Does your Zhanchi pop?

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by HiWhatIsMyName, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. 1 in a solve

1.9%
  2. 1 in 2-5 solves

5.3%
  3. 1 in 6-10

8.3%
  4. 1 in 10-20

14.3%
  5. 1 in 20+

70.2%
  1. HiWhatIsMyName

HiWhatIsMyName Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Yeah, does your's pop (and explode)? With or without torpedos? I have one with torpedos, pops and explodes a whole lot, tightened it, locks up more, cant cut, pieces catch and pops out. loosen it, explodes.

2. Ninja Storm

Ninja Storm Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2012ELLI01
    YouTube:
    crazyninja300
    Both of my Zhanchi cubes have never popped. Maybe you should do the edge mod for it?

3. CheesePuffs

CheesePuffs Member

Jan 5, 2012
    YouTube:
    CubeTube21
    Lube it then tighten it. I had like the same problem. I used traxxas but I'm sure maru lune or lubix would be amazing too.

4. HiWhatIsMyName

HiWhatIsMyName Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Done it
    Not planning on buying lube :( , only have a crappy 3 in 1 lube

maybe i'll give it to my friend whos new to cubing, and get a guhong v2 for myself

anyone else have any tips? (multi posted again!)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. Sarahjdes

Sarahjdes Member

Only problem I have is when I'm scrambling it without using a predefined scramble (when I'm just messing with it too harshly) a corner will sometimes rotate, so I end up with my whole cube solved but a corner. But I do not have pops when I'm solving my cube.

6. ressMox

ressMox Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Mine pops, but only because I deliberately have it very loose. And even then it's rare.

7. Ickenicke

Ickenicke Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Sweden
    YouTube:
    NickeCubing
    My ZhanChi pops, but rarely.

8. radmin

radmin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    WCA:
    2010HARD02
    I shortened the springs on mine. That way, it feels loose due to less friction but is actually tighter.
    ZH becomes clicky when loose or when the springs are shortened, which I like.

I clipped 1.5 turns off using a Dremel's grinding bit. I put a little 30k Diff oil on the spring before reassembling. Other people have just swapped the springs with something else and gotten good results.

As far as popping, I get pops when it's too loose.

9. cityzach

cityzach Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Manhattan, NYC
    WCA:
    2010GOLD01
    YouTube:
    cityzach
    My ZhanChi pops occasionally, but not very often. It did however, pop when i was officially solving at Princeton Fall 2011 :mad:

10. ben1996123

ben1996123 Banned

May 17, 2009
    Ponyville
    WCA:
    2009WHIT01
    YouTube:
    ben1996123
    I can't vote on the poll because I've had mine since November and it hasn't popped yet. Maybe you should add a "Never" option to the poll. With torpedos.

11. chrissyD

chrissyD Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    WCA:
    2009DICK02
    YouTube:
    chrissdkn
    pops all the time. Only got it last week

12. andyfreeman

andyfreeman Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Probably 1 in 50 when I am getting careless and it needs lubing. Torpedoless and quite loose. I have refined my turning style to being more accurate.

13. Zarxrax

Zarxrax Member

Jan 7, 2009
    North Carolina
    Took the torpedoes out of mine, and I have never experienced a pop.

14. Yuxuibbs

Yuxuibbs Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    WCA:
    2011CHEN54
    YouTube:
    Rainpaw4
    Mine never popped and I've had it for almost 5 months. I like looser cubes and I took the torpedoes out.

15. 5BLD

5BLD Member

Apr 14, 2011
    England
    WCA:
    2011LAUA01
    YouTube:
    5BLD
    Mine doesn't pop but sometimes it explodes

16. MostEd

MostEd Member

May 21, 2011
    St. Petersburg Russia
    WCA:
    2012BETA01
    YouTube:
    MostED13
    once in ages i can get a pop

17. conn9

conn9 Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Cheshire, England
    WCA:
    2012TALB01
    YouTube:
    9conn
    I've done about 1000 solves with it and I think it has popped twice. I've not tensioned it at all, just lubed it.

18. Eleredo

Eleredo Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Belgium
    Anyone who selected a choice other than "1 in 20+" badly needs to learn how to tension their cubes. I mean, even with the anchors removed, my Zhanchi barely pops. More of than not I already did hundreds of solves before I get a pop.

Of course every Zhanchi will pop at some time or another; the Zhanchi is pop-resistant, which is not the same as pop-proof. There will never be a cube that never pops, unless you tension it so it becomes a rock, but good luck with speedsolving then.

edit: Oh, and as for the setup: it now has torpedoes and it's lubed with silicon spray. I put the torpedoes back in not because it pops less with torpedoes but it just does not feel right when I solve my Zhanchi with the torpedoes removed.

I guess that's because I've been using it for a long time before I first took the torpedoes out so I was already very used to them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  19. Cheese11

Cheese11 Member

Mine does not explode (/ ever popped). It has torpedo's and is lubed with Lubix, Z-Lube, and some hobbyshop shockoil. Gotta clean it out soon though.

Therefore, I will not answer the poll.

20. HeyCuber

HeyCuber Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Finland
    Mine hasn't really popped during solves. Although, sometimes when I practice algorithms really fast, it might pop. Removing torpedoes made it pop worse so I'm using them at the moment.