• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] How to Use Your Inspection Time?

kevasian

can someone explain how to use inspection time properly do you guys plan out the cross and first f2l pair by remembering 8 moves and see what they do to the pair or do you remember them by order of colour of edge you are doing because i find it difficult to remember 8 moves everytime

emps

can someone explain how to use inspection time properly do you guys plan out the cross and first f2l pair by remembering 8 moves and see what they do to the pair or do you remember them by order of colour of edge you are doing because i find it difficult to remember 8 moves everytime
what we do is plan first cross during inspection and at the beginning, mostly just track a corner or an edge.you only pay attention to the moves that move around the corner/edge. normally we find the easiest pair to track, usually the ones that are affected the least by the cross being built. we recognize the case, but not the exact solution. personally i plan cross, track the pieces then let muscle memory handle 1st pair while looking around for pieces. hope this helped!

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
The trick is not to try to remember the moves but rather to try and work out how you want to move each piece.

When fast solvers plan they don't plan "R U F U R..." they think "oh I'll move this piece here which brings this one over there so then I can do this piece" and go with that plan.

kevasian

what we do is plan first cross during inspection and at the beginning, mostly just track a corner or an edge.you only pay attention to the moves that move around the corner/edge. normally we find the easiest pair to track, usually the ones that are affected the least by the cross being built. we recognize the case, but not the exact solution. personally i plan cross, track the pieces then let muscle memory handle 1st pair while looking around for pieces. hope this helped!
thanks alot

The trick is not to try to remember the moves but rather to try and work out how you want to move each piece.

When fast solvers plan they don't plan "R U F U R..." they think "oh I'll move this piece here which brings this one over there so then I can do this piece" and go with that plan.
thanks alot

Last edited by a moderator:

kevasian

I have been watching solves on youtube and you have 15 seconds in inspection time but how do people find out straight away what to do in 6 seconds like all i see is people turning the cube around and then put the cube down and start solving straight away but how do they do it? I know they find the cross first i think but how do they find f2l pairs so quickly it takes me at least 2 minutes to find the cross and position of first pair in cfop can someon explain thanks

WCA
2013BARK01
I have been watching solves on youtube and you have 15 seconds in inspection time but how do people find out straight away what to do in 6 seconds like all i see is people turning the cube around and then put the cube down and start solving straight away but how do they do it? I know they find the cross first i think but how do they find f2l pairs so quickly it takes me at least 2 minutes to find the cross and position of first pair in cfop can someon explain thanks

Being able to efficiently use inspection time is something that comes with practice. If you want to specifically improve it, it's better to get more efficient at solving the cross, so that you don't need to see as many moves ahead to find a solution.

kevasian

Being able to efficiently use inspection time is something that comes with practice. If you want to specifically improve it, it's better to get more efficient at solving the cross, so that you don't need to see as many moves ahead to find a solution.
ok and once i do that how do i find the first pair like i see sub ten people being able to literally see the cross, one to two pairs as well as their orientations without even using 10 seconds of their inspection time

WCA
2013BARK01
ok and once i do that how do i find the first pair like i see sub ten people being able to literally see the cross, one to two pairs as well as their orientations without even using 10 seconds of their inspection time
I average 9ish and I very rarely see 2 pairs in inspection. You're probably just mistaking good lookahead for something that was completely planned during inspection. If you plan out cross+pair in inspection, then as you are doing that you can notice other pieces that could be used for the second pair.

How to go about planning more than just the cross during inspection, which I believe is your main question here, really depends on how far along you are. If you're not very experienced, it'll just be too much for your brain to calculate during <15 seconds. As you get better at cubing in general, your ability to track pieces forward (see where they'll be after the next few moves) will improve. There are techniques to practicing this specific thing, but until it becomes the biggest thing holding up your times, there are better things to practice.

One way to improve this part of your solves is to take as long as you want to inspect, and just plan out the cross. Then solve the cross without looking. Keep doing this until you get consistent. Then limit your inspection time to, say, 30 seconds. Get good at consistency there. Push the limit down until you get to normal inspection times. It's also good to watch some tutorials on efficient cross building. Solving the cross one piece at a time is not viable for speedsolving and very inefficient.

kevasian

I average 9ish and I very rarely see 2 pairs in inspection. You're probably just mistaking good lookahead for something that was completely planned during inspection. If you plan out cross+pair in inspection, then as you are doing that you can notice other pieces that could be used for the second pair.

How to go about planning more than just the cross during inspection, which I believe is your main question here, really depends on how far along you are. If you're not very experienced, it'll just be too much for your brain to calculate during <15 seconds. As you get better at cubing in general, your ability to track pieces forward (see where they'll be after the next few moves) will improve. There are techniques to practicing this specific thing, but until it becomes the biggest thing holding up your times, there are better things to practice.

One way to improve this part of your solves is to take as long as you want to inspect, and just plan out the cross. Then solve the cross without looking. Keep doing this until you get consistent. Then limit your inspection time to, say, 30 seconds. Get good at consistency there. Push the limit down until you get to normal inspection times. It's also good to watch some tutorials on efficient cross building. Solving the cross one piece at a time is not viable for speedsolving and very inefficient.
`thanks alot that helped alot

kevasian

Hi , I have recently been watching other people solve and I see that many people such as Feliks and Dana Yi use like 5 seconds of the 15 seconds of the inspection time and how are they able to do it so quick. Do they plan out the cross and first f2l pair or what do they do like I see them turning the cube around and I dont understand how they decide which colour to start on. I would appreciate any help thanks.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think Faz does cross and 1 pair. Maybe if he has nerves he just finds a cross and goes. I don't use CFOP myself, but I would guess you just go through every cross fast. Most of the time you will have at least one edge connected to the center, and you can go from that