• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Nick S

Do you think you can reconstruct that solve and send by notation? If not, email is fine too but then others won't be able to help you. :)
Here was my scramble, if that's what you mean.

D F U2 F U B2 L2 B' F2 L2 U L2 U' D2 B2 D R2 F2 B2 R'

I hope this is the right place to post this ...

So.... I have never been to a cubing comp, but will probably be going to Worlds in a year. I might go to a comp sooner, but idk.
So, in that case, I have just about a year to improve as much . I hope to make it through to at least the second round , maybe further, depending on the amount of progress I make.
About me:
I have learnt how to solve a cube around a year and a bit ago. I got my first solve without looking at algs with TheSergsB's video with a time of around 2 minutes, an in a few days had around 50-65 seconds. Then I got into collecting, which was mainly composed of buying 3 cubes an watching cubing videos :p. So, around 4-5 months ago I started desperatley wanting to keep on improving my times. My favourite events are 2x2-4x4 + a squan addiction and kinda liking 5x5.
Current Situation:
I am colour Neutral now, with times at around 20's , desperatley trying to get consistent sub 20 times. I am practicing lookahead, as I currently have none. I know full pll. A few random old and zblls ( some ridiculouy easy cases.) Over 4.5 months I have made rapid progress, I know Feliks himself was sub 20 in a similar time. I of course have no intention of being a future Feliks or comparing myself to him, but I know that a Year ( that is Also quite free with time) can be a huge Opportunity. There is just one thing ...
WHAT TO DO?
I know I should and am currently practicing lookahead. How far can that get me? What else should I work on? What would help me improve? I desperatley need help. I know that there will be huge competition at worlds, but I do want to get some decent times. Please, what should I improve on? What can I learn? What will get my times down? How far down?
P.S my cross is OK because of CN, and cross + f2l is good, with me finishing it at about 15, and have a 5 second LL, using 3LLL. My auf prediction is pretty good.
Help
~IaS.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01

So.... I have never been to a cubing comp, but will probably be going to Worlds in a year. I might go to a comp sooner, but idk.
So, in that case, I have just about a year to improve as much . I hope to make it through to at least the second round , maybe further, depending on the amount of progress I make.
About me:
I have learnt how to solve a cube around a year and a bit ago. I got my first solve without looking at algs with TheSergsB's video with a time of around 2 minutes, an in a few days had around 50-65 seconds. Then I got into collecting, which was mainly composed of buying 3 cubes an watching cubing videos :p. So, around 4-5 months ago I started desperatley wanting to keep on improving my times. My favourite events are 2x2-4x4 + a squan addiction and kinda liking 5x5.
Current Situation:
I am colour Neutral now, with times at around 20's , desperatley trying to get consistent sub 20 times. I am practicing lookahead, as I currently have none. I know full pll. A few random old and zblls ( some ridiculouy easy cases.) Over 4.5 months I have made rapid progress, I know Feliks himself was sub 20 in a similar time. I of course have no intention of being a future Feliks or comparing myself to him, but I know that a Year ( that is Also quite free with time) can be a huge Opportunity. There is just one thing ...
WHAT TO DO?
I know I should and am currently practicing lookahead. How far can that get me? What else should I work on? What would help me improve? I desperatley need help. I know that there will be huge competition at worlds, but I do want to get some decent times. Please, what should I improve on? What can I learn? What will get my times down? How far down?
P.S my cross is OK because of CN, and cross + f2l is good, with me finishing it at about 15, and have a 5 second LL, using 3LLL. My auf prediction is pretty good.
Help
~IaS.
Personally I would say your doing great. To be around 20 seconds and colour neutral is good going. Look ahead will improve your times hugely. There are a bunch of tutorials and advice on YouTube around look ahead. The common practices of slowing down, joining and inserting f2l pairs with your eye closed definitely work. Keep spamming slow solves constantly looking for the next pair.

I'm possibly only slightly ahead of you ... I'm averaging around the high 18's, low 19's on a good day. But ... I am not colour neutral. I think moving forward you have a more opportunity to improve. My look ahead is getting better and when it works I can get sub 15's quite easily. Unfortunately it is something you have to work at constantly. Look ahead has had the biggest impact in lowering my times over the last few months. I'd say really focus on improving your look ahead at this point ... and knowing full OLL will help as well and could save you a couple seconds not having to do 2L OLL

luca

try learning VHF2L and COLL
It can really help your time

(to people who have mastered cfop);)
(not me):(

techgeek1129

My f2l is pretty solid for my level of experience. I usually average 12-15 seconds on F2L by itself, although I average 28-29 seconds. My cross is semi decent, I can do it in about 4-5 seconds. The thing that is slowing down my times is last layer. Im terrible at it. I only know 2 look oll and like half of all. The problem is I'm terrible at learning algs... Does anyone have any tips on learning algs and getting executions of them faster?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
My f2l is pretty solid for my level of experience. I usually average 12-15 seconds on F2L by itself, although I average 28-29 seconds. My cross is semi decent, I can do it in about 4-5 seconds. The thing that is slowing down my times is last layer. Im terrible at it. I only know 2 look oll and like half of all. The problem is I'm terrible at learning algs... Does anyone have any tips on learning algs and getting executions of them faster?
There are 3 main ways of learning algs:
1) Drill them until they are muscle memory.
2) Break them down into triggers (short common sequences of moves such as R U R' U' or R' F R F') and learn it as a sequence of those (related to this is that many are combinations of 2 OLL algs such as the Y-perm).
3) Pair tracking. In general, many LL algs will remove 1 or 2 F2L pairs right at the start and not destroy them- by tracking the movements of these pairs, the algs can become less a sequence of moves and more pair goes here, then here, then reinsert the pair.

Of course, none of these are mutually exclusive and are often most effective when used in conjunction with each other.

For example, here is how I learned the J and Y perms:
J-perm: Take the pair out in the normal way (R U R'), F' sexy F, reinsert the pair (R2 U' R')- or just undo so you only need to learn half of the stuff.
Y-perm: F, Hide pair in FR (R U' R'), U', Put the pair back where it should be (R U R' F, Sexy, sledgehammer. (tis is actually also a combination of 2 OLLs, idk if the firstone has a common name but the second is sexysledge).

If you decide you just don't want to learn so many algs, you could always just switch to another method like Roux or ZZ.

ThirstyTurtle

This is my first post on the forums and just wanted to say "hi"!

I bought a cube at Target two weeks ago while on vacation at my in-law's house in PA where I had a lot of downtime. I had messed with a cube plenty of times in the past but never solved more than a few sides and decided I wanted to learn how to solve one. In that two weeks I've gone from not being able to solve a cube at all, to being able to solve it in 10+ minutes using shortcuts I wrote on a sticky note, to being able to consistently solve it in under 2 minutes with no help (my record is 1:36). After owning the "Rubik's" brand cube for a little over a day I found these forums and ordered a ShengShou Aurora to a) improve my time and b) be quieter! I was driving my wife's family crazy with that clunky cube from Target (good LORD it's loud and slow), so much so that I started solving on the back deck haha. Since ordering the first Aurora I've ordered two more so I have a home cube, work cube, and car cube. I've had a blast learning and improving and I'm nearing the point where I need to learn some situation specific algorithms to improve my times.

I'm currently solving white cross, three white corners, then using the keyhole method for the four middle edges, and I drop in the final white corner. Then I just know a few algorithms to finish the last layer. My points for most improvement I think are solving the white cross, and PLL.

Thanks!

PS_here's my 14-month-old daughter playing with a cube, she loves twisting (and throwing) it!
391388b76f9b06829873868d0c11c0f2.jpg

WCA
2013BARK01
lol not for children under 36 months xD

I couldn't find the exact thread I wanted to post this in, but I have a problem:
My averages are going up. I feel like my TPS is getting more sluggish, my lookahead getting worse, and my turning style getting more locky. I can still get sub-11 and sub-10 singles (not as often as I could a week ago but I still can) but my median solve is around 12.5 now. It's partly because of more slow times that I'm getting. Should I take a break? If so, for how long? What else should I do? I have a comp in 6 weeks and I'm scurred that I'll get some bad sniggles

Elite Cuber

Hello i am a 39 to 26 second solver and i use cfop im my silves i dont u se pauses or maney rotations i started cubing this Febuary (2016) plz help.

