How to Look Ahead in the Fridrich/ CFOP Method

Discussion in 'How-to's, Guides, etc.' started by jskyler91, Mar 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91

This is the first part of my 4 part series on how to look ahead in CFOP. I realize that this first vid, and possibly others may not be presenting original information, but no one has, to my knowledge made this inforation available in video form. Let me know if this helps you guys out.

I realize that this concept seems really simple, but very few people actually do this correctly. If you find that you do look at the pieces while you pair them up then I recommend slowing down for a while and retraining your mind to not look at them at all. Then, when you can do this at your current speed, gradually increase your speed until you can look ahead properly at you normal speed. I just tweaked my look ahead recently and it took about a week to make this transition permanent.

I find that predicting OLLs is often quicker than trying to influence then or skip them. Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  2. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    I really like your videos, make me try new things. Gonna watch part 2 now. Two things I noticed here, though:
    - You consistently confuse D and D' (you say one and do the other).
    - Shouldn't you have started with home grip and not regrip in the middle? Looks rather odd after watching your previous video.

3. applemobile

applemobile Member

Jan 8, 2012
    exeter uk
    Nice video, but your cube is unsolved in the background! I couldn't possibly leave a cube unsolved, it makes me feel nauseous.

4. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91
    lol, I actually have a slight dyslexia with direction and time based words. I mean D' when I say D and if you ask me to read a date out loud such as 1984, you will almost certainly hear 1948, don't know why. As to my regrip, I was holding the cube in a really awkward manner with the U face practically facing me so doing things regripless was actually really uncomfortable and slow. In this case regriping actually saved me time lol.

That was me getting ready for my next vid.

5. emrecay

emrecay Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    WCA:
    2012CAYE01
    YouTube:
    emrecay1993
    Haha, im the same except i feel more paranoid than nauseous

6. foolish

foolish Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thanks for the vid. Look ahead is the part I'm worst at, gotta train it a lot.

I actually do it the other way around. I leave all my cubes unsolved, so whenever I just want to solve one I don't have to scramble first :p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. BrainOfSweden

BrainOfSweden Premium Member

I saw you mentioning this in another thread earlier, nice to see that it's already up, I was waiting for it. I'm at school right now, but I'm looking forward to watch this when I get home.

8. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91
    I think the portion I was referring to was more for my second video which I just made a thread for here:http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/s...CFOP-Method-Part2-F2L-F2L&p=722479#post722479 , but I hope this helps you out as well :)

9. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Do you mean D facing you? Cause when U is facing me (and D in the back), your grip (with right thumb on D in the back) becomes *really* awkward for me.

10. BrainOfSweden

BrainOfSweden Premium Member

11. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91
    Lol, now I am confused, I am pretty sure I was holding the cube such that the U face was basically my F face for most of the video, hence my constant moving of the cube to see what I am doing and the regrips to do the more awkward things.

12. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    I'm just talking about the cross. From home grip and with regrips in brackets, you did [R'] R D [R] R2' F when you could've just done R D R2' F.

Prepend an x' to get U to F like you say, then after the [R'] your right hand is anti-home. That can't be good.

13. Ezy Ryder

Ezy Ryder Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Poland
    WCA:
    2010PROS01
    YouTube:
    Katana221985
    Nice video. But were two seperate topics really needed?

14. DYGH.Tjen

DYGH.Tjen Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Malaysia. (:
    WCA:
    2012TJEN01
    YouTube:
    dyghtjenlul
    Awesome, thanks a lot jskyler, you've given me some things to think about. It completely makes sense that we should do this, but somehow I always overlook it and have the tendency to 'check' whether I've done a pair correctly. Will practise this when doing solves from now on. Thanks :) waiting for your other lookahead vids.

15. Ickenicke

Ickenicke Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Sweden
    YouTube:
    NickeCubing
    Yes, this video is very helpful. I think this will help alot of people to improve their lookahead!

16. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91
    I thought it would be a good idea so that the discussions would be organized, but apparently the mods disagree. No big deal though.

17. conn9

conn9 Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Cheshire, England
    WCA:
    2012TALB01
    YouTube:
    9conn
    I just looked at your comment, realised I was also checking if I'd completed the pair, tried to not check and lookahead, and instantly broke my ao5 and ao12... OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To think I've never done lookahead before! I guess I can thank you for posting this comment, and jskyler for giving you the idea, though I haven't even watched the videos yet. Lol

18. jskyler91

jskyler91 Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Berkeley CA
    YouTube:
    jskyler91
    No problems dude, this is a very subtle thing, but it makes a HUGE difference in you times.

19. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    This is much more difficult for me then it should be. I even have trouble not looking at the pair I am making let alone being able find all the cross pieces and the pair pieces.

For now I guess I will just try cross with corner prediction and not looking at the pair.

20. DYGH.Tjen

DYGH.Tjen Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Malaysia. (:
    WCA:
    2012TJEN01
    YouTube:
    dyghtjenlul
    My pleasure dude :D