1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting unknown OLL repeatedly

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by PuzzleGuy, Jul 1, 2018.

1. PuzzleGuy

PuzzleGuy Member

Jun 22, 2018
    I didn't disassemble my 3by3 or anything but now I'm getting a wrong OLL again and again even when F2L is in correct order. Currently dealing with the picture attached. What's going on? IMG_20180701_222309-compressed.jpg

2. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    If you have that and the first two layers are solved, it most likely means you twisted a corner somehow. You'll have to twist it back. It's not possible for only one corner to be misoriented if the first two layers are solved.

With some cubes it's not that hard to just twist a corner in place. See if you can do that so that you have an OLL that you recognize.

LightFlame_ and DGCubes like this.
  3. ZF slow

ZF slow Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Yeah, I've had this before when I've unknowingly twisted a corner. Twist it back clockwise and do sexy,sledge,sexy,sledge

CrushburnHQ and PuzzleGuy like this.
  4. PuzzleGuy

PuzzleGuy Member

Jun 22, 2018
    @ZF slow I don't really know what sexy, sledge is. Can you please post the algorithm?

5. Duncan Bannon

Duncan Bannon Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Here
    Twist a corner to get a normal OLL.

6. PuzzleGuy

PuzzleGuy Member

Jun 22, 2018
    @Duncan Bannon Ok thanks. But how do I do this? What is the algorithm?

7. Duncan Bannon

Duncan Bannon Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Here
    No algorithm to twist a corner. Just use your fingers to grab the corner and twist. The corner will rotate 1/3 of the way around. I would twist the bottom left corner (in the picture) and twist it so that the yellow faces you. Then solve like normal.

8. PuzzleGuy

PuzzleGuy Member

Jun 22, 2018
    @Duncan Bannon Well twisted it, then got an Aa perm. Now solved. Thanks everyone!

Duncan Bannon likes this.
  9. That would be a terrible algorithm, but what he meant was:
    Sexy move=R U R' U'
    Sledgehammer=R' F R F'
    Also,
    Inverse Sexy=U R U' R'
    Inverse Sledgehammer (Hedgeslammer)=F R' F' R
    so
    R U R' U' R' F R F' R U R' U' R' F R F'

The algorithm that I would use would be twisting the top right corner clockwise and then doing
    M' [sexy] M [inverse sexy]=Rw U R' U' M U R U' R'

10. PuzzleGuy

PuzzleGuy Member

Jun 22, 2018
    @GenTheThief Oh okay, got it now. That seems long, manual seems much easier. Thanks!

11. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    Just for reference, that algorithm was referring to the OLL case you'd get after twisting a corner. It's impossible to twist a single corner with an algorithm; it happens because a corner was accidentally twisted at some point earlier in the solve, so it needs to be twisted back manually (mathematically, it doesn't matter which corner you twist, as long as you twist it in the opposite direction of the initial twist). This does not mean you should twist corners in other situations, and you'll only ever need to twist a single one (competitors have gotten in trouble for twisting more than one corner per solve in competitions, and for twisting corners when their cube was solvable without it).

ZF slow and RedJack22 like this.
  12. Man, you seem so smart with the math-side of cubes :)

DGCubes likes this.
  13. FunCuber

FunCuber Member

May 31, 2018
    Probably just a corner twist

14. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Shoutout to everyone who's had a non-cuber twist like 7 corners one way and 1 corner the other way, thinking they're making it SUPER IMPOSSIBLE

LightFlame_ and DGCubes like this.
  15. My algorithm for that OLL is M' U M U2 M' U M.

16. PuzzleGuy

PuzzleGuy Member

Jun 22, 2018
    @LightFlame_ Thank you!