• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interview with Patrick Kelly

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
October 16, 2009 : Interview with Speedsolving.com founder Patrick Kelly (pjk) : Currently (at the time of this interview) has a 15.60 second official average on the 3x3x3 and a 1:05.05 official average on the 4x4x4.

Currently studying in Leeds, England, but I normally live in Denver, Colorado, USA.

interview-pjk.jpg

Student, studying Electrical Engineering.

What is your favorite event, why?
Either 3x3 or 4x4. 3x3 since that is what sparked my interest in solving puzzles. 4x4 just because of the additional complexity it adds from a traditional 3x3. 3x3 has definitely been the puzzle I have put the most time into, but I want to eventually go sub-50 average on the 4x4. I also want to become much faster on other methods of solving these puzzles (sub-13 on 3x3 with Roux and Fridrich).

What made you become interested in solving puzzles?
My brother brought home a video of one of his friend solving a 3x3 in 70 seconds or so. Shortly after, I bought my own and started playing with it. My initial goal was to get down to 60 seconds. But once I got there (after little practice), I decided to get faster, and never looked back since. It fascinated me the first time I touched it, and it still fascinated me today. And with all the variations coming out, I don't see anyway I will lose interest in the near future.

What, in your opinion, is your biggest "cubing" accomplishment?
My biggest accomplishment was probably getting a sub-14 second average on the 3x3 just recently, or perhaps getting a 57 second official solve on the 4x4 back in early 2008. I still have a lot of big cubing goals ahead, so I plan to accomplish a lot more in the future (particularly after I finish my current studies).

What are your other hobbies?
Web design, sports card collecting, playing pretty much all sports (particularly ice hockey), internet marketing, and spending time in the wilderness.

What is/are your pet peeve(s)?
People who don't think.

What will the future of cubing be like and how would you like cubing to progress?
Competitions will become larger and larger, and events will become much, much more competitive. National and World championships will be invite only. I would like cubing to remain a friendly and social sport, and not turn into an "all-competition" sport where people only show to compete and win.

Last edited: