• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3x3 BLD Help?

Alright, so I watched badmephisto's tutorial a while ago and I feel like I'm comfortable enough with the method and algorithms and such. When I try and solve it, though, usually when I look at the cube I did something wrong, even though I feel like I did everything right. I have had a couple of successes, but often times there's a few corners or edges orientated incorrectly and sometimes it's all wrong.

I'm just wondering if my successes will increase the more I attempt to solve, or if there's a common problem that people might have when trying BLD for the first time.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's totally normal to keep DNFing when you start out with BLD..it just takes more practice.

But just to make sure you fully understand the method you're using, I'd advise you to write down your memo and solve the cube sighted according to your memo. If you can get like 10 successes in a row then it's probably just your execution or memo causing you to DNF. If you do not get constant successes with sighted solves, check your memo and find out what mistakes did you do and learn from them.

Skullush

WCA
2011SAKO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's totally normal to keep DNFing when you start out with BLD..it just takes more practice.

But just to make sure you fully understand the method you're using, I'd advise you to write down your memo and solve the cube sighted according to your memo. If you can get like 10 successes in a row then it's probably just your execution or memo causing you to DNF. If you do not get constant successes with sighted solves, check your memo and find out what mistakes did you do and learn from them.

That's what I thought. I have tried that once, so I'll try it out a few more times and see how it goes.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
please use the search function or look around at least a little before making a thread, there is a thread with almost the exact same title that was last posted in just yesterday, we don't need 2 active threads for every topic.

cincyaviation

WCA
2010HOVL02
please use the search function or look around at least a little before making a thread, there is a thread with almost the exact same title that was last posted in just yesterday, we don't need 2 active threads for every topic.

Sorry? This was just a different question so that's why I made a new thread.

same generic title though...

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

As opposed to what?

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As opposed to him not understanding his BLD method yet cause he apparently just started, and he said that he had solves where he felt he did everything correctly, but still ended up with a DNF.

So besides execution and memo, he might not fully understand the concept of breaking into new cycles, or parity, etc.

edit: wrong word just now

Last edited:

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As opposed to him not understanding his BLD method yet cause he apparently just started, and he said that he had solves where he felt he did everything incorrectly, but still ended up with a DNF.

So besides execution and memo, he might not fully understand the concept of breaking into new cycles, or parity, etc.

Wouldn't that result in a DNF every time? :p haha i'm jk. I understand what you mean.

reyrey

WCA
2011NOAM01
BLD Help

I didn't know if this should be here or in the BLD section (But since this is a questions section I decided to try my luck here)

I recently decided to start learning BLD.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I memorize the pieces? (Even memo-ing what R U R' U' looks like isn't easy for me at the moment)
2. Which method should I use?

Thanks in advance

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
1. How do I memorize the pieces? (Even memo-ing what R U R' U' looks like isn't easy for me at the moment)
2. Which method should I use?

Thanks in advance

1: You don’t have to memorize the effect of all your CFOP algs for BLD.
In BLD you will use algs that only affect a small part of the cube (the pieces that you want to move and sometimes some extra)
Example: commutators cycle 3 pieces, T-perm swaps two edges and two corners.
Take a solved cube:
- perform a T-perm watch how two edges and two corners have been swapped
- now do an L2 (set up move)
- perform T-perm again
- L2 again (undo set up move)
- Voila! You have moved three edges and your corners are restored

Typical memo methods:
- Assign a letter, word or “image” to each sticker on the cube = create your own you lettering-scheme, then memo a story or sentences based on the cycles of the stickers
- Visual
- Tapping stickers with your fingertip, creating a path around the cube that you memorize
-
Examples of lettering scheme:
- Take a “random” corner sticker as A and go clockwise around the cubie or face and assign letters to all stickers. Make sure the lettering patterns makes sense to you. I have labeled clockwise around cubies so I have ABC stickers on the same corner.
- During memo you make words, sentences, stories with these letters. You can make them up during memo or you can create a fixed list of words where each word holds two letters. (A typical Letter Pair List has 500+ words)
-
- Words per sticker: example for Orange – Green cubie;
- Orange sticker is Carrot (Orange with a little green)
- Green sticker is Parrot (Green bird, orange beak)
- Both words describe something green-orange (so you know which edge it is), the dominant color is the specific sticker on that edge.
- Make a sentence or story with these words (each word has only one sticker so you will have a longer story to remember)

2: A good method to start is Old Pochmann as it only requires three PLL algs to get started: T, Y and R-perm
Lateron you may add more algs to reduce the number of set up moves required.
This method has a high movecount but is still capable of sub 2 solves.

The best Old Pochmann tutorial in my opinion:
Old Pochmann tutorial by Joel van Noort: http://solvethecube.110mb.com/blindfold.html
It also has some extra algs to reduce move count for set up moves.

Other methods:
3OP: first orient pieces, then move to the right position
You solve “pieces”

M2 for edges: where you use an M2 move to cycle edge pieces (requires some new algs and you must be very aware of the pieces that belong in the M slice)
You solve “stickers”

BH: Commutators: place two pieces with a single short alg. Very low move count but not easy to master
You solve “stickers”

Check out the BLD sub forum for a large amount of info on memo and execution methods.

Last edited:

samchoochiu

WCA
2010CHIU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
BLD new method help

I doing a random BLD method taught by seerusgod on youtube. I heard its the easiest tutorial out there.
1. orient corners
2. Permute corners.
3. solve edges
thats the gist of this method but I noticed that I need to memorize like 25 sequences during inspection. I am having a hard time with memorizing.
I understand the method and can do it while writing down on a paper and just solve it without looking at the cube. But I can never do it memorized. I need a new method I do not think I will get anywhere with this method.
I see people be able to sub 8 min within the first day or 2. I don't I can do that with this method.
I NEED A NEW METHOD! I am looking at M2/Old Pochmann by eric limback.
But I kinda want an easy easy method that doesn't make my head explode during solving.
thanks

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So are you having trouble with memorising the sequences that tell you what piece to go to next, because if you are, all methods will have that.
If its more to do with the method, I would reccomend learning full Old Pochmann, because it is very simple, and easy to understand.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunately for you, a 3x3 cube has 20 pieces to solve, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get away with memorising much less than that (allowing for a couple of buffers). M2/OP is a very common method nowadays, and has the potential to be sub-1 eventually. It's not difficult to learn imo - certainly no more so than a method like yours that does orientation and permutation separately. If you want a really easy method, then Old Pochmann edges as perhaps easier than M2 edges. But they are kinda slow.