Ideas for a report on cubing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ZamHalen, Apr 14, 2012.

Welcome to the You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. I need to write an essay pertaining to math and I figured I may as well do it based on cubing or cube theory.
    So far I've been thinking:
    # of possible states
    God's Number (the basic concept with just a bit of depth)
    Scramble/solve depth

If anyone has a recommendation on the subject or any sort of source material that would be great. Please note though it is just for pre-cal so I can't do anything too crazy or else my teacher may think I cheated.
  2. Well the classic Rubik's Cube - Math topic is group theory and how it relates to the cube, but if you haven't taken abstract algebra, that may be quite confusing. If you do group theory, you could work in commutators / conjugates, and explain how you went about finding the group.
  3. retep

retep Member

Perhaps mention something about the orientation and permutation of the pieces (if possible, why there are only so many cases, like why can you not get odd number of correctly oriented edge pieces after F2L)
  4. I considered this, but like you said it's a bit advanced for just a pre-cal class.