• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I'm sub-30, what's the fastest way to memorize PLLs?
It really comes down to how you like to memorize things meaning, some people memorize 2-3 algorithms over two day verses others that memorize 1 every day. I did the memorize 2-3 algs every 2 days and once I had them down I moved on to the next few algs. Memorizing one alg a day is probably the best option.

Last edited:

joshsailscga

WCA
2014MORR01
I'm sub-30, what's the fastest way to memorize PLLs?

The previous two replies are good. Also if you really want to just get them out of the way, find a big block of time and learn the whole bunch. Personal example: Around the time I was ready to learn full OLL, my family was going on vacation, so over the course of a 14 hour round-trip drive, I learned the remaining 45ish algs that I hadn't already picked up from 2-look and other places. For a while after that, recall is tricky, but I think it's better than having to pause to remember whether or not you've even learned the alg for that case yet.
If you come across a case where you have completely forgotten the alg, stop right there, look it up, drill it a couple times, and then move on.

Duncan Bannon

The previous two replies are good. Also if you really want to just get them out of the way, find a big block of time and learn the whole bunch. Personal example: Around the time I was ready to learn full OLL, my family was going on vacation, so over the course of a 14 hour round-trip drive, I learned the remaining 45ish algs that I hadn't already picked up from 2-look and other places. For a while after that, recall is tricky, but I think it's better than having to pause to remember whether or not you've even learned the alg for that case yet.
If you come across a case where you have completely forgotten the alg, stop right there, look it up, drill it a couple times, and then move on.

This only works for some people, but if it does, it can be great! Definalty this part though- "If you come across a case where you have completely forgotten the alg, stop right there, look it up, drill it a couple times, and then move on."
I would give this a try. Just once you get PLL down. Make sure to practice them a little each week. It seems when you do this, your memory long term is not that great. So I would make sure to practice them each alg 1-2 a week for a few months.

goocubing

Hi, my names Jack. I have recently got into cubing and average around 30 seconds and am striving to get sub 30. I know full CFOP and am thinking about learning VLLS winter variation. If you have any tips on this matter please leave comments down below.

xyzzy

You need to calibrate your expectations a bit. VLS won't magically make you five seconds faster. The key to improvement is always (*) working on your F2L, not doing weird stuff to influence your last layer.

(*) Unless you're world class, but you're not.

Kevin S

What Part of CFOP Should I Learn First? I am currently doing Beginner's method, and I'm going to my first competition soon, and I would like to look somewhat decent. Plus, is learning CFOP a good idea for me? I'm okay at intuitive, but I am much faster using algorithms, for it is just muscle memory, which is why I think CFOP might work; but what about Roux or ZZ? I can also do cross facing down, so I assume that helps. My average is 1:13. All ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
What Part of CFOP Should I Learn First? I am currently doing Beginner's method, and I'm going to my first competition soon, and I would like to look somewhat decent. Plus, is learning CFOP a good idea for me? I'm okay at intuitive, but I am much faster using algorithms, for it is just muscle memory, which is why I think CFOP might work; but what about Roux or ZZ? I can also do cross facing down, so I assume that helps. My average is 1:13. All ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Yeah, so if you choose CFOP, definitely learn F2L first - that is where the most speed in a solve comes from: Good F2L + mediocre last layer usually equals a good solve (depending on your last layer).

Of course, as you said, CFOP isn't the only option. Roux is really good from what I hear, and it might actually be better than CFOP. However, I can't say for sure. CFOP definitely has the most resources going for it, so that pays when you need more information. Consider this: Roux uses less moves than CFOP, but at the expense of using M and U moves (which can potentially lockup more than CFOP's primarily R and U moves). I use M and U H Perms, Z Perms, and U Perms, and I can lockup on them - it just depends on your solving. Let me know if you need more info; I'm glad to help!

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is your current LL method?

xyzzy

I'm going to my first competition soon

How soon?

