

Hope those options above work okay.

Christopher Mowla likes this.
  5. Christopher Mowla

Sep 17, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    YouTube:
    4EverTrying
    Thanks. I'll look into it.

pjk likes this.