• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] It's been a while

David J

Back story and information

I began cubing in February 1981. I use the original “Official” Rubik’s Cubes color scheme, now known as the Japanese color scheme.
I’ve been away from cubing for a few years, but I am picking it up again. I developed my own method, which has been hosted here for over a decade: http://www.speedcubing.com/DavidJSalvia.html
The notation there is for both the 3x3x3 and the 4x4x4. This whole page seriously needs to be updated…
My CLL and ELL algorithms are hosted by Macky on his site: http://cubefreak.net/speed/salvia/
Mostly I’ve enjoyed looking for algorithms and never seriously tried for speed. I chose CLL because it is very useful in solving the 2x2x2.
Up to this point in time everything I have done on the cube I developed on my own. This includes nearly 400 algorithms.

Personal best

3x3x3
Single solve 9.50 (about 2008)
Best average around 22 seconds (about 2010)
I’ve not timed myself on the 4by, 5by, 6by, or 7by. I haven’t tried any cubes larger than those.

Goals

I’ve been inspired by what I have seen recently and I’ve decided to begin learning from others and to train for speed. I’m starting with learning finger tricks for the 2x2x2 and the LL on the 3x3x3. I see that the technology of cubes has changed quite a bit while I was away. I just ordered my first speedcubes, a 2x2x2 and a 3x3x3.

SenorJuan

Welcome from another 80's cuber.
It's nice to see another intuitive cube-rotation notation. I devised my own, too, [ U ] , [ F ] , [ R ] , seems I wasn't alone in my choice. I hate the xyz notation, to this day I can't remember it, and have to think carefully when writing algs on here for everyone else's comprehension.

David J

Welcome from another 80's cuber.
It's nice to see another intuitive cube-rotation notation. I devised my own, too, [ U ] , [ F ] , [ R ] , seems I wasn't alone in my choice. I hate the xyz notation, to this day I can't remember it, and have to think carefully when writing algs on here for everyone else's comprehension.
I just remember Right Up Front = x y z.
I was using lower case letters for slices, but some began using lower cases for finger tricks, so the r u f slices are now M' E' S instead.