• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Gan 356 Air SM

I did love my gan356air, but after about 1500 solves it started to get bad, I have been cleaning and relubing it alot but it just stays bad. I really what a new one BC as it it now I can't use it any longer.

I did love my gan356air, but after about 1500 solves it started to get bad, I have been cleaning and relubing it alot but it just stays bad. I really what a new one BC as it it now I can't use it any longer.
That happened to all my Gan cubes. I guess that is just what happens with all Gan cubes.

Really?
My Valk is absolute garbage after a 1000
And my SM is fine after tens of thousands
I imagine it's a question of turning style, really, and where your particular approach stresses the pieces.

There's also the fact that the SM's honeycomb surfacing distributes lube a bit differently...and either this reacts favorably with your turning style and lube of choice, or it doesn't. I note that my own SM (an Angstrom, set up for stability over everything else) went from gummy during break-in to dry-but-pleasant-enough shortly thereafter. I have limited experience here to draw from, but I get the impression that the SM is just a dry-feeling cube, even when lubed, and this may be desirable for some, and less so for others.

I'm not sure that the SM is "my cube" -- I'm pondering upgrading to a 356X with faster lube around Christmastime -- but I get the impression that it's polarizing cube, and whether you love or hate it depends heavily on whether you're fighting the cube with your turning style, or not.