• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately for you, a 3x3 cube has 20 pieces to solve, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get away with memorising much less than that (allowing for a couple of buffers). M2/OP is a very common method nowadays, and has the potential to be sub-1 eventually. It's not difficult to learn imo - certainly no more so than a method like yours that does orientation and permutation separately. If you want a really easy method, then Old Pochmann edges as perhaps easier than M2 edges. But they are kinda slow.
If someones going to invest time in learning BLD, they mise well just jump straight into M2. I found it wasnt any harder to understand it then OP

RNewms27

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use visual memo (very inefficient) and with only a few solves done before, my time can be around 5 minutes. Execution is purely Old Pochmann. Making letter sequences might be the simplest once you learn it.

SamKennedy

After Christmas I'm going to be doing a little experiment to see how (if) self-hypnosis can help with memorisation, I'll make a thread once I've got something useful to post :)

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need major help with BLD. I can`t memorize what I did so I am going to ask the professionals about BLD. Is there a begginers way for memorizing setup and cycles? Please HELP!!!!!!

You can't memorize your setup moves? If so, just practice doing solves with your eyes open, or even close your eyes when doing the moves, and open after to see what happened. Every setup move should be no more than 4 moves. Also go through every letter and make sure that you have a very efficient setup move. Practice!

WCA
2012CHIE01
Note: I'm very bad at BLD. I've had so far under 5 successes.

However, this seems like good advice:
Setup moves just require practice. Like coolster said, just do it with your eyes open a lot, and eventually it'll become easier.
For memo of the cycles, I use this method for both corners and edges (a letter for each sticker). Memo also becomes easier with practice.

ilikecubing

WCA
2011KULS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need major help with BLD. I can`t memorize what I did so I am going to ask the professionals about BLD. Is there a begginers way for memorizing setup and cycles? Please HELP!!!!!!

There are numerous ways for memorizing.
For setups,I would suggest to look intuitively upon them,you just need to know the target sticker and the simplest way to bring it to the target spot without disturbing the buffer.Else learn algs for setups,they are usually small.
Cycles are something you need to adapt yourself to.Just practice a lot,they might be a pain initially but later you get a habit of them and they become easy.

A Leman

If you want some advice about very easy memo methods make a single letter image list and use that and/or use sentences with words that start with the letter you are memorizing. These are not the best methods, but they are easy and work. Then you could try to expand to letterpairs and/or PAO.

ScottTheCuber

WCA
2013GUEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help with BLD

Guys there is a comp coming up called UIUC fall 2013.
I signed up for bld with only have like 2-3 bld solves and im nervous and it takes me 15 to solve it blind
can you guys give me competition TIps to calm down and not to worry im excited but no at the same time.:confused:

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just dont worry. simple as that. who cares if you mess up? i know you always want to do your best, but focusing on it isnt going to make it any easier to do well. just practice a lot and when it comes time to solve, it is the exact same as at home. in all honesty, there will be other competitions so if you get a poor time at this one it isnt the end of the world.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First of all, do more solves. If you're using decent techniques (letter pairs), then it shouldn't take that much practice for you to get around 5 minutes, or at least sub-10.

Second of all, try to compete exactly like you solve at home. If at home you just start your solve right away without thinking about it, then don't sit there and think about it before your competition solve etc.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just dont worry. simple as that. who cares if you mess up? i know you always want to do your best, but focusing on it isnt going to make it any easier to do well. just practice a lot and when it comes time to solve, it is the exact same as at home. in all honesty, there will be other competitions so if you get a poor time at this one it isnt the end of the world.

In addition to this, the best of the best DNF frequently also. Any good BLD solver has plenty of DNF's under their belt. Just relax, and don't fret about it :)

ScottTheCuber

WCA
2013GUEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First of all, do more solves. If you're using decent techniques (letter pairs), then it shouldn't take that much practice for you to get around 5 minutes, or at least sub-10.

Second of all, try to compete exactly like you solve at home. If at home you just start your solve right away without thinking about it, then don't sit there and think about it before your competition solve etc.

OMG! NOAH! I cant believe you answered thanks for the help! Its because of your TUT i do BLD! I use your scheme you taught!

Thanks for the tips to you TO!

In addition to this, the best of the best DNF frequently also. Any good BLD solver has plenty of DNF's under their belt. Just relax, and don't fret about it :)

Thanks to you also also also!

Noah if i get a official solve would you watch the video!

Last edited by a moderator:

c4cuber

WCA
2013TALU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Help needed for sub 20 BLD execution only

hey guys. i have been averaging about 35-40 secs just because of slow execution. Noah Arthurs does 10-12 secs memo and executes under 30. so, it proves that he has sub 20 execution :) . that's why, tips are needed. that's all. thank you.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
hey guys. i have been averaging about 35-40 secs just because of slow execution. Noah Arthurs does 10-12 secs memo and executes under 30. so, it proves that he has sub 20 execution :) . that's why, tips are needed. that's all. thank you.

It would be helpful if you gave more information. Like what method do you use. What is your average execution time. What is the breakdown for edges and corners. And so on. Also a video would be most helpful to determine what is your weak points in execution.

c4cuber

WCA
2013TALU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It would be helpful if you gave more information. Like what method do you use. What is your average execution time. What is the breakdown for edges and corners. And so on. Also a video would be most helpful to determine what is your weak points in execution.

i am sorry for not giving many infos. i am using 3 style comms for both corners and edges. i memo for about 10-15 secs. my execution time is 25-30 secs. that's where i am weak. that's all. again sorry because i can't post a video for being in a backward area.