• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2L Tips (no long algs) for Annoying Cases

Tom Joad

I average about 26 seconds and your videos are exactly what I've been looking for, thanks!

Tom Joad

The case at 56 seconds... what do you do if it needs to be inserted in the diagonally opposite slot?

I currently do RUR' RUR' R to pair them up, which seems inefficient.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice video.

At 1:27, I prefer to put the corner at the back and sledgehammer to set up the pair. U L F' L' F.

At 4:40 you can also set up with a sledgehammer. U R' F R F'.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
The case at 56 seconds... what do you do if it needs to be inserted in the diagonally opposite slot?

I currently do RUR' RUR' R to pair them up, which seems inefficient.

I'm glad you like the video! It means a lot to me.

Sorry I can't really tell what your alg is trying to say, maybe you're missing some U moves or y rotations in there?

Oh my god. I was about to refer you to the part of the video where I explain how to get it into the diagonally opposite slot...
BUT I FORGOT TO EDIT IT INTO THE VIDEO.

with the edge at Front/Right and the corner right on top of it, with the slot at Back/Left, you can do:
(R U R' U')2 + insert, or
(U R U' R')2 + insert, or
U L2 u L2 u' L2, or
U R' F R F' y + insert

i usually use the 2nd or 3rd one, haven't decided which one i like better.

Nice video.

At 1:27, I prefer to put the corner at the back and sledgehammer to set up the pair. U L F' L' F.

I forgot about that one. I think I prefer the one in the video though, but this is really fast too.

At 4:40 you can also set up with a sledgehammer. U R' F R F'.

That solves a different EO too. I learned that at some point but forgot about it again. I will definitely start using that for edge control.

I was going to put your solutions in the video as annotations and give you credit, but I guess youtube won't let me do annotations and an end screen at the same time, so I'll put it in the description. Thanks for letting me know about these!

Good stuff. Subscribed.
Also, does anyone know of a nice way to solve the case where the F2L corner and edge are in adjacent slots, and the stickers facing you match? The setup is R U R' L' U' L F' U F.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Then DNF

edit:

first of all, you can reverse your setup moves to solve the case?
but if you want another way, i found one.

sledgehammer the edge and then do U' L' U L to pair them
as a bonus, if you do the full insert, it also pairs up the last pair in sqAree's scenario ;)

R' F R F' U' L' U L R U' R'
and then in sqAree's scenario, do y' R U' R' at the end

Last edited:

SenorJuan

"Does anyone know of a nice way to solve the case where the F2L corner and edge are in adjacent slots, and the stickers facing you match? The setup is R U R' L' U' L F' U F. "
Not exactly 'nice' but I came up with these many years ago..
F' U' F L' U' R U M' x'
F' U' F r' F' R F M'

Macky's Cubefreak site may have some ideas, maybe among the Jeff2l subsection?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah my reply was meant light heartedly, but seriously, I would try to solve the other pair first. We focus a lot on F2L case solutions as if that's all F2L is about, plus lookahead I guess, but there are other skills that are also important, like choosing the best pair, preserving pairs, using open slots, knocking stuck pairs out of slots ahead of time, etc.

If I ended up with my last two pairs stuck as mirrors of the above case, it wouldn't be bad luck, it would be because I screwed up.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll be sure to check out the spreadsheet, and the multislot is also pretty cool.
Yeah my reply was meant light heartedly, but seriously, I would try to solve the other pair first.

I feel like it might disrupt the flow of the solve if I saw that I got this case, then had to search for another pair to do instead (which is why I wanted an alg). But you're absolutely right that it would be better to just prevent it or choose another pair to track ahead of time, etc.