• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Gan 356 Air SM

I did love my gan356air, but after about 1500 solves it started to get bad, I have been cleaning and relubing it alot but it just stays bad. I really what a new one BC as it it now I can't use it any longer.

AMCuber

I did love my gan356air, but after about 1500 solves it started to get bad, I have been cleaning and relubing it alot but it just stays bad. I really what a new one BC as it it now I can't use it any longer.
That happened to all my Gan cubes. I guess that is just what happens with all Gan cubes.

Galcor117

That's why i Flame Gan right now, their cubes get less perfect after 1000-2000 solves.

Funny is that the Valk gets better after 1000+ solves xD
Really?
My Valk is absolute garbage after a 1000
And my SM is fine after tens of thousands

rancourt

Really?
My Valk is absolute garbage after a 1000
And my SM is fine after tens of thousands

I imagine it's a question of turning style, really, and where your particular approach stresses the pieces.

There's also the fact that the SM's honeycomb surfacing distributes lube a bit differently...and either this reacts favorably with your turning style and lube of choice, or it doesn't. I note that my own SM (an Angstrom, set up for stability over everything else) went from gummy during break-in to dry-but-pleasant-enough shortly thereafter. I have limited experience here to draw from, but I get the impression that the SM is just a dry-feeling cube, even when lubed, and this may be desirable for some, and less so for others.

I'm not sure that the SM is "my cube" -- I'm pondering upgrading to a 356X with faster lube around Christmastime -- but I get the impression that it's polarizing cube, and whether you love or hate it depends heavily on whether you're fighting the cube with your turning style, or not.

Hazel

Premium Member
should i buy the 354 or
mgc 3
It depends on what you're going for – the MGC is great for beginners/intermediate solvers, it's good up to about a ~13-14 second average, maybe even more. The 354 is probably objectively better, but it is more expensive and it only comes in stickerless which is something to keep in mind.