• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

how may of you guys have android devices?

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
how many of you guys have android devices?

Hi,

I'm developing a timer for Android and I'm releasing it soon (the first version, there will be upgrades with new ideas I'm working on). Question is: how many cubers do have Android devices?

I'll most likely sell it for 1€ or $1 in the Android Market, but I'm releasing the (I guess GPLd) source code for free too, to whoever wants to see / customize / improve / play with / whatever the application.

Yeah I know there are already a couple of Android Timers for speedcubing, but in my opinion they don't seem to be made by cubers and for cubers, unlike mine.

Well, I hope you'll like it. You'll be able to download it probably next week.

Happy cubing.

EDIT: latest download: https://github.com/ciscou/stackmattimer/StackMatTimer-v0b3.apk/qr_code

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bck3-j0wS6k

Last edited:

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is exactly why I made iiTimer for iOS. Same thing goes for android, I would've spent time porting it if it was remotely easy and I had a desire to have a timer on my phone. From my experience, if your app is good, people will buy it.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I know there are already a couple of Android Timers for speedcubing, but in my opinion they don't seem to be made by cubers and for cubers, unlike mine.
Which leaves only one question: Who are you?

You have only one post, so I'm not convinced you understand the needs of cubers yet. But don't let that stop you; amaze us. :)

(Not trying to be mean; just saying that until you show us something, your promise is about as useful as that of a politician who appears out of the middle of nowhere without records and says he will create a government for the people because he is a good person and understands the needs of other good people.)

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
wooops I joined 2 years ago and I did't even introduce myself!

My real name is Francisco, but a bunch of people call me Fran so I gave a try to the ending of my name calling myself "cisco" in the cube world :D Well I've been into cubing for 5 or 6 years. I'm Spanish and I'm a computer engineer here too. This is my WCA profile: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2008PERE02

And, don't forget I said that my app will be available for free (as in freedom and as in no-price) too for those cubers who want to download, compile y install it themselves, all they'll have to do is to do is plug the usb cable of the phone and install the app using Android's SDK. The paid version one will be only for those who prefer to get it installed directly from the market.

And well, I'm maybe more into collecting and this stuff that into speedsolving now that I'm getting old :D but, as you can see I have a recent sub20 official average. Not a big thing, but this proves I'm a experienced cuber. And I know what do I expect from a timer.

I will do a quick review next weekend for those who want to check it out before downloading.

Cheers!

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK so I will rewrite the question...

How many of you have an android phone and know how to install a .apk on it? I'll launch the first (totally free) beta soon and I'll really appreciate your feedback.

maggot

i have android device.. let me know where to download the .apk. i'll review if i can ^^:

otsyke

I can test with a QVGA screen (HTC Tattoo), currently running donut. :)

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys

Thank you very much in advance, I admit I was afraid that nobody was going to be interested in my timer, I'm very happy to have your interest and your help :)

Here we go, the apk: http://github.com/downloads/ciscou/stackmattimer/StackMatTimer.apk

With the menu key you can change the puzzle type (currently 2x2x2 - 7x7x7 are supported - this will "turn off" the timer so you'll have to "turn on" again by pressing the POWER button - this is a bit awkward, I'll see if I can make it easier). You can long-tap each average/single to have a contextual menu. You can share averages and share, delete, dnf and +2 singles. You can share in Facebook only so far, but I'm working on other networks. Shown averages are: session average, last 5/12 cubes rolling average and best 5/12 cubes rolling average. Apart of that, you'll know how to use the app given you know how to use a StackMat :) (only press the big button until the red light turns on, release big button, solve the puzzle, press big button again, press reset button and start again)

Maybe I forget something, but it's like 2.30am here and I have to go to work tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to hearing from you :)

Yeah I know I'm writing kinda "unordered" and my poor English level is not helping, sorry for that, I hope you'll understand what I mean, I'm just very tired :D

I hope it won't disapoint you. Any comments (positive or negative) you'd want to make, please feel free to do so.

otsyke

First impression is very good for me, fits well on my small screen, no glitches, and it has a nice interface.

Here's a list of questions/minor problems/suggestions, not ment to displease you of course (i'm a developer too, it's in my nature to point out just that :D)

- I assume network permission is for sharing results on facebook, and sdcard permission to store results, is it correct? But why does it require the phone call (read phone identity and state) permission?

- After each solve a statistics dialog appears. Can i open it when i want or it just appears after the solve?

- It doesn't prevent the phone from sleeping, so after a certain timeout (one minute for me) the screen becomes black e locked.

- You can set a single solve as a +2 e DNF at the same time, i think DNF is assumed though.

- I would like filled circles instead of empty ones for the led indicator and a better looking button to start/stop, but i guess it's just for functionality at this stage so i don't really complain.

I'll use it more this evening, tell me if you want me to try something in particular, i already love it.
Thank you!

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
First impression is very good for me, fits well on my small screen, no glitches, and it has a nice interface.

