• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Gigaminx Discussion

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With the new Shengshou Gigaminx being released, there seems to be a revival of interest. So it seems like a good time to start a central thread to discuss methods, techniques and algs.

I did a quick search for other threads, but couldn't find anything worth bumping. However, these were of note:

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?24133-Gigaminx-Solving
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...worth-a-thousand-words-(Gigaminx-method-idea)

Each lays out a different "method" besides standard Redux. The first one talks about Balint's Method, which seems to be how Sam Myung and myself are solving it.

I also found another thread where GigaBLD was briefly discussed (although never attempted) We'll probably be speedsolving-centric in this thread, but I thought that was a cool idea worth sharing:

https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?42813-Megaminx-MK-Gigaminx-BLD-Thread

anyway... discuss! What's your method? What brand of Gigaminx are you using? What techniques or sub-steps have you found to be helpful?

Also, feel free to post solve videos here as well as on the main forum. It'd be cool to have a collection of speedsolve videos, walkthrus, tutorials, etc.

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Disclaimer: I do not own, currently solve, have ever solved or even played around with a gigaminx.

Ok, now that's out of the way, the method that i would use to solve came about when i was discussing with berd how to solve/how i would solve a gigaminx when he first got his. I never bothered posting it in the methods thread because gigaminx wasn't an official event. It's also probably pretty similar to current gigaminx methods:

1) F2L+ star centres
2) using the S2L mainly, build the F2L+ Star edges and solve.
3) S2L+LL centres missing out 2 adjacent ones.
4) solve the edges that correspond to the first half of the Balint/Westlund (i can never remember the difference) S2L using the 2 unsolved faces.
5) finish centres and the edges in those blocks.
6) Freeslice the remaining edges
7) Megaminx.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For comparison, here's what I've been doing:

1. Redux F2L Centers
2. Redux and Solve Star Edges (seems easiest to solve each edge one at a time, rather than 'Redux all 5 first, then do Star')
3. Redux and Solve F2L Edges + Corners (creates 1x4 "blocks")
(F2L is fully solved)
4. Redux S2L Centers
5. Redux S2L + LL Edges
6. S2L + LL (normal Mega method steps)

We diverge at about Step 3 in the method you described. So I wanna see if I can have you or Berd clarify some things:

For Step 3, are you:
A) Solving 4 S2L centers, leaving 1 S2L center and the LL center unsolved?
B) Solving 3 S2L centers, leaving 2 S2L centers and the LL center?
C) Solving 3 S2L centers + LL and leaving just 2 S2L centers unsolved?

For step 4, I think you're thinking of Balint. And I like this idea, especially for people that are already solving Mega using Balint's method.

Instead of freeslice for the S2L edges, I've been trying to do more of an AvG sort of thing where I try to build more than 1 edge at a time. I don't get to use it all that often, since I can't reliably find the right pieces with any sort of speed.

But after reducing 2 or 3 edges, I'll start storing them in the back. Then when I've solved 2 or 3 more, I'll store those next to the others, and so on... forcing all my unsolved edges more to the front. By the time I have 9 edges left, I'm working purely around L2C, which goes by pretty quick.

Last edited:

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
I'm using a really bad MF8 Giga, thinking of getting an SS soon. My PB single is 22:xx.xx, and I used the most intuitive method I found.
1. Solve centers in whatever order
2. Pair any 5 edges and then insert them onto one face.
3. Pair any 5 edges and then insert them like F2L pairs.
4. Pair any 10 edges and then insert them adjacent to your F2L.
5. Pair any 5 edges and insert them, making an edge-paired "S2L".
6. Pair the last 5 edges.
7. Solve like a Megaminx (I use the Balint method for S2L).
Nothing special.

