• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do you solve edges or corners first on 3bld?

Edges or Corners first on 3BLD?

• Total voters

randomtypos

Do you have a specific reason why?

Personally I memo corners first, edges, then exe edges, corners, since there are less corners. I see videos of many people doing corners first so I was just wondering.

Clarification: Do you EXECUTE edges or corner first

Edit:Anyone who voted Corners, can you guys explain why it is easier for you to do corners first? I know my friend does audio pairs for edges then visually memos his corners so he can see his 3cycles easier when he exes his corners first. Just curious.

Last edited:

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just to be clear, you meant during execution right? If that's the case I'm surprised even though it's early that so many more people voted for edges first. I thought corners first was way more popular.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh I see. It's not worded like that in the poll =P

Edges first is perfect for audio I think. My memo dropped from 5 minutes to 2 minutes in a day after I started using it.

randomtypos

Anyone who voted Corners, can you guys explain why it is easier for you to do corners first? I know my friend does audio pairs for edges then visually memos his corners so he can see his 3cycles easier when he exes his corners first. Just curious.

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
I execute corners first. When Noah got really good I tried doing audio edges, but I discovered that I would always forget the last few pairs. For me audio corners followed by images for edges seems to work best.

Of course for multi I do edges first to make parity easier, but I use Journey for multi so that's not a problem.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
For those of us who have been doing it for several years, unless they've changed, most execute corners first. The reason is that we traditionally used shorter-term memory for corners because we didn't think shorter-term memory would be sufficient to do a job as big as edges. It's only since people started regularly cracking the minute barrier that it now seems reasonable to put edges in short-term memory.

Now that we see it's possible, it's almost certainly better to put the edges in short-term memory, since they can fit and short-term memory is more reliable and requires less effort and time to memorize.

I haven't taken the plunge yet of trying to switch. I probably will someday, at which point I will regret that I can't change my vote on this poll. But for now, I had to vote for corners.

I do suspect that switching to edges (and a thousand practice solves or so) is probably all that would be required for me to become consistently sub-minute. Although I'm slow enough at execution that I will probably still then be averaging 59 seconds. :)

A Leman

There are a few reasons I like corners first.(I realize edges first can be faster, but oh well)
1.I can use audio/tapping/visual to memorize them last and solve them first. (I don't think I can breaze over edges as easily as corners)
2. This is consistant on big cubes so I don't have to change my order based on the cube size.
3. I am much more confident about my edge comms so I can increase my tps at the end.

DrKorbin

WCA
2011GRIT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In single 3x3 bld I solve edges first (the reason was described by Mike Hughey and Noahaha; in fact, Noahaha convinced me to switch from corners first).
In multi-bld, all cubes except last are solved corners first.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For those of us who have been doing it for several years, unless they've changed, most execute corners first. The reason is that we traditionally used shorter-term memory for corners because we didn't think shorter-term memory would be sufficient to do a job as big as edges. It's only since people started regularly cracking the minute barrier that it now seems reasonable to put edges in short-term memory.

Now that we see it's possible, it's almost certainly better to put the edges in short-term memory, since they can fit and short-term memory is more reliable and requires less effort and time to memorize.

I haven't taken the plunge yet of trying to switch. I probably will someday, at which point I will regret that I can't change my vote on this poll. But for now, I had to vote for corners.

I do suspect that switching to edges (and a thousand practice solves or so) is probably all that would be required for me to become consistently sub-minute. Although I'm slow enough at execution that I will probably still then be averaging 59 seconds. :)

Exactly. I've thought about switching to audio edges for years but just didn't bother enough to revamp my whole memo system and practise to get good at it.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I memo edges then corners, and solving corners first then edges. Trying to clean up my memo and actually use proper letter pairs, to be able to transition to comms better and for easier multi memo in future.

Martial

WCA
2013BONA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
With edge->corner memo + corner->edge solving, I couldn't remember my edges, so I reversed all my system (see Noah's video), and now it's easier to remember three items for corners in long term even if I memorized them quickly.
Edges in short term memory was a little harder in the beginning but now it's pretty cool ;)