I'm writing a group theory essay

Discussion in 'Puzzle Theory' started by Jude, Dec 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Jude

Jude Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Sheffield, England
    WCA:
    2008WRIG02
    At my uni there's a compulsory essay that all 2nd year maths students have to do, on whatever we like. The only requirements is that the maths is advanced enough that it would take a 2nd year a few times reading through before they fully get it.

So, my choice of topic is group theory and it's applications in puzzles - e.g. rubik's cube. My question is, can anyone recommend any particularly interesting theorems/papers/books etc I could research? I need some sort of goal to work towards, some sort of objective. For example, I could work towards proving the maximum minimum amount of moves needed to solve the rubik's cube but I spoke to my tutor and he said that proof was probably a bit too advanced for this essay. Are there any other significant results in the mathematics behind cubing (or not neccessarily cubing but a puzzle of some sort) that I could try and prove?

EDIT: Finished essay can be downloaded here: http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/97472928/file.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. wontolla

wontolla Member

Oct 21, 2010
    WCA:
    2011GRAJ01
    YouTube:
    wontollagdl
    Although I don't know what level of math corresponds to "2nd year math". I suggest to write about the calculation of all possible solved states of a 7x7, for example.

Regarding the maximum number of moves to solve a 3x3, I think that no one ever has proved God's number to be 20 mathematically, so your tutor is probably right. But you can still write about the runs made by Google to obtain that number.

3. Ilkyoo Choi

Ilkyoo Choi Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    WCA:
    2008CHOI04
    God's number and the Devil's number are good topics, but there is no pure math proof as of now. Describing the group theoretical structure of the "Rubik's Cube group" might be a topic that "would take a 2nd year a fe times reading through before they fully get it."

Look into the following book: "Adventures in Group Theory: Rubik's Cube, Merlin's Machine, and Other Mathematical Toys", by David Joyner.

4. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

I could try to link to them, but just search for "group theory" here to find a bunch of threads with decent discussion and references.

5. LNZ

LNZ Premium Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Adelaide, SA
    YouTube:
    Darkangel2347
    The devil's algorithm has been proved for the 1x3x3 Floppy Cube. So the idea that a devils algorithm is real. But computing this for other puzzles is much harder than doing Gods's algorithm for the same puzzle.

6. mrCage

mrCage Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Great! I get my name in the essay :)

Per

7. mrCage

mrCage Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Another great topic for a short essay. Show that the 2x2x2 cube can always be solved with turning 3 layers only. Those 3 layers should be all-adjacent, like U-F-R or D-B-L etc. Show also that non adjacent 3 layers like U-F-D won't work (in general).

Per

8. Krag

Krag Premium Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Denmark
    WCA:
    2011KRAG02
  9. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    I second Ilkyoo's suggestion, to write down the structure of the cube group.

That's obvious.

That's false.

10. ASH

ASH Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Aachen, Germany
    WCA:
    2008HACK01
    Group Theory is soooo boring.

Do a essay on proper math, like nonlinear analysis!? :)
    There is a lot of fun stuff!

(Hairy ball, ham-sandwich ...)

11. Cielo

Cielo Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Beijing, China
    WCA:
    2008LUYU01
    I've read Inside the Rubik's cube and beyond(by Christoph Bandelow) and Handbook of cubik math(by A.H.Frey & D.Singmaster). These might help.

I tried and solved, turning only L-U-R.
    At first, I only thought of the alg I used: R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2 R2. Then I realized that L' R, then F turns into U.

12. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

Anyone up for starting a wiki with references and links for (group) theory resources?

13. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    [wiki]List of Puzzle Theory References[/wiki]
    Go crazy.

14. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Jaap's articles on puzzles are very interesting. I found this one particularly interesting. In particular I like his discussion about the center of the cube group. I've used the trick he describes here on kids, and they find it very neat (plus the math supporting why it works is very interesting).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  15. Ilkyoo Choi

Ilkyoo Choi Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    WCA:
    2008CHOI04
    Oh, such a delicate topic.

16. blah

blah brah

Dec 30, 2007
    Cantucky
    WCA:
    2009LIAN03
    YouTube:
    blahcel
    nonstandard analysis ;)

17. mrCage

mrCage Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I found GT boring also at uni, mainly because there was no good real work examples to demonstrate the theory. The cube and other puzzles are great visual aids!!

Per

18. Jude

Jude Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Sheffield, England
    WCA:
    2008WRIG02
    lots of great ideas here, thanks guys! i'll let you know how it turns out :)

19. Jude

Jude Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Sheffield, England
    WCA:
    2008WRIG02
    Hm, so I have a conjecture which I'm not keen to focus on because it's not very interesting, but just out of curiosity is it true that the group of all the states reachable by peeling off the stickers and sticking back on them anywhere is isomorphic to S56/S9? I think the cardinality of that group is right and there's what appears to me to be an intuitive isomorphism but I haven't tried proving it at all.

FWIW by S56 I mean the Symmetric Group on 56 letters.