Seems like a cool thread, looking forward to some tips and tricks. Maybe if enough people get sub10 (lol), it'll become a WCA event.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
We diverge at about Step 3 in the method you described. So I wanna see if I can have you or Berd clarify some things:

For Step 3, are you:
A) Solving 4 S2L centers, leaving 1 S2L center and the LL center unsolved?
B) Solving 3 S2L centers, leaving 2 S2L centers and the LL center?
C) Solving 3 S2L centers + LL and leaving just 2 S2L centers unsolved?

Well, I'm bit actually sure if need uses the method but I would go for 3 S2L+LL solved so option C.

You could also go do it a bit more like Yau5 and solve the whole back and do Yu Da Hyun S2L (tbh I would probably do that cause I sort of use that method)
Instead of freeslice for the S2L edges, I've been trying to do more of an AvG sort of thing where I try to build more than 1 edge at a time. I don't get to use it all that often, since I can't reliably find the right pieces with any sort of speed.
That's interesting. I think it may work better for the method I would use because you have less pieces to search for, especially after the L2C is solved. The fact that there are two centres unsolved is also nice because it mess you can pair up multiple edges at once.
But after reducing 2 or 3 edges, I'll start storing them in the back. Then when I've solved 2 or 3 more, I'll store those next to the others, and so on... forcing all my unsolved edges more to the front. By the time I have 9 edges left, I'm working purely around L2C, which goes by pretty quick.

This sort of links to what I said about the Yau5/Yu Da Hyun variation thing though this may be slightly more difficult, you do know what edges you are looking for.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This sort of links to what I said about the Yau5/Yu Da Hyun variation thing though this may be slightly more difficult, you do know what edges you are looking for.

I'm glad you mentioned Yau5. There are a few moments where I find myself doing Hoya-like techniques while building edges between solved and unsolved centers. I wonder how useful those sorts of things can be during edges. I may try some out with slow solves.

So when're you buying a Shangshou? :)

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Disclaimer: I do not own, currently solve, have ever solved or even played around with a gigaminx.

Ok, now that's out of the way, the method that i would use to solve came about when i was discussing with berd how to solve/how i would solve a gigaminx when he first got his. I never bothered posting it in the methods thread because gigaminx wasn't an official event. It's also probably pretty similar to current gigaminx methods:

1) F2L+ star centres
2) using the S2L mainly, build the F2L+ Star edges and solve.
4) solve the edges that correspond to the first half of the Balint/Westlund (i can never remember the difference) S2L using the 2 unsolved faces.
5) finish centres and the edges in those blocks.
6) Freeslice the remaining edges
7) Megaminx.

What exactly is the benefit of missing out 2 adjacent centers first? The edge pairing is not easier I'd say as we still have to slice back and forth all the time?

So, here is the way I solve my Gigaminx:

1) First 6 centers.
2a) Using S2L, build star edges and place them directly after being formed.
2b) Using S2L, build F2L edges and pair them with a corner and insert directly after being formed.
3) Last 6 centers.
4) S2L using Westlund (I have a fixed order for my edges on the Megaminx, and here I would create the edge I need and place it directly, also already pairing with corresponding corners) until the last two faces.
5a) Create any 2 edges and store them on the FD slots.
5b) Create any 5 edges and store them on U.
5c) Create the last 2 edges on FL and FR.
6) Megaminx (whereas I only have to solve the last 2 faces).

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
What's the chance that Gigaminx will eventually be added as an official WCA event? I don't have one yet, but sometime in the next few months I expect I'll break down and get one, and although I don't think I have any hope of ever ranking high in any WCA event I would love to compete and get a ranking. My long term goal is to rank average or better in every WCA event. That'll probably take 20 years at the current rate. Or it would if I went to a competition.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
I'd have thought the chance of gigaminx being made an official WCA event were about zero...
Just think of the time required to scramble, not to mention that most attempts would likely breach the 10 minute limit.
And it's not like it adds anything particularly unique or interesting. We regularly hear calls to remove 6x6 and 7x7 for that reason.
It's a cool puzzle, though.

