• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do you solve edges or corners first on 3bld?

Edges or Corners first on 3BLD?

• Total voters

CuberM

WCA
2014HOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do solve edges first, but I also memorize them first. I do it a kind of awkward way. I know people (noah) uses audio for edges, I think I should try that.... My memo, at the moment , is at about 2 minutes with visual memory for everything. Should I try it noah's way?

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I have decided to solve corners first. When I did my 1st BLD attempt today, I was off by 4 edges because I did N instead of T. In my 2nd attempt(edges 1st), I had to repeat audio edges memo so many times that I was too tired to memo corners.

szalejot

WCA
2015HERM01
Corners first.

Why? There fewer corners than edges, so it easier to do audio memo on them. So I memo corners last and solve them first. This way I can have decent accuracy without spending too much time on corners memo. For me audio memo is much faster, than letter pairs, and if I solve right after memo I can use short time memory only.

CuberM

WCA
2014HOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For M2, it's just D' L2 D M2 D' L2 D to solve parity, and the parity for corners is much longer. For Turbo, the way I do it is also much easier than the parity for corners first. On Old Pochmann, it's the same, though.

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
What? That algorithm just scrambles my cube...
Also, I do corners first and I use D' L2 D M2 D' L2 D for parity.
You can do corners first parity with that alg, but you have to remember the last corner target longer.
BTW, by Y perm, I meant the Old Pochmann Y perm. The one without the F anf F'

STOCKY7

WCA
2011STOC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think me meant 'last' ie: You solve all but one corner (since its an odd number of targets), solve the edges, then solve the last corner (its the last thing you do - done with Y perm).

Basically doing this means you can use the shorter easier parity alg, which you would use anyway for edges first.

Ps. Edges first = Best!

SoySauS

I memo corners, memo edges, execute edges, execute corners. So Edges first.

i think parity is easier with edges first, and I have to remember the edges stuff for less time, which is super handy since there is more of them.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
Just started blindsolving a few months ago and I solve corners first.
I make sentences for edges and then quickly memo corners with just the letters and execute corners while I still remember them. I think that's better 'cause edges are more in number and I can decrease my memo time with that.

Also I use OP/OP so maybe edges first are better for M2 and stuff.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just started blindsolving a few months ago and I solve corners first.
I make sentences for edges and then quickly memo corners with just the letters and execute corners while I still remember them. I think that's better 'cause edges are more in number and I can decrease my memo time with that.

Also I use OP/OP so maybe edges first are better for M2 and stuff.
I think it's more common to do the safe memo on corners and the quick one on edges.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's more common to do the safe memo on corners and the quick one on edges.
It is now, yes. But 5 years ago it was more common to do the safe memo on edges, because it seemed like edges were too much for audio memory. Then that was proven wrong, and everyone switched.

I've fully made the switch now, but I'm still not quite as fast as I once was the old way. I assume I just need some intensive practice to get there; right now I still tend to take far too long constructing the audio memo.