• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Intermediate solver needs help learning advanced F2L

Thread starter #1
Hey, I average 30-40 seconds on 3x3 and my F2L is really slow, I've tried to learn advanced F2L but I can't wrap my head around it. Can someone help me?

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
YouTube
pjkcards
What do you mean by advanced F2L? Learning the more correct moves on the F2L so you're efficient is important. Have a look at this page:
http://algdb.net/puzzle/333/f2l

I'd recommend doing slow solves and instead of just solving how you normally solve, look at the cases there and see perhaps better ways to solve different pairs. You can get down sub-15 with just basic F2L pairing, you should work on move efficiency rather than speed. If you want us to help you further, post a video of an average and we can recommend more stuff.

Happy cubing!

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey, I average 30-40 seconds on 3x3 and my F2L is really slow, I've tried to learn advanced F2L but I can't wrap my head around it. Can someone help me?
On top of what @pjk said, (which is great by the way) I would also recommend that you watch all the F2L videos by Jperm, who does a great job going through everything that you need to know about F2L. After, that do as @pjk recommended, which is to practice slow solves, and see how all the pieces move (or those that you are trying to pair up) and with that you should be able to start dropping your times at a decent rate.

Thread starter #4
Thank you guys so much, After I'm done watching all of Jperm's advanced f2l videos I will make sure to practice slow solves and I will record an average of 5. I will also look at some better algs. Thanks!

WCA
2018TYLE03
YouTube
GreenTGoats
Try to limit rotations to one rotation per pair. If you do more than 1 for a specific case, learn an alg for it.
Work on muscle memorizing all cases. Then look ahead to the next pair while solving the current one.
Do a lot of untimed solves.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
YouTube
pjkcards