Edit: ninja'd by Lid

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I can see scrambling being an issue. It would have to be a Mo3 or single, rather than Ao5, but it's not like MBLD, big blind, or FMC are quick either. It would certainly be a rarer event, but in the off chance I ever organize a competition I intend to hold a pseudo-official gigaminx competition, unless I can do an official one by then.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem is just how long it takes. With 10 minutes being the unofficial time limit for most events, and the fact that there are only a few people in the world that can finish a gigaminx in less than 10 minutes, it's pretty safe to say it will never be official (he said, late to the party). But if competition organizers were ever interested in having unofficial side events, I think gigaminx would be a fun one.

Back to method talk...

I've noticed in Nick Rech's and Sam Myung's tutorials/walkthrus... when they start Last 6 Centers, both of them begin with the face opposite their Star, usually gray, and then work their way around the remaining 5.

I usually save gray for last 2 centers. Sometimes I'm able to use it as a medium to transfer pieces from one side of the puzzle to the other. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Does it actually matter?

WCA
2014BLOC01
I usually save gray for last 2 centers. Sometimes I'm able to use it as a medium to transfer pieces from one side of the puzzle to the other. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Does it actually matter?

I'd guess that's due to the different big cube methods you're used to. They're both used to Yau, where you build the two opposite, then build your way around, while you're used to Hoya, where the opposite center is the last one you build. I'd guess y'all just defaulted to what you're used to.

imvelox

WCA
2013FURL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've noticed in Nick Rech's and Sam Myung's tutorials/walkthrus... when they start Last 6 Centers, both of them begin with the face opposite their Star, usually gray, and then work their way around the remaining 5.

Well I do it too, i solve the gray center at the L2C, but I will try the other method, never thought about it ayy

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh, I've come up with a method for gigaminx and it could have some potential:

1: Solve first 6 centers. (cross center and the 5 adjacent)
2: Solve star and F2L edges and insert them (Finishing F2l like most other methods)
3: Solve 4 centers adjacent to the LL center (Leaving one adjacent center and the LL center unsolved)
4 Make Balint edges with a Hoya like approach using the unsolved centers. (Including the Balint edges of the unsolved center)
5: Move the 2 Balint edges out of the way and solve the last 2 centers. (Leaving ten unsolved edges)
6: Do the last ten edges. (However you want.)
7 Solve rest like a megaminx.

I did a solve with it and it seems to work well.
Also if someone else has come up with this method, I'd like to know.

Reactions: Dom

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I finally broke down and got a SS gigaminx. Other than @YouCubing it looks like everybody here is solving F2L before finishing edge pairing, which is what I did my first solve, and promptly dropped that practice. Here's what I do:
1. White center
2. 5 centers adjacent to white center
3. Pair 5 random edges, whatever is handiest, on S2L, and place them in the places belonging to the star edges.
4. Pair 5 more random edges and place them in the F2L slots
5. Solve 4 centers surrounding the grey center
6. Solve the grey center and the last remaining adjoining center
7. Pair remaining edges. Right now my default is to place solved edges on the U layer, but it would be faster to place them around the equator first
8. Megaminx

PB after 4 solves is 29:48.50. I think I can go sub-20 with practice. I need to make my mechanical gigaminx scrambler, because I think it takes almost as long to scramble as to solve.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, I average sub-8 and here's what I do:
  • F2L like already explained several times
  • Last six centers, with grey first. Once grey is done, hold it on the right and do the other centers. Lookahead is way easier like this.
  • Now is where it gets interesting: start pairing up S2L edges, then solve them with their corners. I used fixed order S2L, with yellow first, so I would start by pairing up orange/yellow or green/yellow, whichever I see first. Then solve that edge. Then find either the edge for the corresponding pair (purple/orange for orange/yellow and green/blue for green/yellow) or the other yellow edge. Solve that edge and its corner, if applicable. Finish off the yellow block with the other pairs that are left, then move on to blue and red, solving all pairs. When you get to green, solve the blue/green edge and the blue/green/purple pair. From there, finish edge pairing similar to yau5, solve the last two pairs, then last layer.