• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

God's Number in QTM is 26

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Finally! I waited for this result for so long!
Huge, huge, huge congrats!

"We did not find optimal solutions to each position, but instead only solutions of length 20 or less." - uhm, is that state correct? Or just a copy-paste error from the 20f text?

rokicki

Thanks, all! Morley spearheaded getting the computer time, and that
was the main impediment.

You're right, there are some typos I'll have to fix. I'm editing this from
Hawaii (just got back from the beach) otherwise I'd be more "on" it.

I *think* the current STM lower bound is 18, but I'm not sure.

Also note that we did not prove there is only a single distance-26 position
(but I strongly suspect there is only that one, and indeed I have some
machines going right now looking for more deep positions.) More on that
when I get back to the mainland.

I hope everyone is having fun in Jersey City; I really wanted to go but
am having fun in Hawaii nonetheless.

Thanks to the event organizers for giving us space in the program.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It surprised me that there so few 26q* positions! The number of 20f* positions are about 490,000,000, but there are only a handful of 26q*?! Mindblowing!

Also, what are the chances to explore the distance/#states table? For the face turn metric, 15 depth is the farthest where we know the exact number of positions, and that result is many years old by now. I noticed that the estimation of depth 20 is updated (from 300,000,000 to 490,000,000) some times ago, I don't know if that is true for the other depths. I guess it would require tons of computational resources; is there a chance that there will be an algorithm specifically aimed for this? Currently, how much work would be required for distance 16?

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome!

And yes, STM next, please :)

Superflip with or without fourspot is 16s*, superfliptwist with or without fourspot is 17s*. Maybe superflip variations will finally not be among the hardest positions?

cuBerBruce

WCA
2006NORS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
is there a video of the announcement?

This is my video of the main part of the announcement. I was not aware in advance that this announcement would be made, and so I had just had to shoot this from where I was and with the digital camera I had with me. The audio is distorted; there is much background noise; and people near me talking and drowning out what the speaker was saying, at times. Hopefully, someone else has a better recording.

Last edited by a moderator:

cubernya

Premium Member
I just had the idea: I wonder what God's number is if we exclude all primes? So just R and R2 are allowed, not R'. Of course, we could require R2 and R' because of symmetry, but that is indifferent.