• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] How should you improve after beginner's method?

iShruthi

WCA
2018MANI06
You should usually wait until you're sub-1:00 to start learning CFOP. But around 1 minute you should start solving the cross and the white corners on the bottom. This reduces the double rotation after the first layer. However, I didn't learn corners this way. I usually rotated the cube after the cross to solve the corners. But when you average one minute, you do want to be able to solve the cube without flipping it at all. For hardware, it doesn't matter what cube you use, as long as you're just learning. I myself, started out with a Shengshou Ling Long, which I went through two sets of stickers for, so I just decided to get a Rubik's 2.0. A big downgrade, but I was averaging 1:00 with it. But using a Qiyi Warrior W dropped my times by 15 seconds. (I was still using beginner's method.) I spent too much time with the beginner's method, which didn't show much improvement when I started to learn F2L, but it helped a lot. I learned F2L at sub-50, but learned 4LLL along with it. For F2L, I started by using J Perm's tutorial, then learned more advanced cases on legoboyz3's tutorial. There was a giant gap between these two periods because I learned 4LLL in between, but I managed to get sub 35 with all 3 of these. The key is to practice. I practice a lot of solves per day, which helps a lot. Hope this thread helps you a lot. :D

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, just remember that there are other methods than CFOP. ZZ and Roux and more. Learn them and decide which one is the most fun (not necessarily the fastest) and give them all a decent chance.

LeeryLangers

WCA
2015LANG03
I waited until I averaged around 1:20 seconds before learning 4LLL, because I hated beginners last layer, and then ~45 with a 35 second pb before switching to F2L. In my opinion, that was a big mistake. Learning F2L increases cube understanding so much it’s not funny. I’m still pretty inefficient now and rely on lookahead alone to have a good F2L :p, so I’d say learn F2L as soon as you feel like you can handle it.

I’m not the fastest though. Plenty of others with much more valid opinions.

prakopw

I play it in beginner's method many times until my hand can remember movement pattern (solving time approx 1.30) then I learn CFOP and do it many times so it can help me to solve lower than 1 minute. My point is play until you hand can remember solution movement without see it.

Last edited: