• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to be sub 20

zbolmb

That sounds logical, I think I should probably attempt to switch now before I get any faster.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because you can consider more options for cross? Whether there is a XCross is secondary. Being CN gives you 5 more options for cross.

At slower speeds (15-25s) the main benefit of color neutrality is the extra options for cross, but where I am (12-13s) I'm realizing that XCross/better lookahead into F2L is actually an even greater benefit.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
is F2L 20s is good for sub 30 ?

I assume you mean F2L including cross, then barely but, of course, it all depends on how fast your LL is. If you use 4LLL and extrapolating from the 20s F2L you will be probably over 30s total most of the time. If you use 2LLL and are decently fast at it but you just need to improve your lookahead during F2L then you can probably be consistently sub 30 (perhaps around 26s) with a 20s cross+F2L, yes.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
8 second F2L is good enough for sub-17 if you actually bother to learn full OLL/PLL and practise cross.

I still don't get why people say you "don't need" full OLL to get sub-20. You don't need to be sub-20 at all - you could go do something useful instead - but if you do care about getting sub-20, it makes no sense to neglect learning alg sets that will help you greatly.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
8 second F2L is good enough for sub-17 if you actually bother to learn full OLL/PLL and practise cross.

I still don't get why people say you "don't need" full OLL to get sub-20. You don't need to be sub-20 at all - you could go do something useful instead - but if you do care about getting sub-20, it makes no sense to neglect learning alg sets that will help you greatly.

+1, most OLL algs are extremely easy to learn as well. you can get sub 20 without it but I'd recommend learning at least the easy ones.

also good vid.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel

Because recognition. Some people have also mentioned that their recognition was bad and they couldn't execute it fast enough.
I had 12 sec cross + f2l when I was sub 20 with sub 8 last layer using 2 look oll and full PLL

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
You do need good algs and look ahead to be sub-20

You can be sub-20 without lookahead. Mine was terrible at 20 and I use roux which is arguably more reliant on lookahead.

Also, I average ~13 and some of my algs are still pretty awful and my execution could use some work (just ask berd)

That said, it is much easier to be sub-20 when those are good but they are not absolutely necessary. If you really wanted you could probably get sub-20 with beginners.

Rishi Rockzz

WCA
2016NAND02
YouTube
Visit Channel
thank you for your help.
1. 27.69 R' F2 D U L2 F2 U L2 U' R2 D B2 L B' D2 L2 D2 F' D' R' U
2. 34.30 F U F B2 L F' L2 B R L2 F' D2 L2 F' L2 U2 F2 D2 U
3. 22.41[BEST MARCH '16] B' L2 D2 B2 R2 F' D2 F' L2 R U' F L' B2 R2 B' U' B' R2