Is it worth getting a ShengShou 6x6?

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Chilli, Mar 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Chilli

Chilli Member

Nov 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    WCA:
    2012GOOD01
    Hey, I have a V Cube 6 but I am disappointed. It's too clicky and as a result I barely ever solve it. Is it worth spending the money on a ShengShou or should I just mod it?

2. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    If you can mod it right, mod it, if not, get SS

3. Chilli

Chilli Member

Nov 27, 2011
    United Kingdom
    WCA:
    2012GOOD01
    Should I try the Pi mod and if it fails buy SS?

4. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Premium Member

Dec 31, 2011
    England
    YouTube:
    ThomasJECubing
    A V-6 needs a lot of breaking in for it to be good from what I have heard. If you are willing to spend a lot of time modding, then mod it. If not, get the ShengShou.

5. James Ludlow

James Ludlow Premium Member

Don't worry about spending a lot of time modding - all I have done with mine is sand the inner wedges down, and glue the little tabs. Yeah, I still have the click, but it lessens with age.

6. MaeLSTRoM

MaeLSTRoM Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    WCA:
    2011WALL02
    YouTube:
    MLSTRMRVLTN
    That's all I've done to mine aswell, and it really works. The outer layers turn much faster, and the click isn't even noticable some times. No point buying another puzzle when you have a good one right there already ;)

7. I like my shengshou 6x6. I did a couple of mods, and replaced the springs/washers with a dayan set. If you have a perfectly good v-cube, then you don't need to get a shengshou, but the shengshou CAN be a good puzzle.

8. Muesli

Muesli Premium Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Sheffield, UK
    WCA:
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube:
    musli4brekkies
    The SS definitely needs breaking in though. Don't expect it to be good out of the box.

9. Not as much breaking in. The modding can be time consuming though. Still not as much modding as the full MMAP mod. If you can do the full MMAP mod, the v-cube will probably be better.

10. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    As compared to a shengshou with the same amount of modding?

11. No. The v-cube would require more modding and more breaking in to be better. I'm not sure if the shengshou 6x6 has as much potential as the v-cube 6 does. I'd be happy for somebody to prove me wrong though! I love my shengshou 6x6, but it does seem to lack some corner cutting, and it does still pop!

12. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    So basically you're comparing a fully modded V-cube to a non-modded ShengShou. Doesn't sound right to me.

13. No, I'm comparing a fully modded shengshou to a fully modded V-cube. The v-cube needs more modding and breaking in though. There just aren't as many known mods for the shengshou 6x6.

The amount of time required to mod a shengshou 6x6 is a few ours. The v-cube takes many hours of waiting and modding. Then both require break in time, but the shengshou doesn't need as much time.

14. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    So you're not modding the ShengShou as much as the V-cube. You need a lot more time and effort for the V-cube, and for what? A cube that might be a little bit better. It's as simple as that. I have no clue where you're coming from on this.

15. You're right. I was unclear. The V-cube 6 has more potential, as far as I see. However, it requires more modding and breaking in. The shengshou also requires modding and breaking in, but there aren't as many mods to do. Is that clearer?

16. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    I can think of just as many, if not more mods to do to the shenshou to make it better. There doesn't have to be a pi video for it to be a mod.

17. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    Fixed

Seriously though, just because you haven't heard of it done on a ShengShou doesn't mean it hasn't been done. It's just that it's so obvious (like just rounding stuff off) that there's no point in making another tutorial.

18. LarryLunchmeat

LarryLunchmeat Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    I just got my SS 6X6 five days ago. I've only solved it around 20 times and it feels awesome already. I remember my V-cube 5 took about three weeks to break in nicely so I imagine the V-cube 6 would be similar.
    I bought the SS with the intention of getting a V-cube 6X6 later, but I'm so impressed with the SS that I'm not even thinking twice about replacing it anymore.
    My personal opinion is that if you have to spend hours of time and effort to make a cube good, how good is it really? And if you were to put that same amount of time into the SS, couldn't it be as good?
    A friend of mine has a well worked in V-cube 6 and to be honest, I wasn't blown away. It felt great and everything but it's not like it was leagues better than the SS. I could only see myself putting that much time and effort into modding a cube if there were no alternatives out there, but I think that with price vs. quality, the SS is the better buy.

19. LeighzerCuber

LeighzerCuber Member

Mar 30, 2011
    MN, USA
    YouTube:
    LeighzerCuber
    It depends on how willing you are. If you feel like spending multiple hours modding a v-6 to perfection do it. If you are like me, get an ss. The reason why I don't want to mod my v-6 is that I would want to do a perfect job, and with the way my ss 5x5 ended up, I decided it would be best not to mod it. The ss 6 is pretty good anyway.