• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How do you Identify a Fake Rubik's Cube?

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I assume they're crap so it'll be hard to tell the difference.

Or is it crap and that's why you think it's a fake? If so it's probably genuine.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I doubt it 'turns like fake'.
Rubik's brand cubes straight out of the box notoriously turn extremely badly.
Some slightly less bad, others you can pull a muscle making a turn.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm afraid you've just learned the hard way that Rubik's brand cubes are (probably) the worst on the market. Just about every Chinese cube is significantly better made/designed than Rubik's. One thing to do is take it appart... The Rubik's ones I've seen lately have been coated in a white powder on the inside which just kills it... clean that out and see about using a silicone lubricant and it will be 10x better.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
An official (non-fake) rubik's brand cube will have a rubik's logo on one of the center stickers. Rubik's brand cubes aren't that bad; the problem is that they are not adjustable, so it's basically up to luck whether yours is loose enough to turn quickly.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Rubik's brand cubes aren't that bad; the problem is that they are not adjustable, so it's basically up to luck whether yours is loose enough to turn quickly.

This is true. I still use a rubik's. After spending a lot of time with it, it seems to turn almost as well as some of the earlier DIY cubes. It was still kind of bad until a couple of weeks ago.

Rubik's cubes aren't the worst on the market. Somebody in my physics class had a cube from china (maybe diansheng?), and it turned like crap. It was smooth, but it didn't cut corners at all. Mine was smoother, faster, and it cut corners better.

Erzz

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is true. I still use a rubik's. After spending a lot of time with it, it seems to turn almost as well as some of the earlier DIY cubes. It was still kind of bad until a couple of weeks ago.

Rubik's cubes aren't the worst on the market. Somebody in my physics class had a cube from china (maybe diansheng?), and it turned like crap. It was smooth, but it didn't cut corners at all. Mine was smoother, faster, and it cut corners better.

"As well as some of the earlier DIY cubes" Alpha-1 is my main still, and I own a guhong, Alpha-5, and lingyun :p

Technically all the best cubes (F2, GuHong, AV and more) are fakes. So are all the crappy dollar store cubes. Really the only way to identify a fake one is too look for the rubiks logo. If it's not there, its fake.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlindingAngel

YouTube
Visit Channel
An official (non-fake) rubik's brand cube will have a rubik's logo on one of the center stickers. Rubik's brand cubes aren't that bad; the problem is that they are not adjustable, so it's basically up to luck whether yours is loose enough to turn quickly.

But I doubt that its easy to copy the logo and produce fakes/imitations with the rubik's logo on it.

CubingCockney

It's extremely hard to tell nowadays whether they are fake or not, even cubes being sold as Rubiks cubes could still be fake, the only way to actually tell if its fake or not is to take it apart. If it's actually real then it should blow up in your face, and then you should hear the voice of God shout game over :/ its up to you, I wouldn't take the risk.