• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Kids in fourm

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know I'm not the one who was asked, but I certainly consider someone a kid as long as he misspells even thread titles, omits question marks, writes "u" instead of "you", "i" instead of "I", uses more than one exclamation or question mark in a row, "LOL" about his own message, etc.

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know I'm not the one who was asked, but I certainly consider someone a kid as long as he misspells even thread titles, omits question marks, writes "u" instead of "you", "i" instead of "I", uses more than one exclamation or question mark in a row, "LOL" about his own message, etc.

Don't forget the excessive use of ellipses (...).

clincher

Well every once in a while I write "u" instead of you. I'm 15 so I don't know. The other things I only use them when I'm trying to make a funny statement

Last edited:
F

FU

im 15 and i use ellipses a lot. i still regard myself as a kid though so it's okay

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, you guys almost make me feel old with my 18 years I walk this planet already! Personally I don't think that you can see the age of someone by just looking at how he is making his messages, I know some people who are definatly 'adult' but still make horrible mistakes in spelling/grammar. On the other hand I know people who are still 12 and are more mature in their spelling aswell as personality of 18 years. ;)

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel

Misspelling of thread titles and omission of proper punctuation i won't dispute with you - but I'm actually kinda surprised that you would label using "u", "i", or "..." as childish. I use them ALL the time and I am 21, and we can both hopefully agree that that's not too young. I use them simply because they save time and its much easier to type without them... plus i think its kinda hilarious to use the internet lingo, its almost as if the internet had its own language :) its not like i'm being childish... do you want to ban the smiley faces next?

I guess my point is - do the means of communicating matter, or does only the communication itself matter? We both know what "u" means, so I dont see whats so wrong about saving that extra time.

And you can interpret "..." as a smiley face saying something like 'i found it hard to continue here/this part is kinda hard to say' so... for example the dots here denoted that i was thinking a little before continuing. It then makes it easier in my opinion to transfer the written text into an image of a real conversation, which is exactly one of major purposes of a smiley faces.

I wanted to write a paragraph here because frankly it kinda scares me to see that there are people out there that will judge me based on this as being childish, when really, i'm just thinking that im enhancing the experience for both of us - easier for me to type, hopefully faster for you to read, and the message gets across.

Now, of course, I wont dispute the fact that these are used in huge excess by kids... and let it go on record that I would gladly to slap anyone who types things like
"OMG LOL DID U C TAHT KRAZY PICTURE??" all the time :) but that's a different issue

adragast

I agree with badmephisto and instead of thinking "people who use 'u', 'i' are children", I would rather say that people who blame other for that are old-fashion. Languages have always evolved. Do you use the same English as Shakespeare ? If we cannot use 'u', why could we use 'you' ? Shouldn't we use 'thou' ? So why not accepting the new evolutions ? Because they are results of new technologies ? Or just because young people are faster to adopt them ?