• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interview with Andrew Kang

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
YouTube
pjkcards
Thread starter #1
May 23, 2010 : Interview with Speedsolving.com member Andrew Kang : Currently (at the time of this interview) is ranked 47th in the world for 3x3x3 Average (11.89 Seconds). He has held 4 continental records (3x3x3 & 4x4x4 Average), placed 2nd at the 2007 World Championship, and is the 2008 US Nationals Champion (3x3x3).

Student

What is your favorite event, why?
3x3 because it's the only event I'm good at.

What made you become interested in solving puzzles?
My friend Daniel demonstrated a 75 second solve in orchestra class back in 2005 and told everyone that he was creating a cube club at school that year. I was intensely fascinated with the cube and learned how to do my first solve in October of 2005.

What, in your opinion, is your biggest "cubing" accomplishment?
There is a lot of things that I am proud of, but the biggest thing that I am proud of is placing 2nd in the 2007 World Championship in Budapest. Meeting Erno Rubik and having him autograph a shirt for me in front of the media is something I'll never forget. A close second is becoming US Champion in 2008.

What are your other hobbies?
Currently, Starcraft 2 and Osu! take up my time when I'm not cubing. I'm also a fan of going to the gym.

What is/are your pet peeve(s)?
My biggest pet peeve is when cubers attack/troll other cubers on forums and instill a unwelcoming atmosphere into the cubing community.

What will the future of cubing be like and how would you like cubing to progress?
For speed, I believe a consistent sub 9 average is the human limit in the 3x3 event. I hope that as the community will still be welcoming to newcomers so that everyone can enjoy what the Rubik's Cube has to offer.

Last edited: