Improving the search engine

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by Robert-Y, Oct 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    We (the moderators) would like to improve on the search engine so we are asking that you provide us with examples of failed search cases in this format in order to help us:

1. What are you trying to find exactly
    2. How did you approach this search (What keywords are you trying/What search criteria are you using)

Thanks!

2. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    So there are no problems?

One thing that comes to mind is that common abbreviations cannot be used e.g. K4, OLL, WR, but we are already aware of that...

3. TimMc

TimMc Premium Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    WCA:
    2009MCMA01
    To be honest, I use query terms like "blah site:speedsolving.com" in Google's search engine.

Forum search engines used to suck about five years ago so I don't bother with them. Then again, if it's a private forum and Google can't index anything then I'll use it...

Tim.

4. Bryan Chia

Bryan Chia Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    YouTube:
    BryanChiaGH
    It would be great to have a search engine on every thread, otherwise if you are trying to find a specific word form a particular thread, you have to search all thread on the forum and the loading takes so damn long (sometimes i dont even bother to wait)

5. MaeLSTRoM

MaeLSTRoM Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    WCA:
    2011WALL02
    YouTube:
    MLSTRMRVLTN
    You mean like the search thread button at the top of the page.....

6. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    Honestly, the search-for-text part is pretty much completely useless for most things. I only use the search for stuff like finding posts/threads by a specific person, and that's pretty rare, so I certainly couldn't give an example of how it's failed me within recent memory. Is there any way to integrate Google search into this site?

7. Bryan Chia

Bryan Chia Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Queensland, Australia
    YouTube:
    BryanChiaGH
    oh damn.. didn't see that at all, my bad .. thought those are just like normal texts @@

8. kinch2002

kinch2002 Premium Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Guildford! UK!
    WCA:
    2009SHEP01
    YouTube:
    kinch2002
    I search for 2 things:

1. I use the 'Google powered' search bar to search for Thread titles. These usually come up with lots of useless duplicate results. E.g. First result could be "UK Cubers - Page 21" and then it's "UK Cubers - Page 37" then "UK Cubers - Page 5". It seems so random with the pages as well, but I guess that's because it's searching inside the threads.

2. Posts by a certain person in a thread, because I'm trying to find a specific post. This works ok I guess, with the auto-infilling of usernames.

I don't use anything else ever.

9. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Isn't that the default? For me, the search box even says "Google Custom Search".

10. Artic

Artic Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Is there an efficient way to search within a users posts? For example, I remembered having asked a question several months ago. So I clicked on my name and then on "Find latest posts" But there was no way for me to search through my own posts to find the one I was looking for. I had to manually cycle and read every single one of my posts until I found the entry I was looking for :p

Did I miss something? If not, that type of functionality would be great.

11. TDM

TDM Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2013
    Oxfordshire, UK
    WCA:
    2013MEND03
    YouTube:
    TDM028
    You can click 'Advanced Search' below the search bar and look for a user name.

12. Sa967St

Sa967St Moderator Staff Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Waterloo, ON, Canada
    WCA:
    2007STRO01
    YouTube:
    Sa967St
    As Daniel mentioned, it sometimes says the page number of a thead in the result, and the result links to that page in the thread. The page number is correct only if you have your settings at "10 posts per page", which is changeable in your settings (I set mine to "40 posts per page" years ago). It would be nice if the result linked to the specific post rather than the page.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  13. mark49152

mark49152 Premium Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    Desktop site search has always worked OK for me, but the mobile and Tapatalk searches are useless because the results link to thread not post. Pretty useless if what you're looking for is in the OAQT.

14. Parity Case

Parity Case Member

Apr 9, 2013
    BC, Canada
    I tried searching for [FreeFOP] and ended up with almost all of the 10 pages of hits directing at people's signatures, where they just say they do FreeFOP (main return was 'Trying FreeFOP for a while").

Search would be more efficient/useable if it didn't include signatures by default. -Perhaps there could be a check box in a person wants to include signatures in their search.

15. this. I hate getting sigs as search results

16. Jlvs2run

Jlvs2run Member

Sep 6, 2015
    California
    This is hard to find, buried inside search, and appears to not be working.
    I clicked search > typed niklas in the search box > checked search this thread only;
    The same 272 results show up whether searching the thread, the forum, or the entire site.
    Am I doing something wrong, or is there some other way to search through an individual thread?

17. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Once you search, you need to click on the Site Results tab:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao3fant6nu68q5e/Screenshot 2016-08-01 21.37.41.png?dl=0

Does that solve your issue?

18. Jlvs2run

Jlvs2run Member

Sep 6, 2015
    California
    Yes, that works. Thank you.

19. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    Bumping this. A couple quick questions for the community in general:
    1) How often do you use the search?
    2) Does it return useful results for you?

Looking to make some improvements.

20. 2 year bump lol

I use search whenever I have questions which can vary to multiple times a day or just once or twice a week. It usually returns useful results :)