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

A good place to find algs is algdb.net
And I agree with shadowslice as far as how to learn algs
I think 2 look OLL is fine until you're trying to get sub 14 but you should definitely learn full PLL
And there is always room for improvement in F2L remember that...

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

About me:
Current Situation:
WHAT TO DO?
Help
~IaS.
First Off, You are definitely on course to get fast (like really Fast). being color neutral at 20 secs is good, and practicing Lookahead is exactly what you should be focusing on.
now here's some advice,
3x3
1. Look ahead, look ahead, look ahead. Nothing more important (with some good look ahead and a few algs for bad F2L cases, your F2L should get down to 6-8 secs within a year of practice.

2. Cross, learn X-cross And utilize as much as possible. (your cross/Xcross should only take 5-8 moves and about 1.5-2 secs on avg)

3. try to sub-2 all your PLLs, this is something you should practice now while you avg around 20.

4. when you avg around 15, learn full OLL.

5. When you avg closer to 15 you may want to look into subsets like VLS, WV, or ZBLLs

6. TPS is important but just remember to look ahead even when turning fast.

7. for all of these tips there's a tutorial watch them.

with these tips you should be able to get sub-10 singles by worlds if you keep practicing.

2x2
1. CLL learn it, sub 2 all of them it's best to sub 1.5 them

2. Watch pro tutorials on AUF prediction and face building

3. learn to one-look

you should be averaging 2.5 - 3.5 by world's if you keep at it.

4x4
1. learn 3-2-3
2. look ahead is still key

But overall just keep doing what you're doing, do around 50+ solves per day on 3x3, 2x2, and 4x4. And work on that look ahead. If I'm fast enough to be sponsored by world's I'll go, but that's not likely ):

Thanks :) I am sub 20-19 now. Drilling plls, about 1/3 I can sub 1. Keeping at it with lookahead, and feeling the impact of lookahead. Thanks for all the tips :) I got loooooooaaaads of time on my hands although stuff is a bit chaotic for me because I just moved, but I can practice like 3+ hours a day, so I'm happy. Thanks to all :)

Wannabefeliks

Hi, I've been a cuber for 4 months now I use F2L, 2 Look OLL(but I currently have memorized 24 OLL algs for the one look), and begginer's method PLL for making the headlights and one look PLL for solving the headlights. I average around 30-35 seconds on the 3x3. I have been trying to improve my lookahead and so far I haven't been able to make progress. Any tips on how to cut my time down?

I did 5 solves before this
The times are:
so My average for this would be 34.118

AirbusCube

WCA
2015SKOT01
Hi!
The first thing is that people usually learn 1 look pll before 1 look oll, and to improve your lookahead it is good to turn slowly and not make any paues. And ofcourse just pracrice
Hope that atleast helps a little bit:)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I've been a cuber for 4 months now I use F2L, 2 Look OLL(but I currently have memorized 24 OLL algs for the one look), and begginer's method PLL for making the headlights and one look PLL for solving the headlights. I average around 30-35 seconds on the 3x3. I have been trying to improve my lookahead and so far I haven't been able to make progress. Any tips on how to cut my time down?

I did 5 solves before this
The times are:
so My average for this would be 34.118
Have you tried other methods? If you haven't I would recommend looking at Roux or ZZ before deciding your next move or what you should be working on.

Wannabefeliks

Hi!
The first thing is that people usually learn 1 look pll before 1 look oll, and to improve your lookahead it is good to turn slowly and not make any paues. And ofcourse just pracrice
Hope that atleast helps a little bit:)
thanks!! i've gotten better at lookahead and learned a few PLL'S. I've shaved 4 seconds of my PB and 2 from my average