• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to Boron Treat Your Cubes! [DIY Tutorial]

WCA
2015WARK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there!
The Cubicle is no longer interested in selling the Boron treated cubes anymore.
well, that's sad because Boron treatment makes a very crappy cube feel amazing!

I, Casually Cubing has uploaded a tutorial on youtube on how to Boron Treat Your Puzzles. it gives extremely similar results as Chris Tran used to do it!

Check it out!

Tutorial link:

Subscribe for future uploads!

Wouldn't this be a bit dangerous to share? I heard Chris talk about some thing I think is called THF, and if it makes direct skin contact it could be dangerous. I don't specialize in chem, not even in high school yet, so don't ask me lol

xyzzy

Just wear non-vinyl gloves, and have good ventilation and eye protection.
None of which is shown in this "tutorial" video; "this is what I did and nothing happened to me" is the worst excuse for poor lab safety. Do not ever forgo basic lab safety practices.

(I know you're not the OP, but I really want to highlight this for anyone else who might stumble upon the thread.)

Uhh a small problem here

In Singapore I think borax and boric acid are controlled and you need a licence to get it. Are there any other alternatives?
Thanks

xyzzy

Uhh a small problem here

In Singapore I think borax and boric acid are controlled and you need a licence to get it. Are there any other alternatives?
Thanks
THF is the only active ingredient for this tutorial, which makes the name "boron treatment" extremely misleading. The chemical needed for hydroboration is borane, not boric acid.

(also also also I need to stress this: practise lab safety, kids. Don't be like the OP and handle the chemicals with your bare hands.)

Eeshan

Uhh a small problem here

Thanks
I don't know if you guys play carrom in Singapore but carrom powder is made up of mostly boric acid. You can use that.

What would happen if you boron treated you Angstrom GAN Air SM? (who knows what would happen but of course the lube would wash away.)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wasabi,
I may not specialize in chemistry yet, nor have some proof to "make people believe me" or "I must have a degree to be obeyed". I am planning to major in chemistry though.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRYING THIS!!! ALL CUBERS SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM DOING THIS TREATMENT!
You're pretty much putting poison into your cube.

There's a reason why Chris Tran stop making these cubes:
1. ITS TOO EXPENSIVE
2. AND ITS GODDAMN DANGEROUS

Boric Acid should not be put in to your cubes. Not only it's dangerous to touch boric acid with your eyes, skin, or in your mouth, but it's DANGEROUS TO BREATHE IT IN. Inhaling it damages your lungs and can cause side effects.

Same goes with THF.

But because this is a Boron Treated Cube, I suggest not doing this as a lubricant.
It makes a good speedcube, but it is way too dangerous; therefore, not worth risking your life over a puzzle.

I don't know about all yall, but I'm sticking with fluorine.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if you guys play carrom in Singapore but carrom powder is made up of mostly boric acid. You can use that.

Most chemicals that aren't household items are actually illegal to have in your house. So in most cases, you kinda do need to be licensed to have one. Or, you could just ask a chemistry teacher or a professor.

deruk

Wasabi,
I may not specialize in chemistry yet, nor have some proof to "make people believe me" or "I must have a degree to be obeyed". I am planning to major in chemistry though.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRYING THIS!!! ALL CUBERS SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM DOING THIS TREATMENT!
You're pretty much putting poison into your cube.

There's a reason why Chris Tran stop making these cubes:
1. ITS TOO EXPENSIVE
2. AND ITS GODDAMN DANGEROUS

Boric Acid should not be put in to your cubes. Not only it's dangerous to touch boric acid with your eyes, skin, or in your mouth, but it's DANGEROUS TO BREATHE IT IN. Inhaling it damages your lungs and can cause side effects.

Same goes with THF.

But because this is a Boron Treated Cube, I suggest not doing this as a lubricant.
It makes a good speedcube, but it is way too dangerous; therefore, not worth risking your life over a puzzle.

I don't know about all yall, but I'm sticking with fluorine.
Pretty sure Chris Tran stopped boron treating cubes because the batches were inconsistent