• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Just want to introduce myself

Raven72

Hi All,

Just joined, My name is Matt and I'm from Australia. Just recently got back into Cubing after a LONG time. The last time I even touched a Rubik's Cube was back in the 1980's when they were first released in this country (never managed to solve it back then - but could get the first two layers done).

While I'm not so much interested in Speed Solving I have been having a wonderful time studying and analyzing the 1 and 2 Algorithm methods and would like to share with you what I think is the easiest method I have come up with . (not sure if this is a known/existing method already, so apology if it is)

1 - Solve White Cross (intuitive)
2 - Solve Middle Layer Edges (Y - Move)
3 - Solve Yellow Cross - (intuitive) - finish with U R U R' U' if needed
4 - Solve All Corners ( Repeated Y - Moves)

I showed this to someone, and they were amazed that the cube could be solved without needing to memorize dozens of algorithms!

Last edited:
WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi All,

Just joined, My name is Matt and I'm from Australia. Just recently got back into Cubing after a LONG time. The last time I even touched a Rubik's Cube was back in the 1980's when they were first released in this country (never managed to solve it back then - but could get the first two layers done).

While I'm not so much interested in Speed Solving I have been having a wonderful time studying and analyzing the 1 and 2 Algorithm methods and would like to share with you what I think is the easiest method I have come up with by combining some of the Y-Move Method and the Philip Marshall Method (not sure if this is a known/existing method already, so apology if it is)

2 - Solve 3 Middle Layer Edges (Y - Move)
3 - Build Yellow Cross / Solve last Middle Layer cubie (Intuitive)
4 - Solve Yellow Cross (U' R U R') - Philip Marshall
5 - Solve All Corners ( Repeated Y - Moves)

I showed this to someone, and they were amazed that the cube could be solved without needing to memorize dozens of algorithms!
Welcome, where in Australia do you live?

Solvador Cubi

Hi Raven72,

so you're describing an edges first method? I sometimes do solves like that for fun, but the repetition to solve the corners gets a bit tedious for my tastes.

If you like simple methods, here's the 3 algorithm method I put together to teach beginners how to solve the cube.
http://solvexio.cf/app/#/DSEF_OnePage

-= Solvador Cubi

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi All,

While I'm not so much interested in Speed Solving I have been having a wonderful time studying and analyzing the 1 and 2 Algorithm methods and would like to share with you what I think is the easiest method I have come up with . (not sure if this is a known/existing method already, so apology if it is)

2 - Solve Middle Layer Edges (Y - Move)
3 - Solve Yellow Cross - (intuitive) - finish with U R U R' U' if needed
4 - Solve All Corners ( Repeated Y - Moves)

Hi @Raven72. Welcome to the forum. I guess we may be the same age. I was the same, I never managed a solve back in the 80s but picked it up again in late 2014 and now I'm hooked. There's an Older Cubers thread if you want to chat to fellow oldies.

Raven72

Hi Raven72,

so you're describing an edges first method? I sometimes do solves like that for fun, but the repetition to solve the corners gets a bit tedious for my tastes.

If you like simple methods, here's the 3 algorithm method I put together to teach beginners how to solve the cube.
http://solvexio.cf/app/#/DSEF_OnePage

-= Solvador Cubi

You can put the 3 corners in the first layer if you so choose....that would make it almost an 8355 solution using Y-Moves (FR'F'R) to solve the last 5 corners....8355Y perhaps!!!!

I look forward to studying your DSEF method

Edit:-

I Tried your DSEF - a very nice guide - Interestingly, I Learned the Reverse Anti Sune a while ago (before joining the forum) without knowing its name - I referred to it as the "Rotational D" alg, as the arrows in the diagram for the three edge cubies kind of look like the capital letter D - Also like how you call RUR'U' the "Easy Move" - A much better name than the "Sexy Move "

Last edited:

Raven72

I learned a new term today. FWIW, I think the more common modern term would be "hedgeslammer". It's the inverse of sledgehammer and the equivalent of a y rotation followed by a lefty sledgehammer.

I had not heard of Sledgehammer or Hedgeslammer until now - nice how we can all learn together

Last edited:

Solvador Cubi

I Tried your DSEF - a very nice guide - Interestingly, I Learned the Reverse Anti Sune a while ago (before joining the forum) without knowing its name - I referred to it as the "Rotational D" alg, as the arrows in the diagram for the three edge cubies kind of look like the capital letter D - Also like how you call RUR'U' the "Easy Move" - A much better name than the "Sexy Move "

Thanks for the feedback about my DSEF guide, Raven72!
If you saw any part of it that was confusing or that I could improve... please let me know, I'm open to enhancing it.

There were a few reasons I called RUR'U' the "Easy Move":
a bit more polite when I teach children :)
it makes sense anyway since it solves what is already known as the "Easy Case" for F2L

-= Solvador Cubi