F2L Algorithms, How Long?

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by Zyrb, Jul 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Zyrb

Zyrb Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Kansas
    WCA:
    2010BRIG01
    YouTube:
    ZyrbCubing
    Hi,

I am currently trying to learn all 42 Friedrich algorithms, and I wanted to know how many I should be learning a day. One a day seemed too slow, then I tried 4 in a day, and that made me go near crazy. So maybe I've already answered my question, but I want to know what you think. Should I force myself to learn them super fast, or should I learn them more leisurely.

2. RopedBBQ

RopedBBQ Member

May 30, 2010
    F2L ALGORITHMS? No, no, no. Try watching video tutorials, you dont NEED to learn algorithms. You can do F2L just with a few cases.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

This is what you need. F2L is not ever ever about algorithms, unless you are crazy. Maybe when you get really fast. But maybe. F2L should and can be intuitive, especially when you start F2L.

And if you are stuck on learning algorithms, try just learning them at your own pace, and when you get fast with the last algorithm you learned, and can remember how to recognize it, then learn another. However I strongly disagree with F2L being about learning algorithms, unless you are using the beginner method.

3. waffle=ijm

waffle=ijm Waffo

Jun 9, 2008
    Waffletopia
    WCA:
    2008MANA02
    YouTube:
    cubes4lyfe
    Fridrich

its not a fucking friedrice method.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. Zyrb

Zyrb Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Kansas
    WCA:
    2010BRIG01
    YouTube:
    ZyrbCubing
    I've tried to learn the intuitive way, I've watched badmephisto's and monkeydude1313's guides but for some reason my brain works better with a sequence or combination AKA an algorithm. Though, if its worth it I'll try to learn it that way. Also, just as a note I am using the beginners method right now.

5. TheCubeElite

TheCubeElite Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Plainfield Illinois
    YouTube:
    TheCubeElite
    I thought the same thing, until one day my brain just finally snapped and I new all F2L for some reason. I just randomly understood what to do. Give it time. Learn intuitively.

6. Zyrb

Zyrb Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Kansas
    WCA:
    2010BRIG01
    YouTube:
    ZyrbCubing
    Okay cool, do you recommend any certain guide

7. aniu_ta

aniu_ta Member

Apr 18, 2010
  8. Sa967St

Sa967St Moderator Staff Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    WCA:
    2007STRO01
    YouTube:
    Sa967St
    I learned them in a day and a half.

9. uberCuber

uberCuber Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    WCA:
    2011THOM01
    this made me lol

10. flan

flan Premium Member

May 29, 2010
    UK
    WCA:
    2010REES03
    I didnt know about intuitive f2l when I learned the algorithms because Dan Harris' book didn't tell me too. The algorithmic method set me back a month or two untill suddenly I could see what the algorithms were doing. I now feel like I'm solving f2l intuitivly. Even with the algorithms once your used to them it doent feel like your blindly applying and algorithm like pll does. It feels like solving the cross or block building feels like...logical. Personally I dont think algorithmic f2l is as bad as its made out to be. But what do I know

11. Zyrb

Zyrb Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Kansas
    WCA:
    2010BRIG01
    YouTube:
    ZyrbCubing
    ...You guys win, I've learned the basic intuitive F2L. What about the top layer? I still use the beginner method for that.

12. uberCuber

uberCuber Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    WCA:
    2011THOM01
  13. Zyrb

Zyrb Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Kansas
    WCA:
    2010BRIG01
    YouTube:
    ZyrbCubing
    ok, cool thanks

14. jiggy

jiggy Member

Oct 21, 2009
    London (UK)
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  15. cincyaviation

cincyaviation Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Lawrenceburg, IN
    WCA:
    2010HOVL02
    YouTube:
    ichirofan7
    ahem, MGLS.
    You would have to learn 2 look OLL and PLL for this method anyway, so do that, but when it comes time to learn OLL, consider MGLS also.

16. frogmanson

frogmanson Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Typically, people are gonna tell you to not learn any algs for the standard F2L positions except for a few of the flipped corner cases. Personally I learn algs for the non-standard F2L cases.