[Help Thread] How to Get Faster using the Fridrich / CFOP Method

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by pcwiz, Aug 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    if you learned a method "too early", that just means you have the knowledge with less skill/practice, so I'd recommend practicing

2. AMCuber

AMCuber Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Practicing the LBL method, or CFOP? I worked on LBL for something like 2 months befroe I started CFOP.

3. WaffleCuber

WaffleCuber Member

Jun 13, 2017
    What are optimal splits for Sub-20 CFOP?

4. JustAnotherGenericCuber

JustAnotherGenericCuber Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Cfop, particularly f2l efficiency and lookahead with slow untimed solves

5. AMCuber

AMCuber Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Should I learn F2L intuitivly or should I learn it with algorithms?

6. xyzzy

xyzzy Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Learning intuitive F2L can make it easier to remember and identify the cases as they appear, but either is fine, really. (You'd eventually want to learn algs for the harder cases, too.)

7. #CubingForPeace

#CubingForPeace Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Kolkata, India
    YouTube:
    Diptoneel De
    Q.How to stop looking at the current pair which I am solving during F2L??How to get every F2L case in muscle memory if I am doing intuitive F2L??:)

8. Cube4Life

Cube4Life Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Hi guys. So I'm averaging 23 seconds currently. I've learned full oll and pll. I've learned algorithms for f2l cases that are wierd/ slow.

When I learned these f2l algs (week or so ago) I hoped that it would take me to sub 20 at least. After no result, I worked on lookahead for these new f2l algs which I was still unfamiliar with. I familiarized myself, only to improve by a measly 2 seconds.

I feel...Stuck. Idk what i should do now to become sub 20. Work on cross maybe?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. Alex B71

Alex B71 Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I've never understood why people learn F2L the algorithmic way. It should be learnt, in my opinion, the way commutators are learnt... Intuitively. Because once have a full understanding of it, it becomes very powerful. Think of it this way, you can sit down and learn 800 algs off a list or you can understand the mechanics behind the algorithm and make your own and then consult other peoples algs to see what's better and then be a part of the accumulative learning process.

So finally my advice to you is break out of the boundaries you've put yourself in. Try learning a new method, like roux or ZZ, to expand your knowledge. Turn slow and think about what is happening to the cube when you apply these algorithms, it'll teach you alot of tricks regarding Keyhole, Multislotting, Edge control, pair preservation and much more.

Also, in regards to cross. Try solving it in 8-10 moves every time, any lower is always better, turn slow and track where some later needed pieces are going. Don't worry if when doing these things you become slower at first because you will surely speed up, but i will warn you progression will begin to drastically slow down for you now.

10. Cube4Life

Cube4Life Member

Jul 3, 2017
    No, I use intuitive f2l. I only learned algs for cases which gave me trouble. I wouldn't like algorithmic f2l, eithier, and don't understand why people use it either.

11. bren077s

bren077s Member

Dec 17, 2015
    I would advise you to record your solves and then analyze them. You will be able to see what takes up the most time and how often you pause.

12. greentgoatgal

greentgoatgal Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Do slow, un-timed solves just to focus on not looking at the pair you're inserting.

Muscle memory intuitive f2l just took a lot practice for me.

13. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    Eventually you'll be able to 1-look every case and know exactly what you need to do to solve it. Practice by doing untimed solves and doing each F2L pair blindfolded. If you can do that, then you can start looking ahead to other pairs.

14. Hi guys, I have been cubing for a few years now but only just go into speed cubing. I have learnt f2l, 2 look oll and I am currently learning full pll I was wondering if anybody has and tips to learning/ recognising algs and other useful things to get better. Thanks!!!!

15. greentgoatgal

greentgoatgal Member

Feb 6, 2017
    What I do is I repeat the same alg over and over until I've muscle memorized it and can recognize it quickly.

16. Thanks, I'll try it!

17. This sort of depends on what your current times are. PLL is definitely a great thing to learn, and after that you may want to focus on either F2L lookahead or learning full OLL depending on how fast your F2l already is.

18. Thanks I have sort of started to do some cross and f2l look ahead. I average around 15 seconds with f2l (I know that's bad but I'm working on it) and I'm about half way through learning pll now.

19. ypermcuber

ypermcuber Member

Saturday
    I am sub 40 with full PLL, I average 17 seconds on F2L, 4 seconds on OLL, and 5 seconds on PLL. Can anybody give me any tips on how to be sub 30?

P. S. Don't say slow down and look ahead!

P. P. S. I'm not sub 30 because my cross is horrible.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM
  20. WaffleCuber

WaffleCuber Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Well um first of all if your f2l is 17, Oll 4, and PLL 5, that adds up to 26 so obviously you calculated wrong. Secondly, your asking for tips for getting sub 30 and you literally said "I'm not sub 30 because my recognition is horrible" so umm you kinda answered your own question lol