• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] GAN 356 X

The Gan 356 X is GANCube's latest flagship 3x3. It contains new design features such as the numerical IPG GES nuts used to evenly tension the cube, and the magnetic capsules that can be inserted into the cube and used to remove other capsules. It features beautiful stickerless shades that make piece recognition extremely easy. I recently received the GAN 356 X as a birthday present. After hundreds of solves on the cube, (a lot not timed) I can definitely say that it is the best 3x3 cube on the market and will appeal to a large demographic of cubers. How do I know this? I've tried and purchased many other 3x3 flagships from brands such as MoYu, QiYi, GANCube, GuoGuan, Yuxin, Mofang Ge and Mofang JiaoShi. All of these cubes have features that will appeal to some cubers, but I believe the GAN trumps all of the exclusive features of these cubes. It has a buttery, smooth and airy feel, much like many of its predecessors. It is quiet, innovative and while it might be expensive, the cube definitely covers for the price. Also, it is only four more Australian dollars than the Angstrom GAN Air SM. And even though the Angstrom comes pre-lubed, tensioned and professionally set up, the X comes pre-lubed, with the most preferable GES nuts for most people, and the it is perfectly tensioned thanks to the numerical IPG GES nuts. Now, I will talk about the new GES nuts that come with the 356 X. They can be altered to three different settings; 0.6, 0.8 and 1.0, 0.6 being the loosest tension and 1.0 being the tightest. With the four different GES nuts and three settings on each nut, that results in 12 different handfeels, meaning even if you have to go through every tension, there will most likely be a feel suitable for you. Next I will briefly explain the new GMS (GAN Magnet System) capsules. These capsules can be inserted into the cube through the edge piece. There are four different magnet strengths, Strong, Medium, Light and Null (No Magnets). Overall, the GAN 356 X is definitely a great cube, but not for beginners simply because of the hefty price tag. If anybody read to the end of the review and has a GAN 356 X, please reply what setup for it you are currently using, make sure to include the GES nut, GMS magnet and the numerical IPG setting you have it on. Thank you!

dfquigley

Damn.

Been using a valk 3, and have been playing with it getting it set up pretty nicely.

356 X showed up today.

I'm blown away at the difference.

Worth every penny

CuberFles

Received my 356X today. Factory lubed, sadly, but that can be overcome. What really p*sses me off is that It lacks 2 yellow magnetic tubes while I have 2 greens too many. Anybody else with this issue? I can't really start setting it up like this. Will stick with my 354 M for now. Have asked GAN to ship 2 extra yellows, waiting for reply.

By the way all the optional magnets are weaker than the default ones which is a missed chance. I'd like to see at least one option with stronger magnets.

Attachments

• GANHOW.jpg
    GANHOW.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

nop

What really p*sses me off is that It lacks 2 yellow magnetic tubes while I have 2 greens too many. Anybody else with this issue? I can't really start setting it up like this. Will stick with my 354 M for now. Have asked GAN to ship 2 extra yellows, waiting for reply.

where did you order it from? I'm guessing straight from GAN from your comment, but not necessarily.

I have one coming in from Cubicle next week.

AMCuber

I would contact whoever you bought it from, they might give you extra 2 yellow magnetic capsules.

nop

Just a note: the cubicle IPG v5 Stickerless I got from Cubicle had the correct items. There's no bag or tool anymore though, so if you're a new person like me, then don't forget to order a tool (and bag if you want)

CuberFIes if you want let us know your results please :D I'm really interested if GAN gave you what you needed

*EDIT* Ok, I got my tool, and when I went to open the nut case (that was a joke), I found the tool was already in there...it's just camouflaged extremely well! nobody I showed it to saw it until I opened the case and pointed at it lol

Last edited:

Tony Acevedo

YouTube
Visit Channel
I love this cube, and unsurprisingly when I switched from my Rubik's brand my f2l got dropped from sub 20 to sub 15. I even broke my Pb shortly after. The feeling is indescribable, and I have to say that it's worth the $60

SUB-20 cuber

To be fair i recommend other cheaper puzzle like the gts 2 m and on my Yuxin little magic i do better on it than gans air sm

DekuDaCuber

The Gans 356 X is such a good cube before i used Moyu GTS3 M. Personally i use the strong magnets and the yellow ges nuts on 1.0. I can agree that the price is not for the new to cubing but it is a need when you are very into cubing. i love how smooth the 356 X is and i can do my sub 10 second solves using the Gans as my main.