I'm glad you had a good first impression

Here's a list of questions/minor problems/suggestions, not ment to displease you of course (i'm a developer too, it's in my nature to point out just that :D)

And I thank you once again for doing so :)

- I assume network permission is for sharing results on facebook, and sdcard permission to store results, is it correct? But why does it require the phone call (read phone identity and state) permission?

I only added the internet permission, the other two were there by default (I guess). Thanks for pointing that out, I'll disable them as I don't need them. (Maybe I'll add an "export to SD card" functionality later, but so far...)

- After each solve a statistics dialog appears. Can i open it when i want or it just appears after the solve?

You can drag the orange drawer, or tap it, it will toggle the times list open/closed.

- It doesn't prevent the phone from sleeping, so after a certain timeout (one minute for me) the screen becomes black e locked.

I didn't mention it so far, but, I DON'T have an android device :( This is the kind of problems I were "afraid" of. Other thing that doesn't work as expected is, when you change your phone orientation, everything gets restarted. I'll fix that :)

- You can set a single solve as a +2 e DNF at the same time, i think DNF is assumed though.

Yes, DNF has more priority than +2. Maybe it's better if I disable the +2 checkbox when the DNF checkbox is checked, or change checkboxes to radiobuttons, or something. We'll see

- I would like filled circles instead of empty ones for the led indicator and a better looking button to start/stop, but i guess it's just for functionality at this stage so i don't really complain.

I'll show my app to a friend that is cuber and designer in next Madrid Open (in two weekends). If he likes it, he'll most likely help me to improve the UI. I hope so! My timer nees to be more... "beautiful" :)

I'll use it more this evening, tell me if you want me to try something in particular, i already love it.

Nothing special, just do whatever you want to do with it, and enjoy it if you can, and if something doesn't work as you'd expect it to, just tell me. I'll do all the fixes / additions / changes you guys suggest me that I find interesting for the majority of users.

Thank you!

No, Thank YOU!

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This definitely reminds me of the style of iiTimer, and as a result, I like it. Some issues I'm having:

Having the power and reset button (especially power) seems very silly to me. Its extra steps that aren't necessary. It makes sense on a real stackmat because it doesn't save your times, and you can't exit out of the stackmat, but just seems redundant for a timer program.

As otsyke mentioned, having the stats drawer open up after every solve is annoying as well. That should definitely only open when the user wants.

Overall though, it seems like its on the right track.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This definitely reminds me of the style of iiTimer, and as a result, I like it. Some issues I'm having:

Having the power and reset button (especially power) seems very silly to me. Its extra steps that aren't necessary. It makes sense on a real stackmat because it doesn't save your times, and you can't exit out of the stackmat, but just seems redundant for a timer program.

As otsyke mentioned, having the stats drawer open up after every solve is annoying as well. That should definitely only open when the user wants.

Overall though, it seems like its on the right track.

otsyke

I didn't say that, I just asked if I could open that anytime. In my opinon it's not that bad having a brief summary after each solve.
On my device it's quite difficult, maybe it is not sensitive enough in that area of the screen, i can drag or click the orange drawer only in landscape mode and using my nail :p
I would try making it a little bigger :)

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi masterofthebass

First of all, I appreciate your input, as another mobile app developer and as one of the best cubers in the world.

But I don't find the buttons so silly: You don't have to use the power button unless you want to discard the current session times, and you don't have to do anything with the time list, as it will hide itself automatically when you press the "reset" button. So, normally you only have to use 2 buttons: the big one to start/stop the timer, and the reset one, to start a new solve. I could go and copy iiTimer look and feel, but I feel like doing my own, and I find this pretty intuitive. Sorry to hear it's not what you prefer (I will be anyway happy to change it if I receive enough feedback as yours).

Peace, and thanks again to everyone :)

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The main issue I had with the power button was that when I switch puzzles, I am forced to hit the power button after I already agreed to reset my session. Thats just redundant. I did eventually realize hitting reset closes the window, but I really can't stand it opening every time. Maybe others will agree with me.

On another note, after playing with it some more, I would suggest formatting numbers to a more pleasing format. If I'm doing 2x2, there's no way I should have to stare at a million times with 00:0x.xx over and over. It would be much nicer if you formatted it based on the time itself, so that you don't have extraneous digits.

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, you're right, it's annoying having to "turn on" manually the stackmat after changing the cube type, in fact I already said I was going to change that in the very near future :)

Regarding the times list, I guess I can turn off the "auto-open" feature when the user hides it once manually, and turn it on again when the user opens it, so it is less intrusive. By default it'd be on, because I think it's cool :)

The extra "00:" is ugly for me too, so I'll change that.

Thanks guys ;)

cisco

WCA
2008PERE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, a few changes:

It is no longer mandatory to re-power on the timer after changing puzzle type

Extra "00:" is removed for times under 1 minute.

If you close manually the time list, it doesn't re-opens automatically. You can open it manually and let it be closed automatically to re-enable the auto-open functionality.

More changes to come!

Thanks

Here is the second beta: http://github.com/downloads/ciscou/stackmattimer/StackMatTimer-v0b2.apk

EDIT: otsyke, how did you notice the sd and phone permissions? I only have set the internet permission in the manifest :\

Last edited: