• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Kilominx Discussion Thread

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
LL file for anyone interested, adapted from Kit's definition file, likely more efficient because the 5 first layer corners on the bottom are ignored in it because they can't be affected: http://pastebin.com/HnmyhVZC

planning on trying to use ksolve to make a better random state scrambler for this (if I can figure out how to define the necessary moves), thinking of having the moves be a variation of 2 gen megaminx scrambling, but with added moves so it can solve any state (L R U F added maybe) I'll try to work on that later, but i guess for now the scrambler in this thread works well enough

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone, I wanted to tell y'all about the cool, new
MIwDcX9.gif
Method!

TransAm
is a portmanteau of the inventors of the method, Chris Tran & Sam Myung.
We came up with this method as we were on a 3 hour road trip from NYC Summer 2016 back to Brown University, where Sam goes to college.

Here's how it works!

1. Get to the last corner of S2L. (Intuitive)
2. Recognize the orientation of 3 arbitrary corners (ignore two) and insert the last corner while making 3 oriented adjacent corners (81 cases)
3. Solve EVERYTHING else, since ONLY T and U cases appear, and have the SAME recog as COLL. (12 cases + 3PLL)

Advantages:
1. 1/36 chance to SOLVE EVERYTHING AFTER CORNER INSERTION AND SKIP LL.
2. 1/3 chance for OLL skip.
3. By mirroring the insertion cases, you can greatly increase the chances for OLL skip, and LL skip.
5. Same recognition as OLL/PLL/CLL, but less moves and higher skip chance.

This method works because you can arbitrarily ignore corners, and arbitrarily orient corners for sick cases.
You get a bunch of the advantages of WV, but with WAY less cases, and you also get the advantages of KCLL without the STUPID recognition. It'll have a T case with 3x3 COLL recog 33% of the time, U case 33% of the time, and OLL skip 33% without tricks.

The trick mentioned in step 3 is pretty crazy.
Like, so if I read the orientation for three corners, but know that the fourth corner is more likely to be misoriented for an OLL skip, I can just guess the orientation (clockwise or counter clockwise), and increase my chance for the OLL skip, and LL skip. I'll explain in a video once I make the algs!

Since you can also use Cube Explorer for this step since it's analogous to 3x3 since you can ignore 2 corners safely, I'll have these algs ready in a single day. Since there are many degrees of freedom because you can orient multiple groups of 3 corners, you can just pick out the best alg that orients. Permutation doesn't matter, so algs are nicer.

Since you have to look at less pieces, and reuse CLL recog as well as look ahead into the last step during the corner insertion, it leads into a smooth transition. Since like, with OLL you have to move a lot of pieces, but with this method, you can look at a block or corner and expect a certain case to pop up.

EDIT: I just learned that I don't like Kilominx, and I don't feel like putting in the work to gen these anymore. :(

Last edited:

fabdabs1234

WCA
2014SCHW02
So i thought of this LL method which seems to be between beginners LL and full CLL.
The idea is to orient all of your pieces and also permute two of them so that you would either get the easy PLL or a PLL skip
recognition seems to be easy as it is only recognising where two stickers are in relation to each other. I've found the algs of a few sets and i feel like they're only slightly slower/ the same speed than the regular algs. There would only be 64 algs which is quite good compared to the amount you would need for full CLL.
Here are the T set algs: (the orange represents which two colours have to be the same)

R' U' F U R U' R' F' R
9Oo12ON.png

9Oo12ON.png

(U') F R U R' U' R' F' R U R U' R'
6bkcMcO.png

(U) R U R' F' L' U' L F
kBHHp6v.png

(U2) R' F' L F R F' L' F
uEyWYhr.png

Last edited:

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So i thought of this LL method which seems to be between beginners LL and full CLL.
The idea is to orient all of your pieces and also permute two of them so that you would either get the easy PLL or a PLL skip
recognition seems to be easy as it is only recognising where two stickers are in relation to each other. I've found the algs of a few sets and i feel like they're only slightly slower/ the same speed than the regular algs. There would only be 64 algs which is quite good compared to the amount you would need for full CLL.
Here are the T set algs: (the orange represents which two colours have to be the same)

R' U' F U R U' R' F' R
9Oo12ON.png
9Oo12ON.png

(U') F R U R' U' R' F' R U R U' R'
6bkcMcO.png

(U) F R U2 R' U' R U' R' F'
kBHHp6v.png

L F R' F' L' F R F'
uEyWYhr.png

uEyWYhr.png
Sounds like a cool idea. Would that be 1/2 Chance for PLL skip?