CuberFles

Sorry to be a bit retarded :) GAN couldn't do much for me they said (the guy barely mastered the English language in fact) but I contacted The Cubicle and couple weeks later they sent me a container with what appears to be a collection of leftover tubes. So now I have some spares :)

nop

yeah the cubicle is nice. a couple of my corner pieces came loose from the stalks. they offered to send me the corners, but showed me how to fix it myself instead if i wanted. i fixed them, and we didn't have to hassle with getting spares sent out.

I've had to fix them a few times after, too. dunno what's up with those corners lol

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just got mine 4 days ago and got a PB on the fifth solve (16.55) breaking my previous 1 (18.15 seconds)
day two I got another PB (16.40)
Day three I got my first sub-15 PB (14.18)
Day four and five (5 is today) I didn't get any PBs because I was trying to become CN from being Dual CN :) LOL
Anyway, amazing quality, even for the price. Speaking of:
I got it from cubezz.com (#notsponsored) which is in China, and I was able to get the Numerical IPG version for $49, compared to $60 plus tax. Shipping took forever (33 days) but shipping was free and there was no tax (after all China is Communist, so the no tax thing makes sense)
Right, back on topic. Overall, I think the quality boils down to some key characteristics, those being the fact that it's customizable and the fact that it's user friendly. The tool free thing was AMAZING, because I can't mess up the tension, and when I'm walking my dog or in the car, I can change the nuts. Amazing cube, and it's not surprising that Feliks got a WR avg on it. Great cube. Btw, I use strong magnets and yellow nuts. :)

Reactions: nop

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Gan 356 X is GANCube's latest flagship 3x3. It contains new design features such as the numerical IPG GES nuts used to evenly tension the cube, and the magnetic capsules that can be inserted into the cube and used to remove other capsules. It features beautiful stickerless shades that make piece recognition extremely easy. I recently received the GAN 356 X as a birthday present. After hundreds of solves on the cube, (a lot not timed) I can definitely say that it is the best 3x3 cube on the market and will appeal to a large demographic of cubers. How do I know this? I've tried and purchased many other 3x3 flagships from brands such as MoYu, QiYi, GANCube, GuoGuan, Yuxin, Mofang Ge and Mofang JiaoShi. All of these cubes have features that will appeal to some cubers, but I believe the GAN trumps all of the exclusive features of these cubes. It has a buttery, smooth and airy feel, much like many of its predecessors. It is quiet, innovative and while it might be expensive, the cube definitely covers for the price. Also, it is only four more Australian dollars than the Angstrom GAN Air SM. And even though the Angstrom comes pre-lubed, tensioned and professionally set up, the X comes pre-lubed, with the most preferable GES nuts for most people, and the it is perfectly tensioned thanks to the numerical IPG GES nuts. Now, I will talk about the new GES nuts that come with the 356 X. They can be altered to three different settings; 0.6, 0.8 and 1.0, 0.6 being the loosest tension and 1.0 being the tightest. With the four different GES nuts and three settings on each nut, that results in 12 different handfeels, meaning even if you have to go through every tension, there will most likely be a feel suitable for you. Next I will briefly explain the new GMS (GAN Magnet System) capsules. These capsules can be inserted into the cube through the edge piece. There are four different magnet strengths, Strong, Medium, Light and Null (No Magnets). Overall, the GAN 356 X is definitely a great cube, but not for beginners simply because of the hefty price tag. If anybody read to the end of the review and has a GAN 356 X, please reply what setup for it you are currently using, make sure to include the GES nut, GMS magnet and the numerical IPG setting you have it on. Thank you!
Yellow nuts, Clear (strong) magnets, and 0.6 for the Numerical IPG setting.

Reactions: nop
I have been using the Gan 356 X for 2 months now and I can say that it's a fantastic cube! Definitely worth the price. Also, I think this is just me, but upon using it, it is much difficult to turn with the strong magnets than my GTS3M, but that was all fixed when I siwitched to medium magnets. Still stable (which I like better), yet easier to turn.