• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Getting unknown OLL repeatedly

Thread starter #1
I didn't disassemble my 3by3 or anything but now I'm getting a wrong OLL again and again even when F2L is in correct order. Currently dealing with the picture attached. What's going on? IMG_20180701_222309-compressed.jpg

Mike Hughey

Super Moderator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
YouTube
MikeHughey1
If you have that and the first two layers are solved, it most likely means you twisted a corner somehow. You'll have to twist it back. It's not possible for only one corner to be misoriented if the first two layers are solved.

With some cubes it's not that hard to just twist a corner in place. See if you can do that so that you have an OLL that you recognize.

No algorithm to twist a corner. Just use your fingers to grab the corner and twist. The corner will rotate 1/3 of the way around. I would twist the bottom left corner (in the picture) and twist it so that the yellow faces you. Then solve like normal.

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
channel/UCXxvOAAJVVoR7UfjeAv_bjA
@ZF slow I don't really know what sexy, sledge is. Can you please post the algorithm?
That would be a terrible algorithm, but what he meant was:
Sexy move=R U R' U'
Sledgehammer=R' F R F'
Also,
Inverse Sexy=U R U' R'
Inverse Sledgehammer (Hedgeslammer)=F R' F' R
so
R U R' U' R' F R F' R U R' U' R' F R F'

The algorithm that I would use would be twisting the top right corner clockwise and then doing
M' [sexy] M [inverse sexy]=Rw U R' U' M U R U' R'

Thread starter #10
That would be a terrible algorithm, but what he meant was:
Sexy move=R U R' U'
Sledgehammer=R' F R F'
Also,
Inverse Sexy=U R U' R'
Inverse Sledgehammer (Hedgeslammer)=F R' F' R
so
R U R' U' R' F R F' R U R' U' R' F R F'

The algorithm that I would use would be twisting the top right corner clockwise and then doing
M' [sexy] M [inverse sexy]=Rw U R' U' M U R U' R'
@GenTheThief Oh okay, got it now. That seems long, manual seems much easier. Thanks!

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
DGCubes
@GenTheThief Oh okay, got it now. That seems long, manual seems much easier. Thanks!
Just for reference, that algorithm was referring to the OLL case you'd get after twisting a corner. It's impossible to twist a single corner with an algorithm; it happens because a corner was accidentally twisted at some point earlier in the solve, so it needs to be twisted back manually (mathematically, it doesn't matter which corner you twist, as long as you twist it in the opposite direction of the initial twist). This does not mean you should twist corners in other situations, and you'll only ever need to twist a single one (competitors have gotten in trouble for twisting more than one corner per solve in competitions, and for twisting corners when their cube was solvable without it).

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoyoXoG
Just for reference, that algorithm was referring to the OLL case you'd get after twisting a corner. It's impossible to twist a single corner with an algorithm; it happens because a corner was accidentally twisted at some point earlier in the solve, so it needs to be twisted back manually (mathematically, it doesn't matter which corner you twist, as long as you twist it in the opposite direction of the initial twist). This does not mean you should twist corners in other situations, and you'll only ever need to twist a single one (competitors have gotten in trouble for twisting more than one corner per solve in competitions, and for twisting corners when their cube was solvable without it).
Man, you seem so smart with the math-side of cubes :)