Tobby

WCA
2015ROSE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
kilominx last layer skip!
I've only done about 50 solves so I think that's pretty rare, has anyone else gotten one?

Generated By csTimer on 2016-9-25
single: 23.754

Time List:
1. 23.754 R++ D-- R++ D++ R-- D++ R-- D-- R++ D-- U'
R++ D++ R-- D++ R-- D-- R-- D++ R++ D-- U'
R++ D-- R++ D-- R-- D-- R-- D++ R-- D++ U
R-- D++ R-- D-- R-- D++ R-- D++ R++ D++ U
R++ D-- R++ D-- R-- D-- R++ D++ R++ D-- U'
R-- D-- R-- D-- R-- D++ R-- D-- R-- D++ U
R-- D-- R++ D-- R-- D++ R++ D++ R++ D++ U

Perkins

I recently got myself a kilominx and wanted to put together a couple of reference sheets for myself, using Skullush's algs. I kinda went overboard. Here are the PDFs I made. Feel free to use these for whatever and however - personal use, use on your own site, reusing the graphics, etc. They're designed to be printed neatly on A4.

P.S. The OLL names are largely arbitrary and made up, if not inspired by the names of 3x3 OCLL cases. If there are any standard names I later find I might change them.

EDIT: Was gonna add download links for my original SVG files, but it looks like I haven't made enough posts yet or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attachments

• KilominxOLL.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
  • KilominxPLL.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Solar

WCA
2015CERV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm gonna propose Kilo as an unofficial event at my next comp.
Can someone make a tutorial on how set up the scrambler?
I though I would be learning Python in CPU Science but no, we learn how to use a Computer & Chrome... (like they think we're 6 years old). Also, I've been trapped by walls of homework so I don't have time to self educate myself.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm gonna propose Kilo as an unofficial event at my next comp.
Can someone make a tutorial on how set up the scrambler?
I though I would be learning Python in CPU Science but no, we learn how to use a Computer & Chrome... (like they think we're 6 years old). Also, I've been trapped by walls of homework so I don't have time to self educate myself.

Download Idle from the Python website. I believe it's the button that says, "Download Python x.x.x."
Download the kilosolver.zip file.
Unzip it.
On the kilosolver.py file, right click, and an Edit with IDLE option should show up. Click that.
Go to Run --> Run Module.
In the module, following the >>>, type "print_move_sequence(solve(random_state()))" without the quotes.
Wait a few minutes; the first time takes a while, but each subsequent time should only take a couple seconds.

At least that's one way to do it. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.

Solar

WCA
2015CERV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Download Idle from the Python website. I believe it's the button that says, "Download Python x.x.x."
Download the kilosolver.zip file.
Unzip it.
On the kilosolver.py file, right click, and an Edit with IDLE option should show up. Click that.
Go to Run --> Run Module.
In the module, following the >>>, type "print_move_sequence(solve(random_state()))" without the quotes.
Wait a few minutes; the first time takes a while, but each subsequent time should only take a couple seconds.

At least that's one way to do it. Let me know if you need me to clarify anything.
At the Run Module part, I get this:
"
============ RESTART: C:\Users\Christo\Desktop\Kilo\kilosolver.py ============
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Christo\Desktop\Kilo\kilosolver.py", line 6, in <module>
from PIL import ImageDraw, Image, ImageColor, ImageFont
ImportError: No module named 'PIL'

After that, I can't insert print_move_sequence(solve(random_state()))