How would you like to control the cube?

Discussion in 'Software Area' started by iggeman, Jan 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. iggeman

iggeman Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Hi!

I'm developing a new cube simulator and as for the time being I'm controlling it with commands such as 1,2,3 and so forth.
    I wonder if you have any suggestions of how to control and modify the cube, both how you view the cube, and how you turn the different layers. Like "R" to move right layer clock wise "E" counter clock wise etc.

I find most of the simulators where you actually have to turn the layers with the mouse cursor to be kind of frustrating and time consuming.

So, how would you like to speedcube with an artificial cube?

2. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    Why don't you make it so you can customize what keys move what?

3. iggeman

iggeman Member

Dec 30, 2010
    That is what I have done, and I can easily modify the code. So now I would like to get input from you guys of what you think would be the easiest/fastest way to modify the cube for the user.

4. BrainOfSweden

BrainOfSweden Premium Member

Is it possible that you make it controllable with an XBOX controller? Would be awesome with something like shoulder buttons to switch layer, and using the analog stick to choose what direction the layer will move. Possibly the right stick could be used for slices, and since there are four shoulder buttons, two of them could rotate the cube. Or the right stick could do that, as it might be easier to choose the layer to be sliced. But having the top layer selected and using dual stick while doing e.g. M2 U M2 U2 M2 U M2 would be neat. I find it hard to come up with a good control scheme for the keyboard, but something similar that takes advantage of all fingers :)

5. iggeman

iggeman Member

Dec 30, 2010
    You're right, it would be really awesome to control it with an xbox (or ps3) controller. But I would like for the user to be able to control it with keyboard inputs. Maybe that will be another project =)
    Yeah I've experimented with different keyboard control schemes but I haven't been able to make it feel natural, yet.

Thank you my fellow Swede for your constructive suggestions, keep em coming =)

6. BrainOfSweden

Oh, you're Swedish too? I didn't look at your name -.-' What about using a combination of WASD and the cursor keys? Cycle layers with the cursors, and using A and D to rotate the layers. While most people here knows the difference between e.g. R and R', thus also the difference between A and D keys on the right layer, I believe it would feel more intuitive to use W and S for the vertical layers, and A and D for the horizontal ones. Rotating the cube could be done with Q and E, and possibly two nearby keys if someone needs to rotate the cube vertically, most likely during the cross/F2L.

7. iggeman

iggeman Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Hehe yes I am =)

What a great suggestion! I didn't even think of that.
    Or perhaps a similar alternative like:
    D+up arrow key for R
    D+down.. R'
    A+up.. for L'
    A+down.. for L,
    W+left.. for U
    W+right.. for U'

And then maybe rotate in x and y with the arrow keys alone, or Q E A D/ W A S D + shift or something -.-

8. Yuxuibbs

Yuxuibbs Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    WCA:
    2011CHEN54
    YouTube:
    Rainpaw4
    I'm used to the layout they use for the cube simulator here.
    You can put all the moves and let the people that use it put in the key they want to use for each specific move (like RDULFBMESxyz) if you add an option button. It would let people choose their own. Also, put the clockwise and counterclockwise moves next to each other so you aren't completely guessing to see which move is which if you forget the controls.

9. BrainOfSweden

I suppose that S and the left/right arrows would rotate the D layer then? But what about F/B layers and the slices? They seem hard to implement without layer cycling. Perhaps shift could activate double layer turns, so that shift+D+up and then D+down would equal an M slice? With cube rotations on the arrow keys alone, the user would only have to move the middle fingers, and that would propably result in very fast solves. But F/B layers would still be a problem. Maybe tie them to Q/E or something :/

10. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    I don't think there's any layout that will end up better than the Ryan Heise/hi-games/qcube/jflysim one. You can try to find one, but it might not be worth it ;)

11. LeighzerCuber

LeighzerCuber Member

Mar 30, 2011
    MN, USA
    YouTube:
    LeighzerCuber
    Would it be frowned upon if you hot keyed, lets say as a fridrich user, all of the PLL's?

12. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

The Heise sim layout was revolutionary when it came out, and it's still one of the best we know. Even more important: A lot of fast cubers are now used to that layout.
    Unless you have something novel, you're better off trying to build on his work (e.g. keep his keys, don't change them, but possibly add some new ideas) rather than starting from scratch.

13. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

The Heise sim layout was revolutionary when it came out, and it's still one of the best we know. Even more important: A lot of fast cubers are now used to that layout.
    Unless you have something novel, you're better off trying to build on his work (e.g. keep his keys, don't change them, but possibly add some new ideas) rather than starting from scratch.

14. Genesis

Genesis Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Singapore
    Or you could have your web cam detects your moves on a cube(Obviously with a cube in your hand)(But that kinda defeats the purpose of playing on a visual cube)
    Or you could also have someone set it the first time they play it

15. Genesis

Genesis Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Singapore
    Or you could have your web cam detects your moves on a cube(Obviously with a cube in your hand)(But that kinda defeats the purpose of playing on a visual cube)
    Or you could also have someone set it the first time they play it