• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long did it take for you to get sub 20 seconds?

Dadd

WCA
2015SEIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I started my deep fascination of the cube in late may/early june, and at about that time learned how to solve it. I started getting sub-20 avgs about a month and a half after my first comp on Aug. 8 in Atlanta, so around 3 1/2 months. It took about 2 1/2 more months to get to sub 15.

KenBrace

I think it took me about 2 or 3 months of practicing and learning every day. I hit the sub-20 mark about the same time I finished learning all my OLLs and PLLs.

i suggest you use the search function for these type of queries cause they have been asked a lot times (me included)...

Why is everyone on this forum so strict about new threads?

So what if someone's already asked about sub-20 tips? There's nothing wrong with asking it again. The forum has new members join every day so it's not like you'll ever have an exactly identical thread. Unless some ancient thread gets bumped then newer members will never get to participate in that topic.

Also, you get more results when starting a new thread. Bumping someone else's thread isn't the same as starting your own thread with your own questions and perspective.

Nithin steven

WCA
2015STEV05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It took 3-4 months for me to get down to sub 40 , but after i brought a standerd cube ( aolong v1 ) it cut my time to 30 , after an intervel of time ( cause of study) i again sitted in with cube, it took me less than 2 months to get down to sub 20 , i worked a lot cause it was my vaccation i think. On saying exactly , i took ~ 9 months to get sub 20 ☺

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
For me it was around 4 to 4 and a 1/2 months. And don't worry if you don't improve as fast after being sub-25, it becomes difficult to improve after sub-25 IMO.

KenBrace

For me it was around 4 to 4 and a 1/2 months. And don't worry if you don't improve as fast after being sub-25, it becomes difficult to improve after sub-25 IMO.

In my experience there have been three speed blocks. All you have to do is learn basic recognition and use a decent method.

Getting to sub-25 was easy. It was mostly just learning algorithms and figuring out how to solve the different pairs efficiently. I stayed around the sub-25 range for about 2 months.

After that I suddenly hit another spurt and knocked my times down to the sub-18 range. At this point I temporarily quit cubing due to complications that arose in my life.

After about a year of absence I've finally started back. It felt so horrible because I was used to getting 15s and 16s on average and now it was more like 18s, 19s, and 20s. It took a few weeks of casual practice to get back to my old sub-18 average.

That's why I hit another short roadblock. I managed to work it down to sub-17 but that was about it. I just couldn't find a way to improve. I stayed like that for about two months.

Then I suddenly hit another spurt and within two days I went from a 16 second average to around 13 seconds. A 12 second solve used to be extremely rare but it was now happening frequently. 10 second solves were almost non-existent but I was now managing them several times in an hour session. I've also managed several sub-10s. It feels super amazing! I'm so used to being slower that I still haven't gotten used to my new speed. I feel like I suddenly gained super powers or something! :D Then of course I go watch a Feliks solve and feel slow again. :p

I have no idea what'll happen next. It might just be a slow grind from here on out but I suspect not. I still haven't mastered the ability to solve the cross and first pair in one sequence. I also have to solve the cross slowly if I want to preserve a pair or use keyhole. I suspect that with enough practice and study my understanding of cross+first pair solutions will suddenly click and I'll chop a second or two off my average.

For any of you sub-10 solvers, how was it for you?

I don't get how people are sub-20 after like 6 months, it took me 2 years

How long did it take you to learn full OLL and PLL?

SnappyShark

YouTube
Visit Channel
Took 8 months at 45 minutes a day, but in summer like 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Current fastest 13.42, slowes 19.83, avg of 50 - 15.86

Cube - Yj Sulong with a medium viscocity Pcubed puzzles lube, mafe of distilled silicone

Muscle memorized the algs as my muscle memory is bad, sometimes i muscle forget them too

Learnt full PLL in 15 days when i was averaging around 21 seconds, Learnt the PLLs properly,
fastest - 1.2 seconds - T,Ua,Ub,Aa,Ab, slowest- 2.3 seconds - V and Na, rest are around 1.5

Learning full OLL, know about 24 including the 2-look OLL.

Learnt a few easy ZBLL and COLL

Methods are CFOP, ZZ and CFOP+ZZ(Hybrid), i use them depending on the first layers edge and
corner orientation

Visit this thread and answer the question please
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?56802-Length-of-your-Cube-s-hardware

ZZTrooper

WCA
2015HOKE01
I'm finally sub 20 after 8 months, because at around the 28 second area I switched to ZZ. I know about 15 COLLS, not much but enough to avoid all diagonal swaps. Aside from that I just use OCLL/PLL for last layer.

WCA
2013BARK01
I'm finally sub 20 after 8 months, because at around the 28 second area I switched to ZZ. I know about 15 COLLS, not much but enough to avoid all diagonal swaps. Aside from that I just use OCLL/PLL for last layer.

protip: you don't have to use a diag swap coll to avoid a diag swap if you have a case that would normally result in one, you can also use an adjacent swap, which wouldn't solve CP but it would result in an adj swap instead of a diag swap. Hopefully you can picture what I'm talking about.

KukuhTrisna

YouTube
Visit Channel

Rather than doin' ZZ, I guess you have to start working hard your F2L phase. I'm only Full Fridrich and got high 11-low 13s avg. F2L solved in 6-8, LL in 4-6. Pretty slow LL, but practicing lookahead, recognizing the first pair after cross and the "flowing" F2L are some workouts that really helped me to improve from sub 15 to sub 13 in about a months. Took me about a week to realize it, then I just got PB's (single, ao5 11.95 to 10.83, ao12 12.5x to 11.46, ao100 low13 to sub12.50), in just 1 week from roughly sub 14!

D

Daniel Lin

After I learned how to solve the Rubik's Cube, I lost interest and didn't cube for more than 2 years. Then I started cubing again and was averaging ~40 seconds. Then I learned full OLL and after a month or two I was sub 20