[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Konsta, Apr 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    Hey.

Trying to restart my cubing again and got couple new cubes, shengshou 4x4 v3 was one of them :)

I made the normal edge and center mods to my cube, but had similar internal lock-up problems as many seem to have. Didn't find any solution for it from this site or youtube, so I decided to figure it out myself.

Modded all internal parts like in the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So it's all the "first-contact" parts between bigger and smaller internal parts that I rounded up.
    Bigger part has 8 spots modded and smaller one has 4 spots modded.

After that I basically have no lock-ups anymore with this cube.
    I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    Ok, gotta try this! if it works im telling the russki's about it.!

3. Ickathu

Ickathu Member

May 20, 2011
    Virginia
    WCA:
    2011MERT03
    YouTube:
    Ickathu
    When I just finished Florian's mod on my ss4x4 and finished assembling it...
    Typical... :fp

4. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    Cool, Russians are usually very effective in these kinds of things, you people will probably find improvements to this mod I'm sure :D

Haha, don't worry. I've taken this cube apart and assembled it so many times I lost count :)
    Test out the Florian's mod before trying this to see how much it makes difference.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    Well a lot use SS, and this can make it better

6. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    Yep, I have also modded Dayan+MF8 4x4, but it still pops sometimes, therefore I prefer using SS, even tho I like the turning more on Dayan.

7. justkidin123

justkidin123 Member

Feb 16, 2012
    While we're on the topic of the SS 4x4 tell me. does anyone think it would pop more if you sanded down the flares on the bottom of the center piece? oh. and i also did florians mod on my SS 4x4 and at first it popped a lot. but it sort of broke itself in afterwards. i had to tighten it, but it was definitely worth it in the end.

8. izovire

izovire Member

Sep 22, 2009
    WCA:
    2009VROO01
    YouTube:
    izovire
    heh... I didn't now this cube locked up internally... It just needs to eat more fibrous foods.

Thanks for sharing this mod.

9. Alex97

Alex97 Banned

Mar 25, 2012
    I did this mod already. It suck!!!

10. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    I'm sorry to hear that. Did you do exactly the same as I did? Because my cube really doesn't lock anymore after I did this..
    I first did only the first picture, but only after doing the second part of the mod I really got rid of all the internal lock ups.

11. masterofthebass

masterofthebass Premium Member

May 13, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WCA:
    2007COHE01
    YouTube:
    masterofthebass
    Just did this and lockups are gone. Now I can actually stand to use this cube.

12. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    Really glad to hear this!
    I actually hesitated to make a thread about this at first, thinking that maybe it's not that good mod or at least most good cubers already know this.

13. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    I'm working on this mod, did about 1 half of the pieces, hope to finish tomorow

14. Alex97

Alex97 Banned

Mar 25, 2012
    Don't exist mod to do SS 4x4 to not lock up. I recommend mini/dayan mf8 for speedcubing ;)

15. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    Yes, I have that one too, unfortunately the cube I got has very stiff outer layers, so it makes it almost impossible to cube with.
    I've tried to mod it as much as possible, but it seems that it's not possible to sand it down enough without destroying the cube.
    Too bad, I really like the size and the feel of that cube other than outer layers.
    Of course I could buy another one and hope to get better one, but it's pretty expensive cube to play lottery :p

I would really like to see some pictures of your SS internal part mods to see if it differs from what I did.
    Because I modded my cube in several phases (3 or 4 days and testing between modding), only doing all the spots you can see in my pictures it stopped locking up internally.

16. Cheese11

Cheese11 Member

GTFO. RIGHT NOW. But really, the Mini Dayan+MF8 4x4 is just too stiff. There is no mod that can make it better. Plus the plastic is really soft, and the pieces are to big for the cube. Mine broke from turning it.... It sucks.

17. 5BLD

5BLD Member

Apr 14, 2011
    England
    WCA:
    2011LAUA01
    YouTube:
    5BLD
    Awesome mod! I was thinking of doing it before but i was worried I'd stuff it up, but when I saw your thread I decided to give it a go.

18. Alex97

Alex97 Banned

Mar 25, 2012
    I like stiff cube!!! Isn't cubes who I can modified to be better!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  19. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    Thanks! I made the modding decision pretty soon after I got this cube and did known mods to it, because I really couldn't stand the internal lock ups.
    Also the low price encouraged me to try this out. And I wouldn't be using locking cube anyways.

At the same time I actually destroyed my MF8 megaminx by modding it too much, and the worst part is that there were actual tutorials how to mod it properly and I was just lazy to check them out :(
    Good thing is that I finally modded my mefferts minx and tiled it with MF8 tiles, so I have pretty nice megaminx now. (it was mefferts mod to mf8 what I did to destroy it, don't try that at home)

20. izovire

izovire Member

Sep 22, 2009
    WCA:
    2009VROO01
    YouTube:
    izovire
    Aha! If Dan likes it then I'm pretty sure it's a good mod... but then again everyone has their preferences in how they like their cubes to feel.