• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] I'm facing this really absurd issue with my 3 by 3

PuzzleGuy

I don't know what's up, but I keep getting the second layer wrong more than half of the time. I'm new and using beginners method, I think. After getting the top layer all white and the first layer simultaneously solved, I look for edges with no yellow in them in the bottom layer. Flip such an edge toward the opposite side of the central color that is identical to the bottom color of the edge. Then do a L or R prime. Then rotate the bottom layer to the left or right respectively, and go like that. Then, get the newly messed up white corner up. The thing is, I keep getting all the bottom edges with yellow in them after repeating the process, and still my second layer is not solved. The idea is once you get all the edges with no yellow in them removed from the bottom, the second layer should be solved. But, in my case, one or more edges are flipped the wrong way. All other colors are solved. I found another similar question, and the thread helped a bit. But I want to know exactly WHY it happens. What am I doing wrong? I've attached pictures for reference. Notice the red-green edge flipped the wrong way.IMG_20180621_220255-compressed.jpg IMG_20180622_084600.jpg

xyzzy

White face down, do this algorithm (with the swapped edge at the right) R U R' U' R U R' U2 R U R' U' R U R' and then insert the pair
?????

But, in my case, one or more edges are flipped the wrong way. All other colors are solved. I found another similar question, and the thread helped a bit. But I want to know exactly WHY it happens. What am I doing wrong? I've attached pictures for reference. Notice the red-green edge flipped the wrong way.
You simply have the edges inserted in the wrong way. Insert a yellow edge in the middle layer to bump it out, then reinsert it correctly.

PuzzleGuy

White face down, do this algorithm (with the swapped edge at the right) R U R' U' R U R' U2 R U R' U' R U R' and then insert the pair
Thanks for the algo. I found a similar one before. But I want to know WHY it happens. Am I solving using wrong steps? Once in a while the second layer is solved correctly too. Wrong edge occurs half of the time. It's a new cube, never disassembled, so should not be wrongly assembled.

xyzzy

Thanks. I just don't want to deal with it. Does solving the cube the wrong way cause the flipped edge?
Mostly yes, but this can also show up "naturally" around 1/16 of the time (per slot), so you will have to deal with it when it happens.

PuzzleGuy

Mostly yes, but this can also show up "naturally" around 1/16 of the time (per slot), so you will have to deal with it when it happens.
@xyzzy
Oh. So it is not an issue with how my cube is assembled? In case it occurs during a competition, what happens? Also, any beginner videos you recommend so this happens less frequently and not half the time?

xyzzy

@xyzzy
Oh. So it is not an issue with how my cube is assembled? In case it occurs during a competition, what happens? Also, any beginner videos you recommend so this happens less frequently and not half the time?
If you leave the edge flipped, that's considered a DNF (did not finish). You need to fix it in order to complete the solve. Here's a video tutorial for solving the second layer:

(CubeSkills also has more advanced videos available; once you're comfortable with solving with the layer-by-layer method, you can go on to intuitive F2L, etc.)

Last edited:

PuzzleGuy

If you leave the edge flipped, that's considered a DNF (did not finish). You need to fix it in order to complete the solve. Here's a video tutorial for solving the second layer:

(CubeSkills also has more advanced videos available; once you're comfortable with solving with the layer-by-layer method, you can go on to intuitive F2L, etc.)
The video was really helpful. Few tricks not taught in the popular beginner's method videos. Suppose 2 are competing, one gets a flipped edge. It means he needs a few more steps to win than the other? Just unlucky that way? Or there are rules?

xyzzy

It means he needs a few more steps to win than the other? Just unlucky that way?
Speedsolving is pretty luck-based, yeah. If you get lucky, congrats, but if you get unlucky, too bad.

In advanced methods, bad cases like this can often be avoided or done with shorter algs. With the first layer on the bottom face, here are some common algs:
R2 U2 F R2 F' U2 R' U R'
R' F R F' R' U2 R2 U R2 U R

PuzzleGuy

Speedsolving is pretty luck-based, yeah. If you get lucky, congrats, but if you get unlucky, too bad.

In advanced methods, bad cases like this can often be avoided or done with shorter algs. With the first layer on the bottom face, here are some common algs:
R2 U2 F R2 F' U2 R' U R'
R' F R F' R' U2 R2 U R2 U R
@xyzzy Okay now I get it. Thanks!