• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ideas for 2011

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Find a way so that great important threads such as the OAQT stay at the front page for all the new members to see. PLEASEE! And maybe other similar threads like the Cube Hybrid Thread, pentrixr(sp?)'s awesome thread, Stefan Pochman's Corner Cutting Measure thread, and just those to name a few. PLEASE!

It seems like you're pretty broad about what should stay. How often does somebody need a corner cutting guide? And if you want to add guides that aren't needed often, the front page might be pretty cluttered.

EDIT: Ninja'd

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
I think the search function could use an over haul. I second the idea of searching titles first as keywords instead of having to go to "Advanced Search"

As far as making sure good threads are kept where new members can check them out maybe add a sub forum where we can keep beginner guides and other useful threads. Although the 1AQT would somehow need to fit in more than one forum category. My biggest thing is still the search function though.

Would it be possible to have the front page customizable so that I can have it show the fifteen most recent threads instead of however many it is now? Oftentimes I try to find a thread and it just got pushed off the main page.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Oh I thought it was roundabouts ten. My bad. anyway customizing the number of threads you see would be helpful. Or maybe being able to exclude threads from the front page. For example since I'm not bog on puzzle theory maybe making it so those threads don't show up at all on my home page. I'm not sure how practical it is. Just an idea.

WCA
2010LECA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, so all of those threads on the front page? There are a lot of great threads that new members should know about, probably too many for the front page as well as the recent threads section.
Those were just a few to name. A poll can be made to vote on it.
It seems like you're pretty broad about what should stay. How often does somebody need a corner cutting guide? And if you want to add guides that aren't needed often, the front page might be pretty cluttered.

EDIT: Ninja'd
The corner cutting guide isn't literally some tutorial showing HOW to cut corners but accurtely measuring the degrees since Stefan found it annoying how people kept saying "MY CUBE CUTS CORNERS AT 45 DEGREES AT TIGHT TENSIONS" in videos when it wasn't true because the cuber either locked up or was just lying.

flan

Premium Member
WCA
2010REES03
Integrated timer?

Just brainstorming.
They have a link to qqtimer at the top under 'more' but that would be a nice idea. If the suggestion is to be taken seriously then maybe even a timer that logs and saves your times to your SS account, which then displays your PB's under your name..I dunno, just an idea.

I know anyone can change the wiki but I think it needs a huge change. Right now its only good for algorithms, It needs to be organised and updated so that whenever someone comes along and wants to know what the best cube is or how to learn bld or what the best lube is, they can find it out easily from the wiki. Right now the wiki is a lot of stubs and outdated articles that are not usefull for anyone really.

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know anyone can change the wiki but I think it needs a huge change. Right now its only good for algorithms, It needs to be organised and updated so that whenever someone comes along and wants to know what the best cube is or how to learn bld or what the best lube is, they can find it out easily from the wiki. Right now the wiki is a lot of stubs and outdated articles that are not usefull for anyone really.

Tutorials and reviews doesn't really sound encyclopedic to me. If you see that an article is outdated, can't you just update it?

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Find a way so that great important threads such as the OAQT stay at the front page for all the new members to see. PLEASEE! And maybe other similar threads like the Cube Hybrid Thread, pentrixr(sp?)'s awesome thread, Stefan Pochman's Corner Cutting Measure thread, and just those to name a few. PLEASE!

Or even better still, we could split these important threads up by sub forums, then we could place them at the top of the page so that no matter what page a person is looking at in that sub-forum they will be able to see the threads... :rolleyes:

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Method sub-forums maybe?

Ooh no I wouldn't do that, you'd have too many sub forums, some with barely any content, and it would mean most people would probably never see posts about Roux or ZZ or whatever... currently having everything talked about together kinda helps people know more about different methods.

----

I'd like an easy to find link (on the top bar) to a google map where people could have their locations pinned, that would be cool to see where most cubers are... but it would need to be prominently linked to make it used enough to be useful.

kpcube

:(
Ooh no I wouldn't do that, you'd have too many sub forums, some with barely any content, and it would mean most people would probably never see posts about Roux or ZZ or whatever... currently having everything talked about together kinda helps people know more about different methods.

----

I'd like an easy to find link (on the top bar) to a google map where people could have their locations pinned, that would be cool to see where most cubers are... but it would need to be prominently linked to make it used enough to be useful.

I feel like it would do just the opposite, it would give them a home which they deserve so people wanting to find out would have easy access and not be discouraged from having to search through houndreds of pages. This, I feel, would also help to eliminate forum clutter cause everything would be in smaller bits and we wouldn't get the same questions 9,000,000,000 times because they would be easier to locate.....

Also +1 to your map idea that would be excellent.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
+1 for the before mentioned suggestion to have the standard search option work on titles only.

And perhaps a button for spoiler tags could be added.
I think it would be used more often than the HTML, PHP and CODE tags which do have their own button.

Last edited:

da25centz

WCA
2010MEYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wait, so all of those threads on the front page? There are a lot of great threads that new members should know about, probably too many for the front page as well as the recent threads section.

split up the front page so theres a section of threads that will always stay on the front page, and then there can still be a recent threads section

hatter

Maybe making the official wca competitions page split up by region would be helpful especially if anyone uses it as a way to be informed of new competitions near them.

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
a like button purely becaus alot of the time when i read threds i see a reply that i think cant be answered any better.

an OH subforum I nkow there used to be one but i thin it would be benificial to alot of OH cubers and also would probably get more people intrested in OH

I also like that flag idea toad was talking about

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
a like button purely becaus alot of the time when i read threds i see a reply that i think cant be answered any better.

an OH subforum I nkow there used to be one but i thin it would be benificial to alot of OH cubers and also would probably get more people intrested in OH

I also like that flag idea toad was talking about
What about like abuse?