1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

how to use your inspection time

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by kevasian, Aug 11, 2018 at 5:56 PM.

1. kevasian

kevasian Member

Wednesday
    I have been watching solves on youtube and you have 15 seconds in inspection time but how do people find out straight away what to do in 6 seconds like all i see is people turning the cube around and then put the cube down and start solving straight away but how do they do it? I know they find the cross first i think but how do they find f2l pairs so quickly it takes me at least 2 minutes to find the cross and position of first pair in cfop can someon explain thanks

2. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Being able to efficiently use inspection time is something that comes with practice. If you want to specifically improve it, it's better to get more efficient at solving the cross, so that you don't need to see as many moves ahead to find a solution.

kevasian likes this.
  3. kevasian

kevasian Member

Wednesday
    ok and once i do that how do i find the first pair like i see sub ten people being able to literally see the cross, one to two pairs as well as their orientations without even using 10 seconds of their inspection time

4. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    I average 9ish and I very rarely see 2 pairs in inspection. You're probably just mistaking good lookahead for something that was completely planned during inspection. If you plan out cross+pair in inspection, then as you are doing that you can notice other pieces that could be used for the second pair.

How to go about planning more than just the cross during inspection, which I believe is your main question here, really depends on how far along you are. If you're not very experienced, it'll just be too much for your brain to calculate during <15 seconds. As you get better at cubing in general, your ability to track pieces forward (see where they'll be after the next few moves) will improve. There are techniques to practicing this specific thing, but until it becomes the biggest thing holding up your times, there are better things to practice.

One way to improve this part of your solves is to take as long as you want to inspect, and just plan out the cross. Then solve the cross without looking. Keep doing this until you get consistent. Then limit your inspection time to, say, 30 seconds. Get good at consistency there. Push the limit down until you get to normal inspection times. It's also good to watch some tutorials on efficient cross building. Solving the cross one piece at a time is not viable for speedsolving and very inefficient.

cubing247 and kevasian like this.
  5. kevasian

kevasian Member

Wednesday
    `thanks alot that helped alot