General MGLS discussion.

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by StachuK1992, Jun 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. oll+phase+sync

oll+phase+sync Member

Oct 1, 2010
    http://cube.garron.us/MGLS/I.htm

I just finished with the "I" case, this are the names I gave to the patterns. For "Im" I would use the same names.

I0: -

I1: R2-Antisune

I2: Bi Head

I3: Headlight Fish

I4: Plain Fish

I5: Fire Fish

I6: Broken Doublesune

I7: Broken Sune ( U-Symetrie, Windmill, mirrored. Symbol from german history)

I started with learning RU only algorithems though I'm not sure I keep that.

2. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to 2007. ;)

3. ilikecubing

ilikecubing Member

Oct 28, 2010
    WCA:
    2011KULS01
    YouTube:
    musicfreak9312
    Sorry for the Bump..

MGLS-F is quite good and it surely has a lot of potential,also...its average move count for ELS-CLS is 1 move lesser than LS-OLL so it sure is great...

but the major disadvantage I see in using it is forcing a CLS skip is not as easy as forcing an OLL skip(specially with the introduction of RV recently,WV etc.).There are so many variations for OLL such as OLLCP,ELL,ZBLL(which includes COLL,L4C,L3C etc.) and a lot more which help in getting an edge PLL or even getting a skip if you know the right alg for the case.There are no such variations with CLS as far as my knowledge is concerned...correct me if I'm wrong,so you can get a bad PLL sometimes

I wanted to ask if there is any variation/subset of CLS to control the type of PLL we get,like OLLCP for OLL.Has anyone yet thought about it? I assume recognition of such a subset will be tougher than recognizing OLLCPs but has something like this been experimented/tried?

4. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

You don't want to force a CLS skip, you want to force an ELS skip. This is easier than in CFOP, and it's more likely to be useful.

Controlling PLL with CLS would probably require a lot of algs, to the point that there are probably more efficient methods to learn instead. There are a few particular tricks for PLL control, but they're variations on particular cases. Anyhow, unless you can achieve some pretty advanced PLL control, the advantage seems unclear to me. PLL is actually a pretty nice step.

So: CLS skip are not as common. That's a feature, because ELS skip + nice CLS is more likely. And PLL control is not as fruitful as some other approaches.

(I'd say to use MGLS-Z or MGLS-P if you want a more natural use of CLS,)

5. lerenard

lerenard Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Tennessee
    Sorry if I shouldn't be posting in an old thread, but here are my thoughts on MGLS:
    I started using it with Petrus (EJF2L) and now I'm doing FreeFOP. I do a lot of edge control while I'm making blocks and inserting pairs, so I'll usually end up with a WV/SV case (which I am in the process of learning) and if I haven't finished orienting edges by my last slot + pair I use VHLS. However, I really hate the cases where a corner is connected but on the wrong side of its edge, and so I had the idea to use ELS on only those cases. Someone who knows full MGLS could then do CLS but so far I've just been doing R U' R' followed by WV.
    Also, sometimes when I make my initial block I'll find 2 edge pieces that can easily make a pseudo 2x2x3 with a corner missing and then after I have the rest of the F2L I'll come back and do WV (again, those who know CLS would use it).
    I don't think these are original ideas but I was wondering what you thought about them and if you could think of any other ways to non-traditionally take advantage of MGLS?