Every time you learn a new method, your times will temporarily get worse before getting better again. The problem for you is that this "temporary" phase lasts more than a week for most people, so if (for example) the competition is on the next weekend, you realistically won't have time to learn much of F2L and be able to use it better than the basic layer-by-layer method. If it's in like a month, maybe you could start learning F2L and have the improvements kick in by then.

However, at your current level (averaging above a minute), I'd say that you shouldn't care too much about how you do at the competition, especially since it's also your first. Go ahead and start learning CFOP, and if that means you'll get worse times than usual in your first comp, so be it. You'll handily beat your current times at the next competition! (And of course, try out other methods as well. We can't say which method you will like the best, because we are not you.)

Kevin S

How soon?

Every time you learn a new method, your times will temporarily get worse before getting better again. The problem for you is that this "temporary" phase lasts more than a week for most people, so if (for example) the competition is on the next weekend, you realistically won't have time to learn much of F2L and be able to use it better than the basic layer-by-layer method. If it's in like a month, maybe you could start learning F2L and have the improvements kick in by then.

However, at your current level (averaging above a minute), I'd say that you shouldn't care too much about how you do at the competition, especially since it's also your first. Go ahead and start learning CFOP, and if that means you'll get worse times than usual in your first comp, so be it. You'll handily beat your current times at the next competition! (And of course, try out other methods as well. We can't say which method you will like the best, because we are not you.)
I kinda wanted to go just to say "Hey, I'm hoping to improve." I probably won't be able to 4LLL in a month, which is when the competition is by the time of writing this (technically, the competition is 4/7, so it isn't exactly a month). I just read that the suggested first step is not F2L, but I could try to do the basics of it. Plus, I know I won't do well, I'm kinda more going to see cool puzzles and to give this speedcubing thing a try. I'm also hoping to maybe learn Roux or ZZ, even though I have heard mixed opinions on them. Thanks for helping me!

MCubing4Life

Hello! I use CFOP and I average around 19-20 seconds. It would great if someone could give a few tips and tricks to get faster. I know almost full OLL and PLL. Thx. I’ll try to post some of my tricks as well.

CarterK

WCA
2015KUCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello! I use CFOP and I average around 19-20 seconds. It would great if someone could give a few tips and tricks to get faster. I know almost full OLL and PLL. Thx. I’ll try to post some of my tricks as well.
Without knowing what your solves look like, there are 2 things I can think of.

1.) find efficient F2L solutions. Most F2L cases can be solved in 2 triggers and one rotation.

2.) Improve Look-ahead. There should be NO pauses before OLL. Turn at .5 TPS if you have to and slowly build up.

Kevin S

Based on your LL and when the comp is, F2L is probably the best thing to start with and then start learning algs after the comp.
Ok! Thank you! I did follow this guide and learned the first part of 4LLL, but I will learn F2L from here because the other algs look like they could take some time.

Wannabefeliks

So, I’m a cuber who used to average high 13’s-low 14’s on 3x3 but after taking a long break(It’s approaching the 1-year mark. 1 and a half months and my break would have been for a whole year. I’ve been doing solves recently trying to get back into it. But I’ve run into a couple problems.

1) My lookahead is not the same as it used to be. I pause a lot more frequently.
2)I’ve forgotten most of my algs.(I used to have full oll and pll memorized but now I’m subsisting on muscle memory for oll. I’ve still got PLL memorized though) I’ve had several occasions where I either did an alg I used to know wrong, or just couldn’t even do the alg and ended up relying on beginner’s method to finish the solve.

As a result my average has dropped to the high 18’s. My problem is especially bad in OH. I went from sub 25 to sub 50. I’ve forgotten my OH alg’s and I can’t use 2H algs either because I’m only able to use them because of muscle memory so when I try to actually recall them I just draw blanks. So, I’m left to using beginner’s method. My speed in OH relied heavily on the algs I used/knew and now that that’s gone my speed has dramatically dropped.

Any advice on how I can recover from this as fast as possible and get back to my original times.