• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How/When to use the Report Buttons

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for you to ask questions you may have about reporting posts. There are some misconceptions that should be cleared, and here is the place for that.

A report button is located below every post. It is to be used when a post (or group of posts) requires a moderator's attention, or when you would like to request a moderator to do something. It is not only for bringing attention to posts that break the forum rules, it can be used for other things too.

When I report a post, what should I write in the text box?
You can write whatever you feel is necessary for us to know about the post. If you would like to request the post/thread to be edited or removed, you can write what it is you would like us to do. Please be as clear as possible, and avoid leaving it blank, especially when it isn't obvious why you reported the post.

What should I do when I see a user posting spam?
When you see someone posting spam or advertisements, report the post(s) immediately. They will be dealt with as soon as a moderator sees it. Please do not reply to these kinds of posts at all.

How do I report a thread?
Report any post in the thread, preferably the first post. Make sure you mention that you're referring to the whole thread and not just the single post.

Who looks at the reports?
Only the moderators see them.

What does reporting do?
When a user reports a post, it creates a thread in the mod forums. It allows us to discuss the report if necessary, and to soft-delete it once it has been dealt with.

What's the difference between using the report button and sending a Private Message to a moderator?
When you report a post, every moderator can see it, and it will get dealt with as soon as one of us sees it. You could just send a PM to a moderator, but you may have to wait a while if he/she is not online when you send it, and there's the possibility that his/her inbox is full. In general it's much easier to just use the report feature. No reports go unnoticed.

Can I report something anonymously?
No, your username will show up on the report. However, a user does not get notified when his/her post gets reported. Only the moderators will know you reported it.

How often can I report something?
There is no rule against how often you may report posts. Whenever you feel it is necessary to report a post, go ahead and do so. Don't be afraid to report too often. Also, don't avoid reporting something just because someone else may have already reported it.

Do I get in trouble if I misreport something?
If you are uncertain about whether a post requires attention, it is probably safe to report it anyway. However if you're reporting posts as a joke, then yes you'll likely receive an infraction or get banned.

What kinds of things can I request moderators to do with posts/threads?
We have the ability to: edit thread titles, edit polls, merge posts, remove/edit posts, move posts, merge threads, move threads, close threads, and delete threads. If you would like us to edit a thread of yours, we most likely will, but if would like us to edit someone else's thread then it'll most likely require the permission of the user who started the thread.

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suggest you rewrite the text on the report page under the message field which states:

"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

Should allow more (what you've described), and maybe link to your above post.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I suggest you rewrite the text on the report page under the message field which states:

"Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

pjk was going to change that message.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results

pjk was going to change that message.
Done. If you think it should be changed from what I set it as, let me know.