• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interview with Frank Morris

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
February 15, 2009 : Interview with Speedsolving.com member Frank Morris : Currently (at the time of this interview) is ranked 14th in the world for 5x5x5 average (1:36.96). He is the former world record holder for 4x4x4 single (2005), and 5x5x5 average and single (2005/2006).

interview-frank.jpg

I am a Food and Beverage Manager within the Red Lion Hotels Corporation. I am responsible for all Bar, Restaurant, and Catering operations at my Hotel.

What is your favorite event, why?
The 5x5 is probably my favorite overall since I can still get pretty good times without having to kill myself with practice.

What made you become interested in solving puzzles?
For as long as I can remember, I was always interested in doing brain teasers of any sort. I liked crossword puzzles and metal disentanglement puzzles, but I had no idea that there were so many different types of sequential movement puzzles out there. I really only knew of the Rubik’s Cube. I had always wanted to solve that cube when I was a kid, but I never owned one. In 2002, I finally got my hands on one to play with, and the addiction took over from there.

What, in your opinion, is your biggest "cubing" accomplishment?
I suppose it should be winning the 5x5 event at WC2005, but I would probably say I am most proud of having a part in getting more people interested in solving the 4x4 and 5x5.

What are your other hobbies?
Any sort of gaming, and drawing. Also, an occasional flip never hurt anyone.

What is/are your pet peeve(s)?
In general, I hate when I smell cigarette smoke or body odor. If you are asking about cubing related pet peeves, if you ask to test any of my cubes, please just do that. Don’t rape it.

What will the future of cubing be like and how would you like cubing to progress?
I think that cubing will only continue to get bigger and bigger, to the point that qualifications and time limits will be completely necessary. I am tired of the less popular events not getting the equal opportunities in competitions. I don’t see how it is fair to impose a strict time limit on events like the 4x4 and 5x5, when similar times are not imposed on the 3x3. We are getting to the point that just because you can solve a puzzle, doesn’t necessarily grant you the opportunity to compete in the event for that given puzzle.

Last edited: